New
Find
Notify
Tools

Malaria?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This July my family and I are traveling to SA and Namibia. We are starting a tour in Port Elizabeth, heading west through Cape Town, then on up the west coast into Namibia (Skeleton Coast, Etosha, etc). From there we have a 9-day hunt an hour and a half drive southeast of Windhoek. From what we understand, these are malaria-free zones, especially at this time of year.

Any opinions on this or the need for anti-malaria drugs would be appreciated. We would prefer not to take them, but want to be cautious.

Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The areas in RSA are malaria free. I have been there twice. IIRC, the areas of Namibia that you are travelling are also malaria free but someone with direct knowledge of the area should speak up.

When hunting in Zim, I used Malerone with no side effects. If you need malaria meds, your personal needs may be different than mine. Consult your provider. Check out www.cdc.gov for travellers info.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You should be OK at that time of year but malaria is an awful thing to have and strict caution is always to be advised.

There are also other medical possibilities you also need to be aware of and you might like to take a look here:

Health In Africa

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
To be safe, Malarone would be my recommendation, if there is any doubt about the possibility of Marlaria. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Bills

Last year we used Doxy-100
3 out of 4 family members had side affect and had to stop taking it.
Dispite the fact 2 of us had used it before with no issue.
If you use it wont be required. If you dont you wish you had.
So just use it and save the head ache.
Will use it again next year dispite what happened.

Regards
Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
yOU DON´T NEED THEM BUT JUST IN CASE mALARONE

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
My family and I have used Doxy without problems.

Women who are prone to thrush may suffer that side effect with it. In children under 12 there is also the remote possibility of stained teeth so we put our 10yo on an alternative.

Despite the fact you are in Malaria free zones your familys health is your responsibility and Malaria is a disease that just keeps on giving.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bills,

This forum has a lot of useful info, but to get medical advice here is not the best thing. Your doctor should know your medical condition and would be best to advise you on the various drugs. I know it is always interesting and even helpful to get others advice, but check with your doc. Having said that, if you ask they will most likely recommend them. I won't take them myself, but then I won't go to areas where malaria is an issue.

I know there is always a chance for malaria in RSA or even parts of Namibia (in the so called malaria free areas), but I'll take that risk over the drugs. By the way, my doctor recommended that I take them when I went to RSA. He checked the areas I was going to hunt/travel via internet to determine his recommendation for me. I declined.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
All the doctors I have ordered Malaria med's for new squat about it and had to look it up.
Have found Malarone to be the best but if the area you are travelling in has bad Tick bite fever (Cattle country) then Doxicyclone , often known as Vibramicine ect is another recommendation.
It is also worth testing for any reactions prior to travel even if recommended by the Doc.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted 30 days last Aug. soutwest of Windhoek and took doxy for ten days made me dizzy and shakey. I would be more scared now of getting AIDS from mosquitos than malaria in Namibia.The bullfrog mosquito repelant worked good.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dye Mound , Texas | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Seek advice from a travel clinic. The only area I question is Etosha. I have been in and around Etosha on a few different occasions and mosquitoes were never a problem but in the past Etosha has been shown as an endemic area. Check with a travel clinic (my regular doctor did not know beans about it).

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catosilvaje:
I would be more scared now of getting AIDS from mosquitos than malaria

Just make sure you and the mosquito are wearing a condoms and you should be OK.
Roll Eyes bewildered Big Grin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Amen!. i can't believe this mosquito/AIDS crap has come up again. be careful that you don't scratch yourself on the same thorn that just scratched your tracker too. oh, hell just stay home where it is safe!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Getting malaria is a whole lot worse than the medication.

The best way to avoid it is to not get biten and this can be done relatively simply with long clothing after dark, nets over your bed and effective repellant.

Don't let it ruin your trip or plans though. It is like gettng run over crossing the street. With knowledge and prior planning it can be avoided.

Aids from mosquitos ! animal rotflmo

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Malarone in SE Asia. I tried Larium late last year, didn't finish the course and will never use it again. I understand the Australian Defence Forces trialled it too, and cut short the trial.

I would like to try Doxy for African visit. I understand that you must complete the course with an eradicator at the end, does anyone know what this is? My GP doesn't, but I am told this is Aus Army protocol.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rockdoc
For doxy we were informed to have it 3 days before arriving in the area.

Course of tablets to run 4 weeks after leaving the area.

We had used it prior on other trips to Africa, with no issue. It is also a good anti biotic so another reason we used it.

This was the recomendation by a travel doctor in Aussie.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks cameronaussie. I was told that doxy still needs nan eradicator at the end? ANybody heard of this?

I had stomach troubles in December in Central Kalimantan I think due to inflamation by Malarone, something I hadn't had before. I thought I would try doxy, plus it's wat cheaper than Malarone.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cameronaussie:
Rockdoc
For doxy we were informed to have it 3 days before arriving in the area.

Course of tablets to run 4 weeks after leaving the area.

We had used it prior on other trips to Africa, with no issue. It is also a good anti biotic so another reason we used it.

This was the recommendation by a travel doctor in Aussie.

I used the same protocol when I was working out of Kenya in the late 80's and middle 90's. It works, if you have no reactions.

On my last three hunts, I have used Malarone because the regimen is less stringent once you leave the area.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I find Doxy very good but one side effect you need to guard against is thrush which can be excruciatingly painful and long lasting.

I'd suggest regular, daily doses of live acidophilis and also make sure your first aid kit contains a tube or two of the appropriate cream to use as a treatment if you do get it.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Current Namibia recs

Malaria: Prophylaxis with Lariam (mefloquine), Malarone (atovaquone/proguanil), or doxycycline is recommended for the provinces of Kunene, Ohangwena, Okavango, Omaheke, Omusati, Oshana, Oshikoto, Otjozondjupa, and the Caprivi Strip.

Current South Africa recs:
Malaria: Prophylaxis with Lariam (mefloquine), Malarone (atovaquone/proguanil), or doxycycline is recommended for travel to low-altitude areas of the Mpumalanga Province (including Kruger Natonal Park), Limpopo Province, Northern Province, and northeastern KwaZulu-Natal as far south as the Tugela River.

Hope that helps

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
A word of caution re: Malarone. I tried it and found that I couldn't sleep while taking that drug. Now I'm a light sleeper and it could just be me, but I couldn't fall asleep while on that stuff. At first I thought it was just jet lag, but after a few days of having to take an Ambien to fall asleep I stopped taking the Malarone and everything was fine. From now on, I'll use Doxycycline.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Labman, did you take the Malarone first thing in the morning?

Larium really freaked me out, really vivid dreams etc. Never again.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Better safe than sorry, so when we have been in the north of Namibia we have always taken Malarone.

This map shows the malaria zone.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Use lots of sunscreen and cover exposed skin as much as possible. Doxy makes you extremely photosensitive.

Ray

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your input. My good wife is going to the travel clinic in a couple of weeks. We'll see what they have to say. Ideally I would prefer not to take anything but my nephew contracted malaria in Uganda a couple of years ago and it wasn't much fun apparently. Both our tour guide and hunting hosts don't think prophylaxis are necessary at that time of year but I'm thinking may-be better safe than sorry.

Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raymedic:
Use lots of sunscreen and cover exposed skin as much as possible. Doxy makes you extremely photosensitive.

Ray

I find it helps if you take it with the evening meal rather than in the morning. tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been taking Larium for so many years.

Always take my pill after dinner.

I am normally so tired I do not get any of those exciting dreams everyone talks about.

Mind you, they probably would be in comparison to what I day dream about!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67006 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malarone is fairly expensive (something like $6/pill), but it is slated to go generic right around the start of your trip. When I took it for 30 days last year, I had one crazy dream but otherwise noticed no side effects. My girlfriend took doxy on the same trip and suffered a bad sunburn on her nose -- enough to make her look like Rudolph for about a month -- and she normally never sunburns. However, if you can tolerate doxy and are careful about the sun, it's cheap and doubles as treatment for mild food poisoning and chlamydia (important to some travelers, I would imagine).

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Rockdoc - Yes I took the Malarone as soon as I woke up in the morning, but it still kept me awake at night.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with Malarone and have taken it on 4 different trips. The idea of only having to take 1 pill a week for Larium (I think that is correct) is appealing. I think it is fairly cheap compared to Malarone and am thinking of trying it at home or maybe in Costa Rica this spring to see if I have any side effects and use it on my next trip to Africa if it agrees with me. I did share camp with a hunter in 2009 that said if he takes Larium in the morning he does not have any problems but if he takes it in the evening he will wake up shit-scared in the middle of the night.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote