New
Find
Notify
Tools

Packing the TuffPak
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I leave two weeks from today for ZIM with CMS. I have never traveled with TuffPak-I am a little concerned about packing it properly to maximize the protection to the rifles (I am taking two). I have searched the archives of the site and am in process of getting some dense foam for the bottom and the lid. What is the best way to pack clothes (or other packing material) around the soft cases to maximize their protection? Some have said that some movement of the rifles is good, but how much? Thanks for any and all advice.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I've travelled with my TuffPak around the world for the past 16 years, and it will be on its way to Zim again in 8 days. Here's what I recommend:

1. Use the TuffSak. If you don't have one, call Nalpak and order one ASAP.

2. Place your rifles, in their soft cases, into the sack barrel to the bottom. Leave scopes on but remove the bolts - this is what will cause broken stocks, in any gun case. I use ScopeCoats on the scopes.

2. Place your hunting jacket around the scope area of your rifles for additional padding (inside the sack).

3. Pack other items inside the sack down on the bbl end. I put boots and clothing items into the sack.

4. Place your bolts inside old wool socks and double the top back over the bolt; secure with rubber bands.

5. Slide the TuffSak into the TuffPak and place the bolts on top of the end. Close and lock the TuffPak.

For inspections, simply open the case, remove the bolts and pull the TuffSak out about 1/3 of the way. Open the end of the TuffSak, unzip the soft cases and pull the rifles out far enough to read the serial numbers. Return the rifles into the soft cases, zip, close the sack and push it back into the case. Replace the bolts, close and lock the case. Be on your way.

Works for me every time and couldn't be simpler. Have never had a request to remove the rifles further than to read the serial numbers. Good luck on your hunt.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Agree with LH on all points including using clothing for padding. It has worked for years and four trips to africa. An old thread suggested that clothing was a no-no, but no one has bothered me about clothes.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
As long as you can retrieve the rifles from the case without having to unpack loads of clothes and gear, there do not seem to be any issues with placing miscellaneous items in the Tuffpak.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always stuff my jackets into the bottom of the Tuff Pack for protection. I have done it both ways, bolts in and bolts out. I have seen no difference, other than this last trip the bolt to my 7mm got left in Texas.....

Some times it's hard to be me, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort....

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using the tuffpack since they first came out and I love them, and they never seem to wear out, just get scruffy..

I put my guns in a slip on flannel type rag case, then put that in a heavy duty type case. then leave the tops open. I pack jackets, sweaters, binocs, shoes boots or whatever to add to the protection...

Just be sure at inspection that you can pull the gun up and reveal the serial number then push it back down. Do this at home before you fly, so that you dont' have to unpack the whole thing at every customs inspection..

I also put tape on the butt with the serial number written on the butt, tell them its for their convience, 99% of the time that has been satisfactory to the customs folks, ocasionally you will run across one that got up in a bad mood, but that's life on the road....

Most of the time if I am chartering a flight in to camp (examp" Tanzania) I fill the tuff case with unneeded stuff and leave in the hotel vault during my hunt to save space and weight in the plane so a twin engine is not needed, as happens on rare ocassions when some guy wants to take his household furnishing to camp. However on most of my trips I have a good deal of gear as I sometimes spend time in several African countries and spend up to 30 to 60 days. I leave all gear not needed in the hotel, and pick it up on my return..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray - Great idea of taping serial number to butt end of the rifle. Leaving items that don't need to make the final trip to camp is also smart, did that a couple of times and will do the same on next weeks trip to Manitoba. Thirteen trips to Africa, lots more here and around North America and would simply not consider any other case than a Tuff Pak, period.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
LionHunter: +2! tu2 And yes, I too place heavy removable foam pieces in the bottom and at the top of the Tuff Pak. That way if it is dropped, there is extra padding for the rifles during the fall. I place each of my "socked" bolts in the small Tuff Pak Cordura sack attached to the inside of the Tuff Pak and identify the bolts in their socks with tape on the outside of each sock. Never had any problems in doing it this way and in the very same way that LionHunter has suggested. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any suggestions on sources for the foam inserts for the bottom and lid?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
Any suggestions on sources for the foam inserts for the bottom and lid?

I bought some foam at the fabric store and cut it to fit. The top piece sometimes wants to stay with the rifles though.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never used mine in Africa. However , I have taken it to Argentina several years. They are great until the customs people want you to pull the gun all the way out. It becomes a monumental pain in the backside then.

I do have to wonder if the TuffPak might be the answer to stopping pilferage in Tambo. It would be a hell of a lot harder for them to get into and they can't do it quickly .

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both the long and short versions of the Tuffpac. Great travel cases.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry - If you pack the rifles/shotguns in soft cases and keep them at the top of the TP, you can simply slid the entire gun from it's soft case without removing the soft case from the Tuff Pak. After inspection simply slid it back in the soft case that has stayed in it's original place in the Tuff Pak.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have never used mine in Africa. However , I have taken it to Argentina several years. They are great until the customs people want you to pull the gun all the way out. It becomes a monumental pain in the backside then.

I do have to wonder if the TuffPak might be the answer to stopping pilferage in Tambo. It would be a hell of a lot harder for them to get into and they can't do it quickly .

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry Sellers,

I'mm new to using a Tuff Pack. Do you put your ammo in the TP also? Leaving for Zambia 9-30-11. I think the TP is a much better alternative to my aluminum rifle case.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impala - I put my ammo that is in a small Pelican case and locked in another checked duffel bag. Some/most airlines, customs folks in Africa, want the ammo seperate from the rifle. Also the ammo in the Pelican case can be shipped seperatly if need be, as some have experienced going via JoBurg. Hope this helps?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
Larry Sellers,

I'mm new to using a Tuff Pack. Do you put your ammo in the TP also? Leaving for Zambia 9-30-11. I think the TP is a much better alternative to my aluminum rifle case.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I do the same thing that Larry does. By the way, the TuffSak makes pulling the guns all the way out (if need be)such an easy thing to do, since you slide it out, unzip it, unzip each soft case, show the rifle right there in the soft case, and then reverse the process. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
I'm a loyal Tuffpak user and travel with it every year, most years internationally.

Sometimes I stuff clothes around the soft cases, sometimes not. On my last trip to Zambia (Impala03 - you know I made the same trip you're making) I was worried about weight and didn't put ANY clothes in the Tuffsak with the soft cases and the rifles. I've never had any damage or any trouble regardless of how much clothing (if any) was packed in there with the rifles.

I will agree with those who say it's a pain to open the Tuffpak for inspections, though. In my experience it has been a pain. Customs is usually not the problem though, because they let me do it. TSA is the problem, because they insist that only they can touch the case to open it up. Why they open it up when they just x-rayed it and know what's in it I have no idea. But probably 75% of the time they want it open and want to pull everything out and then can't figure out how to get it re-packed and closed. Sometimes they let me give them directions while they do it (Hint: Once you get the Tuffsak about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way in, just stand it up and let gravity take it down, rather than trying to literally stuff it into the hard tube). Sometimes they won't even let me do that much "Sir, we know what we're doing" (and then they struggle with it for 10 minutes while I stand around watching). If you're used to a more traditional gun case that just opens on a hinge, the unpacking and repacking can be a pain.

The other issue is, even when I'm opening and closing it myself (at Customs, at SAPS, etc.) when you pull the Tuffsak out - even if you only pull it 1/3 to 1/2 of the way out, the thing is really long. I can't tell you how many times I've had to do it on the floor on my knees rather than on the rickety table they provide in those places for you to put your bags on.

But all that is worth the trade off in my opinion. It's very secure, very safe, and I think it protects my guns really well.

Finally, I also left my outside shell in Lusaka earlier this summer when I took the charter to camp and just put the Tuffsak on the charter plane to save weight. The only disadvantage to that is that you don't have the Tuffpak in camp with you, and I like to use the Tuffpak as my "safe" in camp.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the info.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Question for you old Tuffpak users:

Do you use the TSA lock version or the round coke machine lock??

I live in the UK but as I am a Yank, I do travel home every now and again and would like to do some bear hunting soon. Do I need the TSA lock version for going in/out of the States??

Thanks!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
NO TSA lock on guncases! YOU should be the only one able to open the case. They will inspect the firearms with you present at check in, you will lock it, and it will be checked to your destination.

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Second question: anybody ever send a Tuffpak through the US Mail??

By my crude guesstimations from the size data on the manufactures website, it should just pass the size restrictions. I want to get one but need it sent via US Post to my military APO box. It would cost a small fortune to send it UPS to the UK. I would not even want to think of what one would cost in Pounds Sterling!!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
American passport no problem moving around country and key on your person after they inspect case.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote