New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Namibia through Ghana?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I noticed that Air Namibia flies directly to Windhoek through Accra, Ghana. Has anyone here flown this route? Does anyone know if connecting through Ghana with firearms is allowed? If so, what is the required procedure?

As there are several direct flights from the U.S. to Accra per week, I wonder if this might be a less expensive and (somewhat) shorter route to parts of Southern Africa.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which airlines fly from the U.S. to Ghana? How difficult taking a gun as baggage might depend on whether the connecting airline has a baggage agreement with Air Namibia.

I agree that this is a much more direct route than alternatives through either Europe or JNB. Will be interested in the answers you get.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Which airlines fly from the U.S. to Ghana? How difficult taking a gun as baggage might depend on whether the connecting airline has a baggage agreement with Air Namibia.

I agree that this is a much more direct route than alternatives through either Europe or JNB. Will be interested in the answers you get.

Delta flies from JFK and Atlanta, United from Dulles. If my very rudimentary calculations are accurate, this could shave up to several hours off the more traditional routes, depending on specific circumstances. Another plus is that the way the current flights to/from Accra are scheduled, there's no need for an over-night stay - a very good thing in my book.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the potential for time saving. However, I did a quick search of flights to Accra and found that they cost about as much as a flight to JNB, so that route may be more, not less, expensive.

It is true that it is hard to go through JNB without spending the night -- a major disincentive to use that route.

All in all, going through FRA may, for the time being, still be the best way to get to WDH.

Insofar as practicality, since it is very difficult for even the longest-range jets to make it from the U.S. to JNB and still have legal IFR reserve fuel, it would seem that a flight directly to WDH (two hours shorter from the U.S. and almost always VFR), then continuing to JNB (or better, Capetown) would make excellent sense. Of course, airlines are not known for good sense or practicality (cargo in the cabin where the people are supposed to go is free, but cargo in the hold where cargo is supposed to go is extra!)

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been through the Accra airport a couple of times. Not exactly a hive of efficiency. Don't know their firearms policy but I'd be somewhat reluctant to trust them from what I've seen. Having said that, Ghana is pretty good for West Africa.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote