New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifles in RSA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a meeting in Cape Town next year in Sept. Since I was already going to be in that part of the world I thought I might as well get some hunting in with Buzz and Co (CMS). My question is what do I do with the rifles when I am attending the meeting? I plan to fly Delta to JNB.

Thanks

Jas

Posts: 82 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I would check with the hotel if they have a safe you can use , and remove the bolt or the fore end to make it inoperable. Those bits you can carry with you.

Alternatively pm me and I will send you contact details for someone in Cape Town that can store them for you in cape town at his secure gun lock up.

Kiri

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once you have your SAPS permit, you can travel around RSA legally with your firearms. As long as you are flying on SAA (and not one of the discount airlines), you just check your firearms and take them with you. The hotel in CT will have a safe where you can store them. Don't be leaving them in your room or in a parked vehicle.

Or you can stay at Afton Guest House at JNB on arrival, leave your rifle there in the safe, and they will be happy to deliver it to the airport when you are leaving for Zim.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
I'm with Russ. Just leave it at the Afton house, they will take care of it with no worries.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:

Or you can stay at Afton Guest House at JNB on arrival, leave your rifle there in the safe, and they will be happy to deliver it to the airport when you are leaving for Zim.

When my wife and I went to RSA in 2010, the first 5 days or so were on a photo tour of KNP. We left my rifle with Afton until we returned for an overnight before departing for my hunt.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask afton house to help you with a SAP storage permit (539?) and jt can be kept there legally, quick and easy, probably do it when you enter at SAP

Posts: 70 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote