New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken Stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just returned from Africa last week and today I finished unpacking my guns from their soft cases. My 300WSM with a very high grade Serengeti laminated stock was broken at the wrist. It was packed in a heavy duty soft case along with my 376 Steyr which was in another soft case. Both had an elastic cord holding both soft cases together. They were inside a SKB Freedom Case which looks like a hard golf case. You put your guns in soft cases inside the SKB case them pack clothes around them. Of course, with the new 50# rule one can not put as many clothes as before. However, this case has been on 14 flights without any damage. On my return when I landed in Washington TSA sent my guns through X-ray and said I was good to go. Them they can and got me and said they wanted to look inside my case. I opened the combination lock and the TSA agent unsipped my soft cases and put an inspection paper in each one. I don't think we pulled either gun even part way out of the case so it could have been broken at that point or it got broken on my final leg to Kansas City. I did take out insurance before I departed so I hope I am covered as I think this stock will cost at least $3000 to replaced. This was a new rifle and was my first hunt with it. It really fit me well and had beautiful wood. There was no damage to the hard case that I could notice. I did have the bolts removed and in a storage pocket along side the stocks. This might have caused the problem as this trip was the first time I had ever removed the bolt. However this trip had 8 legs and I know the rifles made it through 6 of them without any problems

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
army,

Do you have a layer of stiff foam at both ends of the SKB case? This would help protect them in a "end-on" impact! I've recently been advised to put a piece of rigid plastic/plexi/or masonite between the rifle and the foam end cushions to spread out the shock of an end-on impact even further.

I had a custom stock broken in the wrist while in a Browning/Pelican case - I'm sure it was from an end-on impact - no marks on the case at all.

Lets us know how the insurance claim works out - and who provides the insurance.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I am sure those offering laminated stocks will disagree, but having shot matches for many years and aware of a number of shooters fortunate enough to shoot on a world schedule (frquent travel abroad w/ very expensive match grade rifles) have had their laminated stocks break at the wrist. Fortunately there are often times quality gunsmiths on site and can repair for use at the match. One would think such stocks would be quite strong, but have been told they will not tolerate lateral impact at the wrist location?? Again, no expert, but the wrist is probably the weakest point on the stock. I have used laminated stocks for various long range match rifes, but quit using them some years ago due to the very thing described. Not pretty or classic, but for hard working firearms, even abused, one might want to consider synthetic if at all possible. Check out Master Class Stocks, Mr. Alex Sitman who is well known in "working" but precision rifle cirlcles. Expensive, but highest quality in all respects. Good Luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
I bought the Americase Safari- 3 gun case with built in rollers. If you watch their video, you can see that lateral hits as well as other directional impacts are no big deal.
The guns and scopes are truly protected.
I'm sure someone will have a story of a freight train ran over his and it ruined it, etc, but it's the best for rifle support IMHO.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have a 3 gun Americase as well. I like it and my guns have not been injured but I have had my scopes (Leupold VX-III's) to be off significantly from Africa travel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36723 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote