THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Traveling to Africa with a .500 caliber rifle

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling to Africa with a .500 caliber rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm planning an elephant hunt next year in either Zimbabwe or Botswana and plan to use a Krieghoff 500NE DR. Are there any specific requirements for travel into either country or for a layover enroute in SA - beyond the RSA PS permit - because of the .500 caliber? Are there any special provisions for return into the US with the 500? I have heard that there may be problems because of the nominally 50 caliber classification.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR!

The .500 rule was a super mega bugly stuff up and theoretically at least has now been resolved, however as things tend to change quickly, it's advisable to check the rules shortly before travel with both airlines and outfitter etc AND get the responses, esp from the airline, in writing and to take that reply with you when you travel.

These links might be of help:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...l-with-firearms.html

http://www.shakariconnection.c...ort-regulations.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please use the search function here in African Hunting as well as the Big Bore forum. I am certain there have been recent discussions of these issues and some notes on the resolution.

As I recall there are two issues: travel with a rifle .50 caliber and larger and then travel with .50 caliber ammo.

I think these issues have been resolved sensibly but I would want some verification before I left for the airport!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that some countries still have this unequivacal rule about .50 caliber. Africa seems to have worked thru it, but others aren't even trying. An example is this post of Jim Shockey's on his website a couple months back:

"Was not allowed into Sweden with my muzzleloader. Apparently the .50 caliber is considered a military firearm and so they "arrested" my Endeavor and let Matt and I into Sweden. So now I have to hunt with a high power rifle provided by the Swedish outfitter and frankly I am not impressed. There were many ways to deal with this issue if I would have been told of the problem months ago, but was not. So now my muzzleloader is in jail and we are headed to northern Sweden to hunt moose and reindeer. The Swedish authorities have promised to release my muzzleloader into my custody, when I leave Sweden."

Goes to show that when traveling to any country, know all the rules.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
And the world continues to be as screwy as ever. . . . . .

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If you are an American, you should have no trouble getting a Form 4457 and taking a .500 Nitro Express caliber rifle out of and back into the country for purposes of a hunting trip.

To my knowledge, there are no restrictions on the import of such a rifle that would be applicable in Botswana or Zimbabwe, either, but you should check with your outfitter to be certain.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm familiar with the 4457 requirement for re-importation but was concerned because of the caliber. Seems the problem has been resolved but I will check with my outfitter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are not "re-importing" the rifle; you are simply bring back your own property, which is what the 4457 establishes.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
If you are an American, you should have no trouble getting a Form 4457 and taking a .500 Nitro Express caliber rifle out of and back into the country for purposes of a hunting trip.

I did so in November with zero issues. In fact, when I came back, at Dulles, they did not even check the rifles or ask for the 4457.

Mike

Posts: 21234 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Virginia Creeper
posted Hide Post
The maximum bore size permitted for personal sporting purposes has been changed from 0.50 inch to 0.75 inch.
I have also cleared returning DAR to AMS to IAD (Dulles) without having to show form 4457 or the guns at US Customs.
But the form 4457 is very important in clearing Tanzania to get back to the USA.
It seems that overseas authorities see the form 4457 as "title" for the gun.
Sincerely,

E Pluribus Unum - where out of many, we will become one.

Posts: 149 | Location: VA | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Virginia Creeper:
The maximum bore size permitted for personal sporting purposes has been changed from 0.50 inch to 0.75 inch.

Sadly not for import/export purposes.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Blank it is not 50 cal it is .490 dia. ball dancing

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote