New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacation Home Trades
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone here traded their home for someone elses home for a few weeks of vacation in another country? I was thinking of joining one of the sites where you exchange your home to enjoy a vacation in another location at a very reduced cost. There are over 100 in SA and a few in Namibia. I hope to go back to Africa for another safari in 2011 and this time take my wife and we would both do a little hunting for maybe a week but I would like to stay about a month and do other things. Play a little golf, visit some winerys and maybe travel the garden route. I thought I could schedule a hunt in the cape area and trade out my home for someones home in the cape area for a few weeks. There are some beautiful homes on the web sites. Anyone see any problems with going to SA for about a month and only hunting for a week or so?

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AA

I highly recommend visiting South Africa for longer than your hunt! A month is as long as I have stayed on my own, and it got a bit long, but with someone you enjoy being with it might be fine!

I have never traded homes, but have toured there quite a bit. I believe you could find B&B stays very very reasonably in their "off season" [our summer,generally]. [I have seen some prices cheaper than I can live at home!]

A fixed location might limit your travels, as some of the sights are an overnight trip away.

Driving across the country is easy and a fun trip. And internal domestic flights are pretty reasonable.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
I have never traded homes, but have toured there quite a bit. I believe you could find B&B stays very very reasonably in their "off season"

Hi AA the cape is great for touring and beautiful and Eastern Cape awesome for hunting.Les can testify to that.There are a lot of good EC hunting packages out there for 7-10 days.
Most guys will throw in a tour on request.
But hiring a car and staying at Bed&Breakfast is a good bet they are very up market and not that expensive.
If you need help dont hesitate to contact me and Id be more than willing to help or suggest

Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Dave:

Welcome to the forums.

Hope you, Nikki and the kids have a great Christmas.

Les and I talk often of our first trip to RSA in 2001 with you as his PH. Of course, the lost zebra is brought up by me. His warthog was a laugh however!

Take care.

Dick

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Hi Dick
Good to hear from you again.Yup the zebra.Well we tried I suppose thats all part of hunting you win some you lose some.But then there is Les`s 2nd Zebra thats in the Albumn.

I believe you did a second Safri this year with Les, concrats.You are also qualified to tell AA about our part of the world.
Good xmas to you. and enjoy the snow
as ever
your old friend
Dave davenport

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote