New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tiger prawns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know a good restaurant in Johannesburg that serves the giant tiger prawns from Mozambique?

Thanks.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite place to eat in J'berg is the Ocean Basket.
Their shrimp is delicious.

There is also a good resturant in Harare owned by Brooklands Safaris, the food there is great as well, I just cannot remember the name.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the ocean basket

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is it close to the airport?

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
larry
I do not exactly know where it is as I was staying at the Afton House and they drove me there.

I have eaten there 5 times.

If I had Warren Buffets money I wouold fly my own jet over there once a month to eat.

[It would be a short flight as I would be comming in from Zim as I would be hunting elephants 365 days a year.]

OK in truth I could save the Jet fuel as the resturant is Harare is everybit as good...

But the Ocean Basket is first rate.

I always stay in Jo'Berg for 2 days so I can eat there twice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
+++ on The Ocean Basket. We ate there on our way to Botswana in July and it was excellent. Just ask Afton House to take you there as mentioned. It is a chain of resturants and we happened to meet the owners wife while waiting for our return ride. She commented that she could tell when Americans arrived...they ordered the biggest dish ooffered and ate the whole thing :-} Guilty as charged!

See their Web site for more information
Ocean Basket Home

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I am going on a last second unplanned elephant hunt in Zimbabwe. I have to over night in Johannesburg. That got me to thinking about tiger prawns.

I will try the Ocean Basket and do my best to keep the American tradition alive. LOL!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I recommend you stay at the Afron House.

They will pick you up at the airport, and take you back there the next morning. They are a great help with the airlines personel getting you back on the plane.

Thye also will take you to the Ocean Basket, found trip of course.