Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling with a bow
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
I would like to hear from the hunters visiting Africa with a bow.

What case did you use to protect your bow during international travel?

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerhard, I have used an SKB case. They seem to hold up well and are not too heavy.

http://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=12&pid=9

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Gerhard,

I just returned from RSA and used a SKB case for two broken down crossbows. The SKB case (can't remember the model) was a combination case able to hold a bow and a rifle but, work extremely well for the crossbows.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I use a Storm case, made by Pelican. Mine is actually a case for two rifles. I modified the foam and can carry my bow and a rifle, which is what I always take to Africa. Very strong case with good latches & wheels.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tuff Pak makes a model that will fit a compound bow and leave room to spare. I have it and have taken a compound bow, arrow case and rifle to Africa and other places with absolutely no problem. The bow and rifle each are in their own soft cases, (which is very handy on arrival), plus there is room for boots and assorted other goodies you want to keep out of prying hands. The current 50# rule makes for less "other stuff" but handles the main items.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser
Hoyt Compound Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
...The current 50# rule makes for less "other stuff" but handles the main items...

Definitely less "other stuff" stuff. Tuff Pak + 2 rifles in soft cases + shooting sticks + a sling and a 10 round cartridge holder is 49.5 lbs.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Tuff Pak makes a model that will fit a compound bow and leave room to spare. I have it and have taken a compound bow, arrow case and rifle to Africa and other places with absolutely no problem. The bow and rifle each are in their own soft cases, (which is very handy on arrival), plus there is room for boots and assorted other goodies you want to keep out of prying hands. The current 50# rule makes for less "other stuff" but handles the main items.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
Hoyt Compound Shooter

Larry,

What is the tuff pack model?

I have been flying a lot with my rods, reels and lures and weight is always an issue.

Got nailed $340US for 4kg over weight from Jhb Int to Vanuatu

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had several that have worked very nicely, the problem is basically all of them will be over the airline size limit and will be considered "oversized" and you will probably be dinged for an extra fee. I have on I got online that is made for my Matthews Heli . It is a double bow case and both of the bows fit very nicely in it but make sure you measure the dimensions of your bow before you order and check against the actual inside dimensions. It says bowtech on it and it is made of thick plastic like a yeti cooler. It is water proof with seals and re enforced latches and the baggage apes did not damage it this past August but it sure looked like they tried

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when I bowhunted I used SKB's with no problems whatsover.

Posts: 10015 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken three trips to Africa and numerous trips in NOAM with a SKB double bow case. I take two bows to Africa. It's a long way to a pro shop. This last july I pulled a bone head mistake and broke my primary bow and used my back up.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never paid an extra penny on 17 trips to Africa, and many, many trips here in the USA and Canada because my weapons case was "oversize", be it a Tuff Pak or other type of case. All the airlines I fly with, consider these items "sporting cases" and do not charge extra for them being "oversize". drwes, don't know who you fly with but they are sticking it to you my friend.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
Hoyt Bow Shooter

quote:
Originally posted by drwes:
I have had several that have worked very nicely, the problem is basically all of them will be over the airline size limit and will be considered "oversized" and you will probably be dinged for an extra fee. I have on I got online that is made for my Matthews Heli . It is a double bow case and both of the bows fit very nicely in it but make sure you measure the dimensions of your bow before you order and check against the actual inside dimensions. It says bowtech on it and it is made of thick plastic like a yeti cooler. It is water proof with seals and re enforced latches and the baggage apes did not damage it this past August but it sure looked like they tried

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
+1. back in the day before i used camp rifles, i was never charged for "oversized" baggage as long as it was sporting items. that said, in the past i used an SKB double bow case to transport a bow and a rifle together. worked just fine..

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13148 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used SKB bow case alot and never had an issue. Have even used it for rifles a couple times as it does not look like a gun case. Several folks over the years have asked what kind of keyboard I played

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I travel with an SKB golf bag case. Bow, arrows, and most of my clothes fit. You have to get the big one, but I've never had a question or been charged an extra fee. Most bag handlers ask me where I'm playing golf. I mutter something and keep going. Not all bows fit so you need to take the bow to a golf shop to check it out.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.

I have asked my Bow Pro shop in South Africa to investigate a couple of cases mentioned.

The Bowtech RPM 360 needs to fit.

Its a bummer I cant bring my archery equipment to Saudi Arabia to practice...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Bowtech Destroyer 350 fits in the golf case. Not sure if it compares to your bow. I traveled to Alaska on Friday with the case and a carry on.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am heading to South Africa in November and I have never traveled with a bow. How do you carry your broadheads? In original packages or in some container to prevent other stuff from getting cut? I have an MTM bolt case that is long enough to put the broadheads on the bolts. That case is not that durable though.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Ed,

The wife and I just returned from RSA on a crossbow hunting trip. We also have the MTM bolt cases. I left all my broadheads in their original packages. I did this for safety reason but, I'm unsure of the regulations for transport. We did not want a TSA agent cutting their hand while searching the luggage. My wife and I gave the unused broadheads to the PH. If we had some packing tape (to repair the package) we probably would have brought the broadheads back.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Highlander7. I left them in the packaging. I am trying to figure out how to pack the bow (Ten Point crossbow). My brother has my two gun case in Alaska and I hate to buy a large bow case just for this trip. I looked at a Gander Mountain store and they either had expensive or cheap double rifle cases. I would like to find a rather short aluminum rifle case and break the bow down to travel.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Ed,

It took me a long time for me to find a case to fit two broken down crossbows (Excalibur) so, I feel your pain. I to have two aluminum gun cases but, neither one would fit both. The wife and I did buy a hard side Samsonite Luggage. We thought it would fit both but, my limbs are too long. Her bow fits with room to spare along with enough room for clothing. I'm going to use her crossbow and the Samsonite on my trip to B.C. next year.

Matt

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older SKB two gun case but it has the cutouts for two rifles with hard foam on the surface and softer foam under it. I don't want to cut it up since I have a cape buffalo and hippo (on land) hunt next year. I will take a bolt gun and a double rifle on that trip,

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
I had one built by Strongcase by TNB Enterprises. It holds three bows or two bows plus a ton of gear. its all aluminum with piano hinge and twist locks. Expensive, but your bow will not get damaged.

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I borrowed an aluminum case from a client that is a breakdown shotgun case. It is 36" x 14.5" which I think will be just right for my crossbow broken down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always traveled with two bows as well. Never used the backup, but it was there.

The most efficient bowhunting trip I ever made from a luggage standpoint was with a backpack for carryon and two SKB bow cases. One single SKB with one bow, and a double SKB, which contained my other bow and everything else on the other side -- clothing, gadgets, etc. Everything that I didn't have on or in my carryon was in one of the two SKB cases. Worked fine.

Posts: 10015 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote