New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lunch spot near Africa Sky?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be staying at Africa Sky for a few days this summer. Can anyone recommend a good lunch spot for my wife and myself that is close by?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like not many here go out to lunch while staying at Africa Sky. Probably mostly folks that stay for only one night and are gone the next day.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Correct.

For most people they arrive at the airport at night after a horrible flight, hopefully collect their luggage, take care of the rifle paperwork at the police office, and arrive at African Sky for a late dinner and some sleep. Early the next morning back to the airport.

If you want to spend an extra day or couple of days to go sightseeing you can arrange for a driver and guide to take you around to the places of interest. I did that on one trip and went to see Mandella's prison (what's left of it), a museum downtown, and some other interesting things. Downtown Johannesburg should probably be avoided unless you are with a guide.

Talk to whomever is working the desk at check in and they can arrange pretty much whatever you want to do. Prices are reasonable.

To answer your question about lunch, there is a mall in Sandton that has some nice places to eat lunch.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Some suggestions for staying at Africa Sky for a few days.

Their man will take you anywhere in the "Combie" (Van). They know the restaurants. Ask the owners, Schutte or Deidra or the front office lady, Loene. They will help you a lot in finding fun/safe/interesting places to go.
They can get a guy named Ted, who is very knowledgeable, to give you an excellent/informed tour of Soweto and other interesting places, and take you to the Aparthied museum. (should reserve ahead for Ted. He is very popuar.) Africa Sky will also drop you off and pick you up ar the Aparthied museum. Spend at least one hour inside. (It's a very sobering experience.)
Also, Tribes is fun to eat at. It's downtown somewhere. Africa Sky will take you anywhere and pick you up when you want, for a very reasonable charge.
There are a couple of big flea markets in Joburg that are great for native art. (A good one is at a big shopping center. I think it is called "Rose Bank". I forget the details right now, but Deidra will know where it is and be happy to help you plan a a great day. You can have a lot of fun bartering at those places. Very relaxed. Lots of quality art. Brian

PS. My wife and I have stayed in Joburg many times and we still are very carful where and when we go on our own. B.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3340 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More Flea Market info for fun in Johannesburg:

On every Sunday you can go to the Rooftop Rose Market. My wife says it is the "best' for native art. Deidra at Africa Sky will have the details. Enjoy! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3340 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Head straight to Emperors palace and eat at ' TRIBES ' restaurant,

http://www.tribesafrica.co.za/pages/

TRIBES

Tel: +27 (11) 397 6512
Fax: +27 (11) 397 6513
Email: info@tribesafrica.co.za
Address: Shop 23
Emperor's Palace
Easily accessible from the Rhodesfield Gautrain station
Trading Hours: Monday - Thursday -
11:30am to 22:30pm
Friday - Saturday -
11:30am to 23:30pm
Sunday -
11:30am to 22:00pm

It has an awesome menu with some of the best steaks on the planet.
It is close to the airport and Africa Sky.

Cheers

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Just to see the reaction - has anybody who has eaten at tribes tried the monkey gland sauce?

And, yes I know what it is ....

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa Sky has lunch available for an extra few dollars. Loved staying there, will do so again.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. We will be staying for three nights before catching another flight to my hunt. Although we are not interested in doing the tourist thing in SA, a soft bed and good food are important to my wife, and a happy wife is important to me.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've had Monkey Gland Sauce at many places in S.A. Big Grin Good stuff! tu2

One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Seamaster, what dates are you at Africa Sky?

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is July 9,10,& 11. That may be off by a day or two as I can not put my hands on the schedule at this moment.

One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Monkey Doodle Doo

Let me take you by the hand
Over to the jungle band
If you're too old for dancing
Get yourself a monkey gland
And then let's Go,
my little dearie,
there's the Darwin theory
Telling me and you
To do the Monkey Doodle Doo

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2 rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JR, I am going to get some of that monkey gland sauce.

Also, Where did that little poem "Monkey Doodle Doo" come from? I must know. Thanks, Brian