New
Find
Notify
Tools

Delta or SAA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Between SAA and Delta to Johannesburg which of these two would you guys recommend? With the flight cancellations that SAA has imposed seems travel agents are have some difficulty re-booking flights??

one of us
posted Hide Post
My flights with SAA were not affected by the recent cancellations as I believe the changes were to cancel Saturday and Sunday outbound from Dulles. Mine was booked for Thursday the 28th of May but I do believe they caused some major problems with the cancellations and many travelers/agents were definately scrambling. Guess there flights were not filling up so rather than let me have a cheap upgrade they just cancelled flights.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
SAA

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
Delta.
American airline. Gotta help our own companies. Can't complain if we let them die and we didn't use them. Just my opinion.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the Boeings that Delta flies to yield a little more creature comfort than the SAA Airbus. For whatever reason, all of the Airbus models I have flown seem to have plywood covered with a thin cloth for seat bottoms, and the ventilation seems inferior.

Of course, when you're talking about a fifteen hour flight, you're talking in terms of "less uncomfortable" rather than "more comfortable".

The bottom line is, go on the one that goes when you want to go, and charges you the least.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Starting in June (I think - definitely July) the ATL - JNB flights are nonstop on 777s, I hate that stop over for refueling that SAA has always done on my flights...

I am booked on Delta and look forward to the nonstop...have to agree with Trophyman on supporting US companies...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is brutal on either,,, in coach,,,I save my money for trophy fees instead of sitting in the front of the plane but I sometimes question that about 10 hours into the flight. The Delta flight has more creature comforts, better ventilation, food comparable,, airline food,,,in flight service on both ok, and if the 777's are going non-stop and pass the senegal or cape verde refueling stop,,, no question, go Delta. The SAA airbus is a beast. I just wish I was on either right now headed back to the bush!

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Non stop is great certainly but...

going through amsterdam, yes even with the paperwork for guns (which is really no problem), you will save a bunch of cash. Out of Detroit Delta was 2400, SAA was 2350, and the NW/KLM fare was 1633. Yes, that was coach, but with needing tickets for the wife and kids this year it was too good to pass up.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
SAA has a Buy One - Get One Free deal right now on Premium Class.

Travel from either Washington or New York in our Award Winning Premium Class to any of these destinations served by South African Airways, and bring your “sweetheart” along for Free.

The free one just has to be one the same date and flight. (Can't use it for later.)

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I don't know since the news today has indicated that two SAA crews have been busted for hauling significant amounts of drugs to the UK in their own luggage. Quite a haul. Makes you wonder about the safety of their personnel as they fly those big birds and look to your comfort. . .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drwes:
It is brutal on either,,, in coach,,,I save my money for trophy fees instead of sitting in the front of the plane but I sometimes question that about 10 hours into the flight. The Delta flight has more creature comforts, better ventilation, food comparable,, airline food,,,in flight service on both ok, and if the 777's are going non-stop and pass the senegal or cape verde refueling stop,,, no question, go Delta. The SAA airbus is a beast. I just wish I was on either right now headed back to the bush!

What drwes said...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+2

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i wouldn't fly SAA unless it was the only airline to Africa. if it was, i might consider taking a boat!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13172 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After having flown Delta last summer to JHB, no doubt in my mind, wouldn't consider anything BUT Delta.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
I've given up on SAA simply because of the Airbuses they use. I too find them very uncomfortable. I fly from Seoul Korea, so I use Cathay; the fly 747s.

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote