Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes and Money
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Two questions for the frequent African hunters.

First, I was wondering if others could elaborate on where to stow your cash while traveling to your destination. Do you guys split it up and put some in your shoes, some in your wallet, money belt, front pocket, etc? Someone I was talking to said to do this and to keep some "tipping money" for the airport staff in an easy-to-reach pocket, away from your wallet.

Secondly, if your scope is in QR rings, can you put it in your carry on instead of your gun case? If you have to leave it in the gun case, do you leave it attached or do you have it off the rifle?

Thanks for the input and happy holidays.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tape it to my leg!! as long a Steve stops gnawing on it I'm fine. it does not even hurt when you pull th tape off since it is acrylic and carbon fiber rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sevens - No scopes in your carry on. This can and has been seen by some in security here and abroad as a part of a weapon. I leave mine on the rifle, in a good soft gun case tucked away in my Tuff Pak. Never had a problem with the scope going whacky with this combination.

Cash I carry mostly in a neck wallet, some in pocket wallet and some locked in my carry on bag in the overhead. Hope this helps.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens,

First off pay your trophy fees ahead to avoid the necessity of bring thousands with you. You should only need tip and pocket money. I carry my cash in my wallet and if I'm in an area that doesn't seem so safe I put my wallet in my front pocket. The chances of you getting mugged on safari are pretty minimal.

Leave your scope attached to your rifle in your gun case. You can't take it as a carry on.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put my cash and travel's checks in my zipper pocket of my "travel" shirt. Several on the market out there. Had a small amount of cash in my pocket for tips, vending machines etc.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I always just put my cash and my travelor's checks in my safari shirt pocket or, if I'm not wearing a shirt with those big pockets, I put them in my front pants pockets. I keep money for incidentals and tips in an alternate pocket so that I don't have to flash the big wad to buy a hot dog along the way.

Lots of folks have warned me about it over the years, but I always carry a couple of spare scopes along with my binocs and other optical devices in my carry on. I've never had anyone so much as question the practice.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry my money in my carry-on, save, for a few dollars for incidentals. Have always been able to put my carry-on in the bin over my seat and have never had a problem yet.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since when can't you put a scope in your carry-on? I have always done so, and as recently as May 2010.

Money in my pants pocket or in a "Passport Pouch" around my neck.

So far, so good. I'll keep on as long as it works.

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:
Since when can't you put a scope in your carry-on? I have always done so, and as recently as May 2010.

Gun "parts" are not permitted in carryon baggage and if you happen to get the wrong TSA person who believes it is a gun part, and you can argue that it is, you will be repacking.

As far as scopes go, my rifle scopes are mostly in QD rings and when that's the case, I remove them and pack them separately in the gun case. I believe packing them separately, makes it less likely that they will be damaged if the case is handled roughly.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'scopes are considered to be part of a firearm. if you got away with carrying your 'scope in your handbaggage or suitcase before, then you were just plain lucky - at some point you will get stopped if you have it in your carry on and then you are just going to get grief.
Keep the 'scope with your rifle in the rifle case - do not even put it into your suitcase which goes into the hold.

COUNTRYSPORTS.
Established 1984. Web sites: www.countrysports.co.uk & www.fishinginuk.co.uk SCOTLAND, ENGLAND, POLAND, SOUTH AFRICA

Posts: 95 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've carried multiple scopes to africa in my carry on through every port of entry, and multiple airlines, and have yet to have an issue.

One could easily argue it's a spotting scope for birds...it's not listed anywhere on TSA rules about scopes.

Just my opinion...

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carried scopes in my carry on twice this year to two diff countries.. not an issue anywhere, this side or abroad. In fact, I've never personally met anyone who has had an issue with this. Just rumors.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
The first time I ever traveled with a rifle scope in a carry-on bag was also my last time. The TSA agent in Bozeman, Montana, insisted it was part of a firearm. As my flight was just a few minutes from take-off, and it was the last flight of the day, the agent commented that I would have to miss my flight or turn the scope over to TSA. By the way, the Leupold scope was new, in the box, and still shrink-wrapped! Fortunately for me, my wife was standing on the other side of the security rope, so I handed the scope to her, smiled at the agent, and boarded my flight. I'm sure I ruined his day, but better him than me.

If you fly with a scope in your carry-on, sooner or later you'll run into a TSA agent like this.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first time I ever traveled with a rifle scope in a carry-on bag was also my last time. The TSA agent in Bozeman, Montana, insisted it was part of a firearm. As my flight was just a few minutes from take-off, and it was the last flight of the day, the agent commented that I would have to miss my flight or turn the scope over to TSA. By the way, the Leupold scope was new, in the box, and still shrink-wrapped! Fortunately for me, my wife was standing on the other side of the security rope, so I handed the scope to her, smiled at the agent, and boarded my flight. I'm sure I ruined his day, but better him than me.

If you fly with a scope in your carry-on, sooner or later you'll run into a TSA agent like this.

Kaiser,

That's exactly the point. Just because some have carried scopes in their carry-on bag does not mean we all can do it. I try to avoid "It probably will be all right" at all costs. When I'm planning a safari there's just too much money and effort invloved to take any avoidable chances.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
This has been a helpful thread for me. I am booked for Zim in May, 2011, and have my first QD scope. I WAS going to carry it in the carry-on. Not now. Thanks all.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am more interested in the cash thing. I like to pay for my hunts in cash. What about carrying $20-30K in $100 bills in your pocket??? Mark?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36637 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a lot of cash going to an offshore assignment to resupply the Project Manager. I have this old Patagonia travel jacket. Don't know if they still sell it. It's an all poly two button in sort of a blah greenish brown. Very ordinary looking and has two huge inside zipper pockets. I've stuffed as much as forty grand into it with no problems. That and jeans and a T shirt make you a very low profile sort of guy. Used to fly into Nairobi and Luanda with it all the time and never felt insecure.

Another thing you might do is get some thousand Euro notes. (I'm just guessing onthis, though. With all the government paranoia here in the States, you might not be able to get any). Then change them into dollars in Dar or Arusha or Jo-berg or wherever, or just pay your trophy fees in Euros. A 20 grand elephant is twenty bills instead of 200. Takes up a lot less space.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote