New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lufthansa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone flown the US-Frankfort-Windhoek route lately? If so how was the trip with guns and how was the cost?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We flew Edinburgh - Frankfurt - Windhoek (then Vic Falls) last June. It was OK but be aware that the Frankfurt - Windhoek leg will be operated by Lufthansa's budget branch Eurowings Discover. It was perfectly OK for us - we were in business - but our friends, who were coming from Denmark, were not so impressed in Economy. They had to buy (!!) a blanket, headphones and drinks. Guess this is OK if you are aware of this. We did not have guns with us as we were travelling Zim - Botswana - Namibia (never been one to do things the easy way....) - though we were hunting in Namibia.

If you are transiting Frankfurt with guns make sure you have enough time - minimum 3 hours I'd say - and that it will cost you something like E60 per gun for the privelage.

Can't have been too bad cos I'm carting the whole family out to Namibia this summer for a "big trip" - can't put ten of them in Business though!! My daughters first trip back to Africa since they were 10 and 12 years old.

The cost seems to vary hugely - I paid only about £700 for economy seats last year - they are now around £1,800 - only slightly less than I paid for Business seats last year. Can only conclude that numbers are up?

Posts: 198 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I always negotiate at the counter at each leg of the flight for business/first upgrades. Been pretty successful at getting them for $500-$1000/seat

Now, for my RSA trip this summer with my wife, booked economy plus on United. It's better than domestic first on most airlines. New Zealand Air economy plus is also pretty nice.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3056 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I looked at Lufthansa for my upcoming trip to Namibia from Atlanta but it ultimately wasn’t much cheaper than the Qatar Airlines business ticket I bought yesterday. Looked at the Eurowings Discover business class but not too impressed. They are using 20 year old Lufthansa Airbus 330’s. And the 14+ hour Frankfurt layover would suck.Regular Lufthansa business class is definitely a cut above Eurowings.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13228 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not on this route, but to Europe from Dubai.

Used to travel a lot on them.

Them major screws kept coming up, and I won't be flying them unless I have no other choice.

Totally mismanaged a cancelled flight.

Out of Munich to Dubai at night.

Mechanical problems, so flight was cancelled.

No alternate plane, we had to stay the night in Munich.

Were given vouchers for hotel and taxi.

Taxis were coming one every so often, families with kids, given taxi vouchers, taxis are not allowed to carry kids without child seat.

Taxis can only carry 4 passengers.

Families with 5 were given one taxi voucher, so could not go.

An utter disaster.

In the terminal they were routing everyone onto STAR ALLIANCE airlines.

I refused, and insisted on flying Emirates.

They booked me on Emirates out of Frankford, but made sure I had very little time to connect to my flight, despite the fact there were earlier flights available to get me to Frankfort.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67354 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote