New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Travel Nightmares!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Remember the days when an air trip used to be something one looks forward too?

Well, by the looks of things, matters are getting worse and worse.

I have never even thought of some these happening.

Past few days I have read of a plane being turned back by the arrival airport, because the airline changed the TYPE of plane it was flying in??

Same airline, apparently, loaded, and unloaded, the passengers luggage before take off??

A plane was almost at destination and had to turn back, because the airport had some power cuts and many planes are in a holding pattern??

Sadly, all these are happening in Australia!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jetstar!

DRSS

Posts: 1974 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crackerman
posted Hide Post
Traveled internationally for work for a couple of years and had hundreds of domestic flights but no horrible crazy things.

Worst was a night trying to get across the country. Had to get from small state to Chicago.

Got on the plane, then got off.

Got on the plane, taxied, back to the gate, get off the plane.

Get on plane, take off, about an hour out from Chicago had to turn around because weather sucked, and got off the plane.

Posts: 32 | Location: New Hampshire  | Registered: 03 November 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Qantas has had a hugely bad run the last few weeks. Mostly maintenance problems.

DRSS

Posts: 1974 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to Minneapolis for a concert. Then flew to BC for a sheep hunt.

Got to Vancouver. No problem. As we were walking down the concourse to my gate (for a multi hour wait), a Canadian soldier walking the other way collapsed right next to me. He was unconscious. To make a long story short, I helped until doctors arrived.

As I was standing there after the doctors arrived, I noticed some jack ass taking pictures of the soldier and posting them on Facebook. I was f'ing furious. I let him know in no uncertain terms that his phone was perilously close to being smashed. He decided it was safer to leave. He made the right decision.

Well, the woman helping me took me to my gate. If my memory serves me correctly, I had an 8 hour wait. About 7 hours into the wait, they cancelled my flight to Smithers.

I spent the night in the airport hotel. I caught a flight to Smithers the next day. Upon arrival, I learned I had missed my charter flight. They were booked solid. As such, I got to spend the night in Smithers. Now I am down 2 nights.

The next day, I got a local to drive me to some fishing lodge. It was a long drive. We got a local fishing guide to fly me to the main camp, about 20 minutes away.

Arrived at the main camp too late to fly out to my hunting area. I got to spend the night at the main camp. I am down 3 nights.

The next day, I was flown to my area. We arrived safe and sound. I got to spend most of the next 11 days in a one-man tent while it snowed.

I did get my sheep with a single shot at 409 yards.

I still have no idea if the soldier died or not.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry shores good on you for helping the poor soldier. I hope he recovered ok.

I cannot believe that people would rather photograph and post photos rather than assist. What a Dick. I think that their phone would have been quickly inserted up their arse!

Great you got your sheep! You were mighty patient, and dedicated in your pursuit!

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been very reluctant to fly anywhere for the last few years. This is sooooo bad, it keeps getting worse and it seems like nothing is getting fixed. We are failing in so many ways.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Went to Minneapolis for a concert. Then flew to BC for a sheep hunt.

Got to Vancouver. No problem. As we were walking down the concourse to my gate (for a multi hour wait), a Canadian soldier walking the other way collapsed right next to me. He was unconscious. To make a long story short, I helped until doctors arrived.

As I was standing there after the doctors arrived, I noticed some jack ass taking pictures of the soldier and posting them on Facebook. I was f'ing furious. I let him know in no uncertain terms that his phone was perilously close to being smashed. He decided it was safer to leave. He made the right decision.

Well, the woman helping me took me to my gate. If my memory serves me correctly, I had an 8 hour wait. About 7 hours into the wait, they cancelled my flight to Smithers.

I spent the night in the airport hotel. I caught a flight to Smithers the next day. Upon arrival, I learned I had missed my charter flight. They were booked solid. As such, I got to spend the night in Smithers. Now I am down 2 nights.

The next day, I got a local to drive me to some fishing lodge. It was a long drive. We got a local fishing guide to fly me to the main camp, about 20 minutes away.

Arrived at the main camp too late to fly out to my hunting area. I got to spend the night at the main camp. I am down 3 nights.

The next day, I was flown to my area. We arrived safe and sound. I got to spend most of the next 11 days in a one-man tent while it snowed.

I did get my sheep with a single shot at 409 yards.

I still have no idea if the soldier died or not.

I have lost a full day's hunting more than once on trips to halfway around the world. All because of problems encountered with one airline or another.

But I have never experienced anything as bad as what you did, Larry. You win in terms of misery and perseverance, both!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13651 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flew to Atlanta from LAX. We take off out of ATL. We were on a 747, seated upstairs. About 15 minutes after take off, there is a loud explosion and the plane shook. There were a few more. One of the guys said we just lost an engine. Had to dump fuel and return to ATL. They tried to fix or replace engine. That didn't work. We sat for hours. They finally started call name and were redirecting passengers. My party was routed to Kennedy in NY. We then got stuffed on another flight to JB. This was back in the days when sometimes they would land at Capetown. Yep, that was us. Then after a few hours layover, we got to JB. Our luggage and guns did not make it for another day. The PH was at JB. We were going to drive to Zim, but had to spend the night in JB.

Sure am glad I had a clean change of clothes in my carry on. My buddy did not. Popped a few ambien and caught up on my sleep. I think we lost two days hunting, but it was a great trip with good memories.

Cheers, Steve

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Here is a real nightmare!

This individual has no one to blame but himself. And Sidney Montana is a nice quiet little town. You should try it some time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

What an idiot. You can’t fix stupid…..

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13425 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The amazing thing is this sort of thing happens quite often.

The stupidity of some humans defies comprehension!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coming home from Zim. Stop in Dakar, most folks get off. They then announce that something is broke in the navigation system. No Visa, no Yellow Fever vax, we have to stay on the plane. Parts are on the way from America, next Delta flight arrives 12 hours later, no part. Next day still not part. Pilot says we can fly home but only to Miami, then a puddle jumper to Atlanta. Yep, out across the South Atlantic in the dark in a ruptured duck.

Now to be honest, plenty of room to sleep, good food and they kept the restrooms and plane spotless. Still, it was not fun.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Moral of the story: Check your flight plans and your tickets very carefully-and more than once-before you fly! Better yet: Use a travel agent! rotflmo clap clap

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
If you are too stupid to know the difference between Sydney Montana and Sydney Australia, you shouldn’t leave the house. It’s scary the number of idiots in the world. 2020

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13425 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
In the immortal words of John Belushi, “Holy shith!”

I’m going to Paris next week!

Now I find out I have to be sure it’s Paris, France instead of Paris, Texas?!

Time to dial 411!!! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13651 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hope it ain't Paris Idaho.
you'll have to take a jump from Pocatello to Montpelier.
you'll know for sure though when you circle up the valley to the airport in Dingle.

I spent sheeze a couple of Months in Sidney Mt.

quiet is right, I thought our place here with less than 4-K was quiet.
I was beginning to think everyone there was dead.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coming home from Zim. Stop in Dakar, most folks get off.

Not to highjack this thread, but this made me remember a couple of incidents regarding long haul safari flights involving Dakar. I recall stopping off in Dakar on the way back from one safari years ago. A few people did get off, but most stayed on. One young lady decided on her own to get off, thinking that she could stretch her legs and take a break from the flight. She wasn't supposed to get off, of course. They didn't allow her back on the plane. After some crying, arguing, begging, and back and forth she finally was allowed back. And, of course, then there was always the obligatory spraying of the cabin by two stewardesses walking up and down the aisles spraying some unknown substance. Big Grin On another flight over on a different safari, we stopped in Dakar. I looked out the window and noticed a small hole in the wing. A guy sitting next to me had worked on airplanes. He summoned one of the flight crew. We literally watched them patch the hole with duct tape before we flew on to Cape Town and then on to Jo'burg. I never took my eyes off of that taped hole for the rest of the flight. The guy sitting next to me told me that you would be surprised what they used duct tape for with the airlines. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes Dakar.

They walk the isle after the few that depart and check luggage in the bin above the seat. One one trip they were asking about a bag in the bin over head and non of us knew who the bag belonged too. Short story, on came an airline employee who picked up the bag and walked off the airplane, as no one had claimed the bag. Someone on the flight was not paying attention and was missing the carry on bag when we landed state side. That is when I read and learned that on South African Air you are to place your carry on bag above your seats, so that when landing in Dakar for a refuel and inspection, if you are asked if you can identify your bag when you are asked.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess that explains why the flight time was short the fare was cheap.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote