New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuffpak Lock Preference
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Going to purchase a Tuffpak rifle case, I need to decide on the built in lock or a padlock.

What is the consensus here? Is one preferred over the other?

Howard

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
Going to purchase a Tuffpak rifle case, I need to decide on the built in lock or a padlock.

What is the consensus here? Is one preferred over the other?

Howard

I have the built in lock that is not TSA keyed.

If you read or call and talk to them you will find out that the lock for shipping your firearm case is not to be a TSA lock.

Purchase one you like with the wheels option.

They give you options:
TSA lock
non TSA lock
TSA Combination or padlock with hasp.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1591 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I prefer the built in lock.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 871 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them with built in lock and padlock without any issues.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the padlock version, works well. I do carry a spare lock in the event that someone in security decides that they need to see inside with bolt cutters!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I generally used a keyed lock and always wondered where I would store the extra key. I've since switched to combination locks because of this.

I recently needed a padlock for a trailer door and found one in my toolbox with a key in it. I wanted a second key to store in the truck as a spare so I thought that I would go to Lowes to get one made. As I was going out the door I noticed a key hanging on a nail in the laundry room that's been there for at least 12 years. It fit my lock, what are the odds?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote