Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

locking ammo box
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I had a the "lock" cut off a zipped duffle bag a few years ago returning from RSA via Turkey.

As nothing was taken, I never knew whether this was part of an official check of some sort, or an attempt of theft.

I do know serveal people who have had their checked luggage broken into at JoBurg airport and items like mobile phone stolen...The theft usually occurs on the return leg of the trip presumably because the luggage spends more time in the airport proior to being loaded.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You can purchase TSA locks on the internet, at most luggage stores or even general department stores that sell luggage. You can either get the keyed locks or combination locks. In any event, the TSA can open both. I like the combination locks with the indicators on them that will tell you if the lock has been opened. It changes from green to red when the lock has been opened and it's a quick way of discerning whether your bag has been searched before you open it. TSA locks usually run about 10 bucks apiece in my experience. I am sure that you could find them cheaper and/or more expensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
You can purchase TSA locks on the internet, at most luggage stores or even general department stores that sell luggage. You can either get the keyed locks or combination locks. In any event, the TSA can open both. I like the combination locks with the indicators on them that will tell you if the lock has been opened. It changes from green to red when the lock has been opened and it's a quick way of discerning whether your bag has been searched before you open it. TSA locks usually run about 10 bucks apiece in my experience. I am sure that you could find them cheaper and/or more expensive.

Use Enough Gun. Thank you..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out www.midwestcasecompany.com My hunting partners and I have bought numerous Pelican products from them including TSA locks.

Good prices and good people to deal with.

You can find the locks under Pelican Accessories.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Can TSA locks be used on the rifle case?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37886 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question:

do any of you see an issue with placing anything else in the lockable ammo box? I bought one at Cabela's about the size of the small 50 cal ammo can. I was thinking chargers for the cameras, etc.

If it is not wise, I will fill/pad it with underwear. Some of the good stuff like my "Big Butt Cigar Company" and Harley-Davidson boxers.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can TSA locks be used on the rifle case?

I was under the impression that no one should be able to open your gun case but you. So no, use a regular padlock.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to Zambia last July thru London on BA. On arriving in Lusaka I found approx. 25-30% of the plastic cases inside the Pelican 1200 case had broken out the bottom of the 5 cases. I had padded the inside with foam from Barnes Bullet boxes but the Frankford Arsenal boxes were ruined. It would be a good idea to put some padding under each case on the bottom as well.

Posts: 73 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TSA locks CANNOT be used on the rifle case and it's against federal regulations and law to do so, no matter who may tell you otherwise. This has been discussed many times here on AR. Only you, the owner of the rifle case, is to have a key or the combination to the lock in order to gain access to the rifle case. You may be asked to provide the key or the combination to open it by TSA if they determine that inspection is necessary, but the case is not to have a TSA lock, allowing them or anyone else unfettered access to your firearms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use Enough Gun,
What the regs may or may not say and how TSA interprets them are two entirely different matters. The last 4 times I have traveled with firearms over the last 2 years, TSA personnel have "requested" sometimes very strongly that the "regular" locks on the cases be replaced then and there with TSA locks, which I did on the spot. My advice is if you are traveling with guns, have locks of both kinds readily available when you check your firearms and they are inspected by TSA.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is NO solution, too many variables. Having gone through all these possibilities I used three Master Lock combination locks, two on the rifle case and one of the filson duffle. Also carried two TSA and an extra Master Lock inside the "unlocked" Pelican double pistol case for the ammo inside the locked duffle.

PROBLEM 1. Neither bag makes it with me to JoBurg so now what? I leave the combination with the people at Afton House who are going to "make sure" everything is ok in my absence as 'I am going on to Zim - no bags and no rifle!

Four days later both bags arrive in the bush, amazing! The double rifle case had not been touched! However, the duffle bag containing the unlocked ammo bag had been cut open at the hasp making it no longer lockable for the return flight(they even left the lock attached to the hasp inside the bag! They had the combination but the thiefs did not so I assume it was cut in order to get at whatever was inside. Nothing was taken! Fortunately I had taken a "second filson duffle around my kifaru spike camp backpack with all my personal items as my carryon. This second one was then used as my "checked bag" for the return flight and locked with both arriving home without further problem.

Long story short there is no RIGHT WAY!

Redundancy is perfection!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EB: I must respectfully disagree with you. If a TSA agent informs you that the regular locks on your hard side gun case must be replaced with TSA locks, then you are under an obligation to remind him of the following, taken directly from the TSA's own website entitled: "Traveling With Special Items" Here is what the applicable regulations say exactly: "The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are: 1) You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process; 2) The firearm must be unloaded; 3)The firearm must be in a hard-sided container; 4)The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you . Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criteria; 5)We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during the screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we cannot contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases(or cases with broken locks) on aircraft." The TSA personnel gave you erroneous advice which could have subjected you to fines, penalties and perhaps criminal prosecution. Next time, may I suggest that you carry the regulations with you, and if you have a problem with TSA personnel that you provide them with their own regulations. If you are unsuccessful, ask for a supervisor.