THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Overnight in Jo'burg--questions

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overnight in Jo'burg--questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
After a three-year absence I'm off to Zim for elephant in July. Some questions I have that may have changed over the years.

Accommodations to stay. I've stayed at Afton in the past. The rooms are OK and price is reasonable but the steak dinner was trash--tough meat, soggy salad and cold garlic bread. I don't know much about Africa Sky but at $295pp it seems over priced. Any info on the hotel at the airport? This seems simple and quick with no shuttle. All I need is a bed.

Second is the pre approved permit. I have had this done in years past but while the permit may be filled out I still had to wait 1-2 hours for the official to get to me so it seemed a waste of money. It used to be 50$ and now has escalated to $120. I would pay it if I could get in and out quickly but that has never been the case.

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

I depart Anchorage AK on July 7 and fly from Atlanta on the 8th on Delta, up to Zim on the 10th and hunt the 11-20th. Then, a week to vacation in Zim and visit old friends. Traveling with my trusty .600 (of course).
Cheers and thanks all.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the City Lodge. A quick walk from International Arrivals and you are there. I am showered and into my first scotch before most arrive at off site lodging.

Lots of threads on it here. But I stay there 6 to 10 times a year. The rooms are clean and inexpensive, food is good and the convenience cannot be beat.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Opus said. I always recommend City Lodge at O.R. Tembo. Why would your leave the airport if you don't have to?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always use City Lodge (connected to the airport) and whatever meet and greet service that Steve Turner recommends. Worthy every penny.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
City Lodge tu2 (As said, in connection with a meet and greet to take care of you coming and leaving) Big Grin Can't be beat. tu2

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks, men.
City Lodge will be the place to stay.
I still seek recommendation on the pre approved gun permit. My experience is a waste of time and money as I had to wait in a long line anyway.
Do any of you know if the permit is done in advance it I can get out quickly?
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Usually you're one of the first to get out, as long as you get in to SAPS with the meet and greet fairly quickly. That's been my experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
... I don't know much about Africa Sky but at $295pp it seems over priced...

I will stay at the Africa Sky Guest House every chance I get!!
The accommodation is great, the food [to order] is way better than anything available in the food court. The experience of staying there makes the overnight stay part of the adventure.

Cal, the $295 price INCLUDES your pre arranged rifle permit, the accommodation, Breakfast and dinner, open bar, free wifi and transport to and from the airport.

The room, alone, @990 rand is something less that $70 per night for a single.

Stay at the City Lodge if you are worried about time or something else but missing the Africa Sky if you have a chance is a mistake!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second everything L Howell said. I've used City Lodge and Africa Sky, and I'll take Africa Sky every time.

Also included in the $295 is cold beer...all you want! How do you beat that?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
African Sky was excellent. Wonderful place in 2012.

Posts: 295 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at Afton House and City Lodge, both good. Next trip I am going to try Africa Sky, sounds like fun.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I used Riflepermits.com in 2011 and the fee at that time was $100. I just checked their website and couldn't find anything regarding their current prices. When I used them I was in and out of the SAPS office in about 15 minutes. They had my permits in hand and the SAPS folks just checked my guns to make sure they matched what was on the permit and I was on my way.

I was in RSA again this past Sept. and didn't use a permit service. You can read about the hassle we received from the SAPS people in my post in the thread two below yours asking if pre approved permits are necessary.

If you're not meeting your PH in the Joberg airport I would strongly recommend using a permit service.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
Here is my experience of one from my RSA trips in 2009 and 2013.

I used Air 2000 (Hunter's Support Services) meet-n-greet service which included the pre-approved import permit. A rep met me at the plane, jumped me to the front of the line at immigration, helped with baggage, and then hand you to the rep at SAPS who has your permit in hand. That rep helped get the guns cleared and I was out the door in less than 15 minutes. I was one of the first ones in line both times. Granted, it may have helped that my PH was also there, but don't think so.

I think it was worth the extra $$ and would use them again, as the last thing I want to do after that long of a trip is spend any more time in the airport than I have to.

Only bad part is you'll spend almost as much shipping (UPS, etc.) the required documents ahead of time as you will the meet-n-greet fee (at least I did).

I would think the biggest decision you'd have is which of your many fine doubles you're taking on this trip. Smiler

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did City Lodge this year and last trip. Did Afton House X2. Definite City Lodge. Convenient, best quality.
Gun clearance: Used Gracy Myers. Very fast and no problems.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 250 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
open bar,

Um.....it's not an open bar, it's an honor bar.....there is a sheet there on the counter where you are supposed to sign for your drinks so they can be charged to your room.....

Their Filet is just outstanding!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heeler75:
Cal,

I used Air 2000 (Hunter's Support Services) meet-n-greet service which included the pre-approved import permit. A rep met me at the plane, jumped me to the front of the line at immigration, helped with baggage, and then hand you to the rep at SAPS who has your permit in hand. That rep helped get the guns cleared and I was out the door in less than 15 minutes. I was one of the first ones in line both times. Granted, it may have helped that my PH was also there, but don't think so.

I think it was worth the extra $$ and would use them again, as the last thing I want to do after that long of a trip is spend any more time in the airport than I have to.

Only bad part is you'll spend almost as much shipping (UPS, etc.) the required documents ahead of time as you will the meet-n-greet fee (at least I did).

I would think the biggest decision you'd have is which of your many fine doubles you're taking on this trip. Smiler

That brings up an interesting and confusing point. Some of the SAPS service providers like Air2000 told me I had to mail the documents to them in order for them to get the pre-approved permit, while others said scan and email was fine. Since I was booked at Africa Sky (they were one of the scan and email providers), I let them handle it and it was seamless. Not sure why some say you have to ship, others say scan and email?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heeler75:
Cal,

Heeler:
Thanks for the info and I will Google Air 2000 (HSS). As to doubles, my .600 Wilkes will be with me on my 5th safari--this time for elephant, but it has taken a dozen buffalo and hippo.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal:

Go to the Ocean Basket in the domestic terminal of OR Tambo. They have some serious prawns there.

Posts: 11990 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"...open Bar..."

Well, yes, I suppose I overstated a bit, it appears to be soft drinks and beers are included with the Hunters Package

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
We always use Africa Sky Guest House. Wonderful place with the best of everyting; eat, sleep, visit with interesting characters and support a local small business. Meet and Greet with firearms service. It's a one-stop place for everything.

Did you know:

1. That the co-owner, Schutte Bekker is a national hero. He played rugby for the Springboks and was a top player for the Bulldogs for a long time.

2. Sometimes you will see a celebrity hunter staying there. Now, I would never be a "name dropper" and tell you who he is. I'm not like that at all. No sir! But I think it's ok to just say the initials "C.B." (Can you keep a secret?)

3. They have added a nice Pool with a boma (fire) and a well equipt exercise room. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with supporting small business.This is the only regret I had from my last trip-that I did not overnight with one of these outfits.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote