THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Luggage Theft in Johannesburg-- in and out
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luggage Theft in Johannesburg-- in and out
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just a heads-up for anyone traveling through Jo'burg. I just went through there in early July, and had a camera and cologne stolen from my checked baggage (locks cut off). My traveling companions lost two cameras themselves.

On the way back from Namibia, my buddies had their flashlights stolen. That could have happened in either Windhoek or Jo'burg, though.

In any case, don't put anything of value in your checked luggage. Carry it on, or put it in your gun case. After stealing my cologne from my toiletry kit, I think my toothbrush henceforth rides in the cabin as well...

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately when conducting a long safari it is impossible to carry-on everything of value. It is worthwhile to carry back-up locks in the event one or two are cut off.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what good extra locks will do if a thief cuts them off....

And I have no idea why a tooth brush would not have already been in the carry-on.

****Your rifle case should hold any valuable object that is not allowed in your carry on.

****Your carry on should hold everything else of value.

****If you have so many valuable items that they can't all fit in the rifle case or your carry-on, you can afford to lose them.

Keep in mind the guys moving your bags around probable make about $50 a month. To them we are all multi-millionaires.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I prefer to carry my two small flashlights in my checked baggage. I use them regularly in Africa but had not thought they would come in handy enough to use in the cabin of the aircraft. My camera, meds, etc. always go in my carry on bag.

I do pack an extra rifle scope in my checked bag rather than my carry on out of concern that some airline twit would declare it to be firearms part and confiscate it. As to the cologne, I doubt I would use it on safari anyway unless it smelled good to the buffalo.

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

Posts: 105 | Location: Looking for the Southern Cross | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Whilst JNB is notoriously bad for baggage theft, don't for a moment think these things only happen in Africa. I doubt there's a commercial airport in the world where baggage theft doesn't happen to a greater or lesser degree.

one of us
posted Hide Post
London being a horrible example believe it or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense intended sir but placing a camera in checked bags is begging for trouble.

I have not had anything stolen from my bags on any trip to Africa. However, I have had things stolen several times on other trips. I had a bag of choke tubes for shotguns stolen while returning from Argentina. I had a knife I bought for my son stolen while returning from Austria. The one that puzzles me the most is stealing toiletries flying back from Salt Lake City.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of nikes, a knife and a bag of cherry life savers stolen from my bag last time I went through JNB. Didn't find out until I was in the bush. After 17 days with nothing but my boots on my feet I sure was glad to get home and put something else on. Missed the life savers most, I put one in on stalk and they prevent dry cough. Trackers missed them too.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think my toothbrush henceforth rides in the cabin as well...

Come to think of it, the bathroom tile did look exceptionally clean to me when I was there this year.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In joburg watch the so called porters some are not porters even that they have yellow shirts.
Outffitters wife lost her pocket book to them very sneaky.they learned the hard way TOO.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
nothing goes in my checked bag that costs over $50- $75-PERIOD!. i can't begin to imagine putting a scope or camera in there. in this day and age, you might as well tape them to the outside with a "help yourself " sign.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13421 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
On my recent trip they took my buddies hunting boots and carhartt pants and left the stuff of value. Weird. Cut the TSA locks off both of our ammo boxes. Glad I had extras in the gun case for the trip home.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean to tell me that you dont plastic wrap your baggage.
What rock did you crawl out from under Big Grin
Seriously though, having traveled a lot with all sorts of camera gear as a Pro photographer I never had a single piece of equipment stolen.
Plastic wrap is the only way. If your airport does not do it but an industrial role of cling film, some yellow packing tape and wrap away. If your bag has wheels make sure you cut slots for the wheels and handles.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If you are at all attached to it, carry it on. Learned that one the hard way too. Most of us have.

If you really like it, and you can't carry it on, lock it in your gun case. That is the most secure way to check any piece of baggage.

Here is a tip, when I travel in the USA, I pack everything in a tuffpak. I throw a pistol in there so now it is a gun case! They are subject to different rules than a duffel or suitcase. There is no law against packing all your luggage in a guncase.

Tuffpak locks with an internal lock, one that can not be cut off, and TSA CAN NOT require that they have access to it, like a suitcase. Because it is now a case with a firearm in it.

By TSA law, only one person can hold the key to that luggage (gun case), and that is me. No TSA locks allowed on guncases!

Even if you don't take any bullets in any of your luggage, it allows you to use a guncase as a suitcase that is not subject to TSA rifling. It is now a piece of luggage that by law can not be accessed by TSA.

Now, you can't do this with a normal suitcase. Has to be some sort of actual guncase.

Pelican makes a great rolling carry on size type of case. (Don't carry it on obviously) It can be used as a guncase for pistols. Put a pistol in it, a huge Masterlock on it and check it on as a guncase.

Now, some may argue that there is too much hassle with trying to do this. "Travel with guns in the USA is too difficult."

Then don't do it. I would only do it if there was something of great value that I could not carry on.

It is not for every situation, and not practical all th etime, but it is a good way to protect checked baggage.

Plus, I like having a gun with me at all times.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone has advised me to pack my ammo in a locked case in my checked bag. Anyone ever lose their ammo that way? How do you avoid that from happening?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
Everyone has advised me to pack my ammo in a locked case in my checked bag. Anyone ever lose their ammo that way? How do you avoid that from happening?

Yes. They stole the ammo box out of my luggage in Joberg. Put a note in there saying that since I wasn't hunting in South Africa, they were confiscating it.

I was in transit, in full compliance with the law.

I hate those guys.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What did you do? What can you do to make sure your ammo arrives?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
What did you do? What can you do to make sure your ammo arrives?

Hope

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I agree with everything that Wendell has said. In addition, I graduated a couple of years ago from soft-sided zippered checked luggage to Samsonite hard side, non-zippered checked luggage with internal TSA locks. Since that time, I have had no problems. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I agree with everything that Wendell has said. In addition, I graduated a couple of years ago from soft-sided zippered checked luggage to Samsonite hard side, non-zippered checked luggage with internal TSA locks. Since that time, I have had no problems. Big Grin

Tried that too....they simply broke the locks on the case destroying the luggage and leaving my bag open….thankfully I had one of the luggage straps to keep it together. I think you are better to use soft luggage and let them take what they want….at least that way they only cut the lock and the bag can be used again!!!
It sucks…don’t put anything in there that you don’t want to get stolen. Put the knives and stuff in your gun case.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Although most of my valuable kit is carried in my hand luggage, items like knife, Scope and Ammunition are locked in MTM cases within a locked stainless locked net (for over backpacks) which is then within my locked heavy canvas bag. This may not be full proof but it sure makes it hard to deal with.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, if your locks are too togh the zipper just gets stripped with a pen or screwdriver. Then you can't close the luggage at all. Sometimes you may be better off with plastic cable ties! At least you bag closes after!

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee, I'm hardly a neophyte traveler, but I've never had anything stolen before, in Africa, South America, Europe, or Asia. Fortunately, nothing stolen really affected my trip. But the point of my post: it appears that _every_ bag going through Johannesburg is getting picked through. That's different from "it might happen to you". It happened to everyone in my party-- in both directions. Some had nothing to steal, but all 12 or so bags were rifled through.

Someone had even cut the tape off my (semi-transparent) ammo boxes, leaving the rounds to spill out amongst my clothing. I have no idea if that was an "official" or not, but it defeats the purpose of keeping them in a sealed, protected container.

Plastic wrap, while nice in principle, will be cut off if the authorities want to check anything. Same with TSA locks and cable ties. (I use cable ties, for the reasons espoused by others-- they're just going to cut off the locks or destroy your hard sided luggage anyway.) The plastic wrap etc. will presumably slow down the other thieves though.

The only downside to the Tuffpak is its weight. With two guns and soft cases, there's essentially no capacity left for cameras, flashlights, and so on.

Anyway, I think folks ought to know that their belongings _will_ be rifled through, and anything of value _will_ be stolen. At least last month in Johannesburg...

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pertinax:
The only downside to the Tuffpak is its weight. With two guns and soft cases, there's essentially no capacity left for cameras, flashlights, and so on.
Pertinax

WTF!!! Confused

TuffPak multiple long guns w/soft cases = 18 lbs
Americase 2 gun Safari case = 27 lbs
Pelican 1750 1 gun = 25.6 lbs
Browning = doesn't even post the case weight (see Pelican)
SKB = Doesn't post weight (see Pelican)
Need I go on?

My TuffPak is 15 years old and will be doing its' 16th safari next month. It has also travelled to other international destinations. I pack the Tuff Sack full with two scoped rifles in soft cases, hunting boots, gunbelts, flashlights, knives, parka and other clothing and gear. Nothing other than cosmetic damage to the case and no damage to the contents, ever. It has a lock that cannot be cut off nor opened without my knowledge, by TSA or anyone else. It has withstood the luggage gorillas of the airports and airline, the TSA clueless - I actually watched as they dropped my case with contents from a table-top onto a concrete floor (twice) - foreign security officers and customs agents around the world, without issue. It's bounced around the back of Land Cruisers, Rovers and all type of off road vehicles on what can hardly be called roads, again without issue. Get the idea?

Try that with any other gun case.

BTW, I have no fiduciary interest in TuffPak. I'm just a longtime satisfied customer.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess my son and I have just been lucky. Two trips to Africa, and no issues, nor anything stolen. When we transfered to SAA, from Delta, for the flight to Bulawayo, the checkin girl for SAA said no cameras or laptops in checked baggage. No laptops, but my son and I carried our cameras in our carry on.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
My TuffPak has always made the weight limits and never has anything inside been damaged or disappeared. I believe it's been on about 35 hunts via airlines (maybe 15 of them to Africa?) To my knowledge, it has never been opened after being checked by TSA on departure from the U.S. until I get to customs in the country of destination (or if I have to make an r.o.n. in JNB). Nor, has it been opened if it was checked baggage through JNB to Dar es Salaam or Zimbabwe (without an r.o.n.).

I always weigh it before I leave and find that I can easily keep it below the airline limits, even if I carry two guns.

The TuffPak website lists the weight of their product at 17 lbs. Checking Delta's baggage limit, I found a per bag limit of 50 lbs. Gun and soft case at 11 lbs each.... that leaves 11 pounds for miscellaneous stuff. Works for me.

I have never had the slightest issue with an airline agent, a TSA screener, SAPS or domestic or foreign customs.

They are not inexpensive, but they darn sure work.

Dad-gum daughter wants one, though.

As to the second bag, I used to use a duffel bag type. I realized, locked or not, anything with a zipper is vulnerable, so I bought a hard case with no zipper. With (external) TSA locks, it is still somewhat vulnerable, but at least no one with a ball point pen will get into it, at least without some extra effort.

quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
quote:
Originally posted by pertinax:
Pertinax

WTF!!! Confused

TuffPak multiple long guns w/soft cases = 18 lbs
Americase 2 gun Safari case = 27 lbs
Pelican 1750 1 gun = 25.6 lbs
Browning = doesn't even post the case weight (see Pelican)
SKB = Doesn't post weight (see Pelican)
Need I go on?

My TuffPak is 15 years old and will be doing its' 16th safari next month. It has also travelled to other international destinations. I pack the Tuff Sack full with two scoped rifles in soft cases, hunting boots, gunbelts, flashlights, knives, parka and other clothing and gear. Nothing other than cosmetic damage to the case and no damage to the contents, ever. It has a lock that cannot be cut off nor opened without my knowledge, by TSA or anyone else. It has withstood the luggage gorillas of the airports and airline, the TSA clueless - I actually watched as they dropped my case with contents from a table-top onto a concrete floor (twice) - foreign security officers and customs agents around the world, without issue. It's bounced around the back of Land Cruisers, Rovers and all type of off road vehicles on what can hardly be called roads, again without issue. Get the idea?

Try that with any other gun case.

BTW, I have no fiduciary interest in TuffPak. I'm just a longtime satisfied customer.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARWL:
By the way, if your locks are too togh the zipper just gets stripped with a pen or screwdriver. Then you can't close the luggage at all. Sometimes you may be better off with plastic cable ties! At least you bag closes after!

I had one of my bags zipper opened presumably with the "pen trick" but nothing was taken. You just run the zipper through again and it closes all right again.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
I love my Tuffpak and use it for all international travel with guns, but I've never made weight with it. This summer we had a charter from Lusaka to camp and were on very strict luggage limits. My Tuffpak with three rifles in soft cases and a camera tripod (nothing else in it) went 65 pounds. I even weighed my softcases and used the lightest ones! (In case you're interested, a Boyt soft case weighs about 2 1/2 pounds, the cheaper ones weigh about 1 1/2 pounds.

United charged me for the overweight bag on the outbound part of the trip, but that is unusual in my experience. I took it to Canada (on United) earlier this year and it was also over 50 pounds but I was not charged. And SAA did not charge me on the trip home for it.

I left it with the outfitter in Lusaka when we transferred to the charter and just put the rifles on the charter in their softcases.

I love the Tuffpak, but it ain't light once you put your guns in it.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of a hard-side case that I now use instead of a zippered one for clothes, etc. Of course, someone could cut off the locks (pretty pink, what else?) but at least, a ballpoint pin wouldn't get in the thing.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Judge: Care to tell us the details on your hard side luggage? (Make, price, weight, purchased where, etc. etc. etc.) I like it!

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to discover what company made my case, but here is something similar, albeit larger.

Graphics Tube

Another

And I found mine!... albeit, a little larger.

Nothing is as strong as a TuffPak in my opinion and I'll always use it for my rifle(s), but this tubes are lighweight, very much more secure than a zipper-equipped suitcase and pretty darn sturdy.

If you look on ebay at "graphic cases" there will be several dozen to chose from in all types of sizes and prices.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey everybody!

I just concluded a whirlwind travel itinerary that included Kuwait, Bahrain, D'jbouti, Ethiopia, UAE, Afghanistan, Chile, Argentina and of course the good old USA!

I took along a new pack design of mine that allowed mte to NOT CHECK any of my personal items - was out on and off for over 14 weeks - never lost a thing to theft as everything of importance was with me at all times!

Here's what I carried-on:

2 pairs long pants
2 pairs shorts
4 shirts
extra shoes.
4 pairs socks and undies!
Dopp kit with meds, and hygene essentials
Video & still cameras (chargers & Batts)
iPhone & charger
Travel documents (triplicate copies)
Binos
GPS
and a few other odds and ends

My guns, Body Armor, Helmet all got checked!

My point is that I carry on all of my essentials and wear clothing items that are travel friendly!

NEVER LOSE A THING (25 years of doing this)

Given the airline situation these days - it really is bad judgement to check anything that can otherwise be carried on!

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Reading all these horror stories about luggage tampering at the Jo'berg airport the following thought occurred to me: The tampering is obviously an inside job (airport workers or airline workers). What if some devout African Muslim named Barack or Osama decides to tamper with your luggage, and instead of stealing your valuables, decided to place a couple of pounds of C-4 and a timer in your bag?? A chance to blow up a planeload of infidels using their own luggage as the way to conceal the explosives. Just a thought.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I thought like that I wouldn't go anywhere.

7 trips to Africa, nothing stolen yet. I keep anything valuable in by backpack carry on or in the guncase.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I am one of the fortunate ones. I haven't had anything come up missing in 5 forays through Joberg. I haven't yet had a chance to try the Tuffpak that I just bought but will definitely be taking it next year when I go. Hadn't thought about hard sided luggage, I use either the softsided Cabelas luggage or the Boyt soft sided. I just make it a habit to not put expensive things in the checked baggage. Scopes go in the rifle case attached to the rifle, cameras go in my carry on. I would be kinda pissy if they stole my boots though. Guess they will go in the Tuffpak

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8 trips through Joe burg no thefts yet yet

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Just transited joberg twice with no problems, but anything of value was in carry on. We also plastic wrapped luggage, just to make it a little harder and keep the "honest thieves" out animal

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone thought about using the Tuffpak Takedown cases for there checked bag instead of a soft sided luggage?

Haven't seen one other than on their website, gut it looks like an option.

Hook em Horns

Posts: 335 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had some items (safari hat, gift items..) stolen out of an unlocked check bag in Windhoek/or Joburg back in 1994...so it is not just a recent problem. Funny thing they left the .375 and .458 ammo alone.

Posts: 1923 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I always take put everything of value in my carry-on with one change of clothes and shoes. I take a big DSLR, small point and shoot, binos, flashlighs, chargers, batteries, cash, etc. I use the Red Ox carry-on bag. Holds quite a bit with lots of pockets.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote