New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving through Zimbabwe?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are there dependable petrol stations operating in Zim yet? Would it be possible to go through Beitbridge to Bulawayo to Vic Falls driving on your own?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BBC,

I wouldn't do it. Petrol may not be the issue. You will stick out like a sour thumb and be a target for any official who would like you to donate to his children's education or any number of other worthy causes.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend it.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have "been driven" all over Zimbabwe.

I have been from Harare to Chowere South, back to Harare. From Harare to Kariba, from Kariba to Vic Falls, from Vic Falls to the SAVE, and back, [3 times], from Vic Falls back to Harare, Harare to the SAVE and back a couple of times...

HOWEVER, I was with the PH, and we carried all our own fuel, and we had guns, including handguns...

However in every town, bottle shop, ice cream shop, or the remotest village all the people were very nice. All the Police or Army personel, at the MANY roadblocks, were nice as well.

On my last trip I took my wife.

However I would not go to Zim, rent a car and do the drive on my own.

I hope I get to to all of those drives again... I like Zimbabwe..

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not without a "godfather." Not unless you are comfortable dealing with roadblocks without an experienced hand with a cool head.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the "road blocks" were not that big a deal, but you will NOT find Petrol [meaning diesel anywhere].

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As i live in Zim i think it would be fine. There is plenty of petrol and diesel around. Fill up in Musina and you will get to byo.

Just remember this is africa, and everyone is looking for a quick buck, but if you have all the right docs etc you will be fine. Be polite and dont let them 'bully' you.

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Baised on what I have seen I would not want to try and buy petrol on the road...

I would want to have enough Petrol, already procured at my point of landing to do my total trip, plus 50% extra... At least....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you speak Shona?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I don't know about driving in the other areas you mentioned but around Vic Falls is a breeze. I only drove from Kasane to Vic Falls and back over 3 days but it was no problem. I made sure I had enough diesel when I left Namibia so that I would not need any while around Vic Falls, but there was plenty of petrol and diesel at the stations in and around Vic Falls. Everyone was friendly and everyone spoke English. Some will hustle you but none were physical or too aggressive. Vic Falls police will step in around town if the hustlers get too bothersome and you can get one to accompany you if you are on foot.

My wife and I never encountered any road blocks, which in hindsight was odd because last month during my ride to and from the Vic Falls airport for my Caprivi hunt we went through 3. All were easy. One wanted a "Christmas" gift of CDs (which we didn't comply), one wanted to quickly glance at our documents (which had just been looked at the boarder crossing a few hundred yards before) and the other wanted to tell us to drive safely. No worries. Just be polite.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post

These are the NEW TOLL check points we encoutered on the Beithbridge to Vic Falls route.
Cost about ZAR 10 rand per toll gate for a bakkie or USD 1

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I doubt very much that you'd have a problem, even if you went on your own. As others have said, just be polite and have all your papers in order. Neither diesel or petrol will be a problem.

David

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I would love to drive and see the country, but I the extra time required is more of a constraint than safety. Thanks again.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
My grandmother used to have a saying about driving alone with women across unfamiliar economically unsound countries ruled by racist dictators.......if I could only remember how it went.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seven= if yur grandmother was like some I know show would have said. Are you outa your f00king mind. or something to that effect Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I would only do it with a PH. I have done it many times before, but only with a Zim PH.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The latest issue of 'Travel Africa' magazine from the UK has a column on driving through Zim.

They report no issues and very friendly officials, police etc....just as other travel mags have been reporting for the last few years.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Have done it in the past and would do it again.
This time with a couple fuel drums.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made a hunt in Zim every year from 2001 to 2006 then due to health issues skipped 2007 and 2008. I drove with a PH every time. I went again this past November and saw many changes there during that two year period. We drove from Bulawayo to Charisa, then from Charisa to Chete and finally from Chete back to Bulla. We encountered several road blocks on each leg but the police manning them were very polite and simply asked where we were going and where came from. They then passed us through. They never asked to see our rifles or documents. The Parks officials we checked in with at all four safari areas were helpful, polite and thanked me for coming to their area and hunting there. Customs officials at the airport were also very friendly. It looks like the powers to be want to make things as easy as possible for tourists and hunting clients so they will come back. I have heard that it can be a nightmare getting through customs and immigration at Beitbridge although I haven't done that myself. Other changes I noted was that the car dealerships have gone from empty showrooms to a lot of new cars and trucks. The boat dealerships also had their show rooms chuck full of expensive runabouts. Where the grocery stores in the past had mostly empty shelves, now they were full and you could buy just about anything you wanted. We even picked up several cases of Coke Zero in Bulawayo for our hunt.

Why the change? My PH said it was because this past January the Zim Gov't changed from the worthless Zim dollar to the US dollar as the official Zim currency. One side not to that is if your going there or to South Africa and taking US dollars along be sure to check that you only have the new US bills, the ones with the big heads. No one including the banks in either country will accept the old (small head) bills. My PH explained it was because no one has had time to counterfeit the new bills as yet. I would drive myself with out any qualms in Zim but would try to avoid Beitbridge.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Having ridden from Beitbridge to Nyakasanga with my SA PH last year I look at it as one of those things I'm glad I did, but wouldn't want to do it again. Didn't really have any big problems with the roadblocks, but at almost every one of them it was "Where are you going? Where are you coming from? What do you have for us?"

We were taking my trophies to Bromley for dip/pack, and at a couple of the stops they were really checking us over for the meat.

Never really had any problems, but it was rather unnerving.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does IdahoShitshooter go out of his way to be a prick?

Mate, knowing Shona would not be a benefit between Beit Bridge and Bulawayo.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
My family and I drove around (and from) Bulawayo to Vic falls in Oct 2008 when things were at there worst.

The country is starting to improve now with manufactureing industry and businesses opening up in Bulawayo, compared to back then.

We had no problems finding fuel in 2008 as long as we had US dollars and asked politely. One supplier usually knew where the next one was. You won't find Highway Service Centres that's for sure. I'm told by friends outside BYO that it is even easier now.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote