New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics in Carry On
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We were recently advised by a contact that TSA refused to allow rifle scoped to be in your carry-on bag. We have never had a problem, is this a new policy or a case of an anti with their 15minutes of fame?

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle scopes, gun part, are quite often not allowed in carry on bags. Just depends on how the TSA person you encounter feels that day or if the are an Anti or not. To be on the safe side, just pack you scopes in the guncase and don't take a chance. All other "optics" seem to be no problem. For now anyway!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
At Jo'Burg I had an official want to make a deal out of a detachable Zeiss scope I had in my carry-on, explaining I could use it as a club-like weapon. Meanwhile they were letting people carry on knobkierries. I had a carefully worded conversation with him about the matter and he allowed me to carry the scope on.

That said, I'm sure it depends on the 'official' you are dealing with and how he/she perceives your attitude.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I've seen clients at JNB forced to remove scopes from their carry-on and return to the firearms room to put the scopes in their gun cases. Fortunately there was time to do so. DO NOT take the chance!

There is no problem with a scope traveling on a rifle in a TuffPak and most other gun cases.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have done it both ways. I thought once at Tambo they were not going to let me thru and I was going to get locked up by the way the lady was acting-- I'd put it with my rifles--in my bags I know there will not be a problem that way.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Thanks for your advice, it sounds like it is prudent to to be very careful with everyone.

Sorry if I messed the communications up but I am not experienced dealing with these sites. I hadno intentions of offending anyone.

It seems some folks have no patience with anyone who is not an expert here

Thanks,

Glenn

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always carried spare scopes in my rifle case. If I lose the rifle, the scope is of no use.

More interesting is whether a "laser" rangefinder can be carried in carryon. I've done it in the past, but that was before the furor over "lasers." Anyone had any recent experience?

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year, coming out of Harare, Zim I had a screener call a supervisor over the detachable scope and mount for my Blaser S2. They were wanting to make me put it in the rifle case and not allow me to keep it in my carry on

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carried 2 scopes in a Pelican case as a carry-on from Anchorage to Windhoek. Nobody even asked about them.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
lavaca,

It wasnt in an african country, but I flew Delta in October with a rangefinder, spotting scope and binocs in my carry on and had no problems whatsoever. Of course TSA in Montana is probably a little different...

Posts: 11 | Location: MO | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always put spare scopes in the rifle case and have never had any issues when traveling by air.

NRA
SCI & DSC
9.3x62
375 H&H
300 H&H
450 Nitro 3.25

Posts: 77 | Location: I been everywhere!!! | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
...More interesting is whether a "laser" rangefinder can be carried in carryon. I've done it in the past, but that was before the furor over "lasers." Anyone had any recent experience?

I've alwasy carried my range finder in my carry on and never had a problem.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote