THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Form 4457 and Namibia Police Permit...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Form 4457 and Namibia Police Permit...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm travelling to Namibia next week with my 19 yr old son. I took our rifles to our Local CUSTOMS office to get my FORM 4457.

I'm now filling out the paperwork for the Namibia Police Gun Permit application to get that ready. Can I register our (2) 30-06 rifles in my name or must my son fill out his own Namibia Police paperwork and also go and get his own CUSTOMS Form 4457 for his rifle in his own name?

How does this work out?

I thought I read here some time ago that although you can bring 2 or 3 rifles into Namibia they must NOT be of the same caliber???

Should I just have my 19 yr old do all his own paperwork to make sure everything goes smooth in Namibia for us?

What do you think?

I would like to avoid any confusion we might have over there... Big Grin

I leave in a week...Thanks!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Namibian officials won't likely care if both rifles are on the same 4457, but you should fill out two Namibian firearms forms (one for you and one for your son) since a person is technically not supposed to import more than one rifle of the same caliber.

Even if you carry both rifles in the same case, so long as both of you are there to claim your guns and both of you have a Namibian gun form, there should be no problem.

The Namibian officials are very reasonable and respect and appreciate hunters. I doubt any problem arising, but I'm sure that if you are straight-forward with them (and these circumstances are certainly straight-forward with two hunters -- father and son -- and two rifles) they will amend or correct any paper work to facilitate you. I doubt any issues arising.

We had a somewhat similar situation and here is how we handled it: I, my son, and friend Bill went to Namibia together. Each of us took a rifle, with my .338 and my son's .30-06 in my case. Bill carried his .300 Win, plus a second .30-06 which actually belonged to me for a spare rifle to serve all of us. He took my spare '06 to customs and put it on his 4457, then listed it on his Namibian form. That way, only he and I carried and listed all of the firearms (even though my son is an adult). My son carried only one checked bag over, which allowed us to have him carry a second checked bag on return for souvenirs, etc.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks buddy...

As usual I appreciate your advise...

BTW my boy loves that SAKO as your son...

180 grain Partition is SWEET...I'll post pics and report when we get back! wave

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote