New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transiting Amsterdam on KLM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
KLM offers by far the least expensive and most direct connections for me to Windhoek (one stop from Houston and about half the money as the next cheapest carrier). I realize that the Dutch have some very strict requirements for pre-authorization to transit Schiphol with firearms and am prepared to jump through those hoops. However, I'd like some help with interpreting these instructions on the KLM website:

Firearms must be unloaded and safely packed in a suitcase or other case. The cartridges must be packed safely, preferably in a suitcase.
Rifles must be transported separately from the ammunition. Firearms and ammunition should be packed separately from other personal belongings.

It is clear that rifles and the ammunition for them must be in separate cases. But does the last sentence indicate that you can't pack your underwear or shirts in the same suitcase as the ammunition? So, do you have to have a checked bag containing nothing but <5 kilograms of ammunition? Perhaps someone who has transited Amsterdam can enlighten me.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I've flown through AMS three times, at least.

All flights originated in the US, on Delta, with my locked ammo box packed inside of my checked bag with clothes, etc. No problems.

At least once, and maybe twice, on the return, KLM made us remove the ammo boxes from the checked bag and it was tagged as a separate piece of baggage all the way home. That gave us three pieces of checked luggage, but there were no extra charges.

I've also had KLM leave the ammo box in the checked bag.

I'd be prepared for the possibility that the ammo box comes out of your checked bag and gets tagged as a separate piece of luggage.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We used locked ammo boxes inside regular luggage without issue as well but it would have been easy to pull out if needed.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
I've flown through AMS three times, at least.

All flights originated in the US, on Delta, with my locked ammo box packed inside of my checked bag with clothes, etc. No problems.

At least once, and maybe twice, on the return, KLM made us remove the ammo boxes from the checked bag and it was tagged as a separate piece of baggage all the way home. That gave us three pieces of checked luggage, but there were no extra charges.

I've also had KLM leave the ammo box in the checked bag.

I'd be prepared for the possibility that the ammo box comes out of your checked bag and gets tagged as a separate piece of luggage.

Same experience. No problem with the trip over (Houston origin, KLM check-in, ammo in locked case inside another bag full of clothes), but on the way back it was separated - but no charge.

When I used to do the Joburg route, I would pack my locked ammo case in my luggage, but it would also be inside a small, light duffel bag with a name tag. On the connecting flights from RSA, it always had to be checked separately. Easy to pull out and do when already bagged and tagged.

Since Zim is generally my destination, Emirates is the best thing going - Houston to Dubai, Dubai to Harare.

One thing I did do on the Amsterdam route was to tape the Netherlands Consent Form, in a clear, tough plastic folder that could opened without removing, to the outside of the gun case.

Unless things have changed, you'll get one for going and one for the return. It was not "one does all" the last time I went that route.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We flew klm from Houston through Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro in July, we had to check the ammo in separate containers, outside of the suitcases. That started giving me some crap about the weight.....that wanted to include the weight of th ammo case in with the weight of the ammo. I botched enough that they weighed the ammo without the case and I was good to go.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I know 3 individuals who have lost their rifles flying on KLM to different destinations in Africa, connecting from the US.

Lost. No sign of them and no one was able to help.

Apparently fingers were pointed at destinations in the US as rifles went back.

I am sorry I have no further details, but all three gentlemen said the same thing.

Just for your information.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the experiences and advice.

quote:
One thing I did do on the Amsterdam route was to tape the Netherlands Consent Form, in a clear, tough plastic folder that could opened without removing, to the outside of the gun case.

Unless things have changed, you'll get one for going and one for the return. It was not "one does all" the last time I went that route.

The form now has a box to check that makes it good for both the outbound and inbound trips: Do you also return the goods (weapons and/or ammunition) to the consignment country? If so, tick ‘Yes’ at vice versa. This way, you will only apply for 1 consent which is valid for both the outward journey and the return journey.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Thanks for the experiences and advice.

quote:

The form now has a box to check that makes it good for both the outbound and inbound trips: Do you also return the goods (weapons and/or ammunition) to the consignment country? If so, tick ‘Yes’ at vice versa. This way, you will only apply for 1 consent which is valid for both the outward journey and the return journey.

That's correct - I now have one of these forms stamped and returned for use in two weeks in a trip to Romania. Fairly easy to do on line and returned very quickly.

Whether everything works as its supposed to is still out to lunch ……. two weeks time I will know!!

Posts: 200 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kuwinda: Be sure to post on return from your trip, both to tell us how the travel experience went and, more importantly, how your hunt went!

By the way, how do you plan to carry your ammunition?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Kuwinda: Be sure to post on return from your trip, both to tell us how the travel experience went and, more importantly, how your hunt went!

By the way, how do you plan to carry your ammunition?

I'll try and post on return - not the greatest at taking photos!!

I'll be carrying my ammo as I always do in a locked steel cash box (with my rifle bolt) in my checked bag - they always mark this "ammunition". I think I will also tape a copy of the consent form on the outside of the gun case.

I'm only taking my own rifle because its a driven hunt and for me at least the sight and the sight picture is crucial - as well as familiarity with the gun. A few years back a friend ended up with a hire gun with an 8x56 scope - useless for driven hunts. I have a 2.5-15 Z6i on my 308.

Posts: 200 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Ian, is Jan going with you? He seems to spend more time hunting than I do- and I am retired! I am jealous. Have a great trip! tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13430 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Ian, is Jan going with you? He seems to spend more time hunting than I do- and I am retired! I am jealous. Have a great trip! tu2

No Jerry, just Anders and a few others - its a small hunt - be interesting to see how this works out. Never been to Romania before.

Anyway - he's just back from Wyoming - but you're right he never stops.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will need a Dutch firearms permit even though you are just transiting. A quirk of going through Amsterdam. It takes 4-6 weeks to get. I'd use Steve Turner with Travel with Guns. He'll charge you a small fee, but well worth it and he's always delivered.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, the weight of the ammo does not include the box. Don't let them snow you on that. Factory ammo boxes yes, but not the lock box.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I flew KLM from Paris through Amsterdam to Dar es Salaam and had the unfortunate experience of having my rifle arrive a day later in Dar. One could get the impression that there are anti-hunting people in customs and/or baggage handling personnel. Another person on the same flight, but coming from a different starting location, had their rifle arrive on time. Results seem to be variable, which is not reassuring.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
You will need a Dutch firearms permit even though you are just transiting. A quirk of going through Amsterdam. It takes 4-6 weeks to get. I'd use Steve Turner with Travel with Guns. He'll charge you a small fee, but well worth it and he's always delivered.

Sorry to say but that's nonsense - it is available online and mine took a week to come back. What actually happened was that I had failed to attach certain information (my fault entirely) and they sent me an email requesting it. It so happened that I was sitting at my laptop when it arrived and I sent this back immediately - within 5 minutes. Five minutes later the stamped signed form appeared in my inbox - as if they were saying "we're more efficient than you!".

Cost - zero.

It remains to be seen if it all works - you tend to find its the things you haven't foreseen that trip you up.