THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Where to hunters stay in Lusaka?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to hunters stay in Lusaka?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to Zambia this year and was wondering if there was a place like Afton House in Lusaka?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
You stay in one of two hotels. I've stayed in both. The Holiday Inn is the lesser quality of the two. The InterContinental is the place to stay in Lusaka. Many hunters and Phs there, good food, nice accommodations and you might even meet the President.

EDIT: The Holiday Inn has apparently changed names?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
We stayed at the Taj Pamodzi: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hote...eyOAOsb7GurcM.XiphQB

Very nice, but I felt overpriced.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Taj is great, super staff, nice facility, nice bar and restaurant

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
You said, "like the Afton house," so I am thinking that you don't want to blow hundreds on an over-priced hotel. All the nice hotels are way overpriced in Lusaka IMHO.

There is a place in central Lusaka called Nena's Guesthouse. It seems fine if you want to stay cheaply. But I have never had a room there so I can't say too much about it. Their restaurant is nice though.

I really like Pioneer Camp. Their chalets look nice on the internet and are fine for an over night stay, but are too cramped to spent more than a night in.

The real way to go is to rent the cottage. It is a beautiful old farm house. My wife and I stayed there for several nights and really enjoyed ourselves. It is $120 a night.

Pioneer Camp is between town and the airport so that might pose a problem. They do offer airport transfers. http://www.pioneercampzambia.com/

BTW, the less time you spend in Lusaka the better. I love Zambia as a whole, but I hate Lusaka. I have spent about 40 nights there over the past several years and I hope I don't have to spent too many more there.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and here is another related question. Can I take a revolver along with two long guns on British Airways from Los Angeles to London to Lusaka (straight thru, no overnight in London)? Will BA be ok with the revolver?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Check with BA but I don't think it's an issue. I took a S&W 500 into Zambia in 2004 and took some record animals with it. I didn't fly BA however. But be sure you check or have your PH confirm that hunting handguns are still allowed entry.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had dinner with a friend who stayed at another hotel not mentioned in any of the above post. I am not sure of the name, however it was something like the "BUSINESS EXECUTIVE INN" He said it was very nice and about 99.00 per night. In 2007 we stayed at the same hotel as SBT. It was nice but the smell of curry was rather strong.

H KITTLE

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stayed at the taj.
nice enough. don't remember about price.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taj,
Real nice, they put your guns in a Vault. But..... don't eat too much of that Indian food, I regreted it for the next 26 hour home.
Yikes!!!

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, due to a mixup, we stayed at the Holiday Inn. Same price as the Taj but it sucks. No hot water or power for the first day, not because of the rolling blackouts but due to the hotel. Also, no place to lock up guns so had to keep them in the room. Not recommended. Avoid.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chipolopolo:
Taj,
Real nice, they put your guns in a Vault. But..... don't eat too much of that Indian food, I regreted it for the next 26 hour home.
Yikes!!!

Oh dear, the old "ring of fire".

Been there, done that..... Ouch!!!

I agree, the Taj is pretty good. beer

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at the Taj Pamodzi and at a guest house. I won't recommend or name the guest house since I can't remember the name. It was very good however, owned and run by a South African couple. If I can find the name in my records I will post.

The Holiday Inn has a bar (pub) where anybody of Irish decent in the region will be found.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Taj is great. couldn't recommend more highly.

Sprig

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote