THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Exporting rifles from the US

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exporting rifles from the US
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
I am posting this here as I do not know where else to put it.

I want to buy a couple of rifles in the US next time I am there and bring them back with me to NZ. I will have my NZ import license for the specific rifles as well as mu NZ firearms license. Could someone please tell me what paper work I need to be able to take the rifles with me as hand luggage out of the US.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter,
Call us customs and border secuity for information.you can seach the number nearest you on line. for u s citizens there is only one form but you might have to have a wholeseller ship them to you at home.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
I trust you'll find these links useful.

Gunbroker Export Contacts

Nonimmigrant Alien Rules

An Example of an Exporter

Good luck and please let us know how it all works out.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Madger Matt. The middle one is what I did not have & is most useful info.

Cabellas will have nothing to do with exporting guns.

Another friend in NC has put me on to a FFL dealer. So I'll have to buy & have it shipped to him and then exported through him.

Cheers

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, you need an FFL who has an export licence. Not that many around, as the annual cost is apparently quite high.

FWIW, one of the blokes [RLI] over at NitroExpress.com, an Aussie LFD who's been importing a few from the US recently, recommends Dave's Sports, top of the Gunbroker list. And they have an Oz/NZ fee schedule for download on their website.

RLI says they'll also send via USPS if requested, faster and lower cost than air cargo. This may not work for NZ though, as the parcel dimensional limits are lower than for Oz [NZ 36" length/79" length+girth, Oz 42" length/79" length+girth]. Would require stock removal for bolt actions, anyway.

BTW, when you get your import license, get a few certified copies as well. If it's like Oz, the cert copies go to the FFL and your files, as Customs at your end will want the original.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As Gadge has said, an FFL (Federal Firearms License) is not the same as an exporter's license. Two different things.

These folks are licensed exporters and can help you export your firearms:

Crying Eagle Imports

I have no financial or other business connection with them. I can, however, recommend them from personal experience. They are very helpful and responsible.

Their web page offers a primer on what will be needed.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I'll shout you guys a beer if we ever meet!

Gadge, too bad about the cricket last night mate!! Cool beer