THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Interesting SA Flight from DC to Johannesburg

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting SA Flight from DC to Johannesburg
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
Just got back and now I know why me and my clients got such a good deal on our flights.

First of all I have Flown SAA before but only from Zimbabwe to Johannesburg. I figured that it was a small jet and seats were very tight. I quickly discovered that their bigger jets have seats that are tight. I know I am larger than average man. I am 6 foot 205 pounds with a 36 waist. I had zero wiggle room with a bulk head seat. Much different from the Delta flights that I had taken in the past. This is was a mere discomfort but not why I am writing this post.

When I purchased our tickets we were scheduled to land in Dakar, Senegal. Plane re fuels and we take off an hour later. No one gets on or off the plane according to the person I talked to at SAA when I booked the tickets.

Once we get our boarding passes we learn that we are to land in Ghana. A little concern due to this being in the ground zero area of the 2014 Ebola Outbreak. No outbreaks lately so no concern. I was curious about the fishing. World record tarpon fishing and big blue marlin. Not much concern because we are not getting off of the plane.

We land and people start unbuckling and start to get up. Half of the plane is getting off. Our Film guy yells from the back of the plane and we stop a guy that was almost to bulkhead where I was sitting. He had our camera guys drone in his hand. We stopped him and he said that he picked it up by mistake. I told my camera guy that I did not want to get involved with police report in Ghana. At this time our entire group start to kept sharp eye on all of our gear.

Security starts to come through plane. They go through everything. All carry on bags and electrical devices. Then cleaning crew comes onboard while security is checking everyone. I bet there were over 45 people on that plane from the cleaning crew and security. Plane boards takes off and we land safely in Johannesburg.

We go on our hunt and have a great time. We go to three different countries. My clients harvest lost of planes game, two buffalo and great wing shooting. We got some great footage of my buffalo stalks on film. We had a small boss bull run up and stop 15 yards away as well as several close encounters when herd is running past us at 30 yards. I will post footage when film is finished being edited.

Leave Johannesburg on Monday. Make sure that you do not volunteer information about alkaline batteries. We were held up at check in for over an hour while they looked through regulations book.

Again we land in Ghana. This was Monday at 9:00 pm. Eighty percent of the people on board get off of the plane. Everyone is paying attention to their gear! Same deal lots of people off the plane and security and cleaning crew board. Crew stays on board for over an hour. I am thinking that there will be a middle row where I can lay down and sleep. Then we get the announcement. Please stay seated while plane is being boarded.

I looked out my window and saw three busses pull up to the tarmac. There are people running out of the buss to the plane. All of us are thinking that they must be refugees.

You should have seen the people boarding our plane. At least 15 women with small children and babies tied to their backs with blankets. There were few people that were missing limbs. I could not believe that these people could afford plane tickets. As we are taking off, I am literally looking down the isle expecting to see goats and chickens. I told one of my guys that he was getting the full Africa experience.

Land safely and no problems with customs other than small issue with one clients 4457. Took him an hour longer than the rest to get through.

After doing some research on SAA I learned that they only have 41 jets and the RSA government has had to bail them out twice. On a positive note, I stopped in First Class and check out the seats. I think that it is better than Delta's First Class. About the size of a regular lazy boy and it folds out flat.
You can get one first class ticket to RSA from Dulles for around the same price you can purchase two tickets from Atlanta to RSA on Delta. Something to consider if you are a big person and have to book two seats.

Overall, another great hunting trip to Africa.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I'll stick with Delta, thanks. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That other part is about normal in those areas. Heck I was on Aeroflot once back i the day and there was animals in the cabin. They seated us in the good part of the plane which was in the back lol.

On our recent trip to Africa we flew BA to JoBurg and then had SAA to Vic Falls and back and SAA again to Windhoek and back to JoBurg. All around the SAA business class was so good that I will seriously think of using SAA from the USA on a return trip. Their planes, the seats, food, service, and baggage and all the SAA people were just top notch. Our baggage with the rifle case and ammo case beat us to the luggage turnstile for pick up.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whenever possible, take a DIRECT flight to your destination!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67028 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I just threw that out as I had heard all the bad stories about SAA - but none of that materialized.

You know like Ebola, tipping, . . . all of that. Wink

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Whenever possible, take a DIRECT flight to your destination!

Truer words were never spoken! I have helped a friend book many hunts to RSA. I have told all of the bookings to always fly direct!

Most of them (clients) do this. However, there are always a few who want to save $150 (if you can call it savings) and decide to have layovers.

There is always a far better chance of having problems, by doing this. Why risk it??

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote