THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Canada to Jo-burg with rifle, thru Frankfurt or Zurich?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canada to Jo-burg with rifle, thru Frankfurt or Zurich?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all, I'm booking flights for my first hunt in Africa since pre-covid.

I am wondering if it is still straight forward with no hang-ups, to fly through Frankfurt or Zurich With a rifle.

Any news or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time , Brian Gallup

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the airline...
Usually going through Europe is major mess.
Better talk to a very knowledgeable travel agent that handles guns.

Better yet, rent them when you get there. Cheaper and a lot less hassle.

I have rented 5 or 6 times so far with no issues.

Guns will add up to a thousand extra dollars to your trip.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat,
Yes, I have done it both ways and renting is my favourite. This time I have made some changes to my .577 rifle and have a new bullet to test and it might be the last year that I will be able to handle a 577NE, so I am going for it. I have a nice 375 bolt action and a 470NE double that is already over there that I use for free. It costs me $300 -$400 to take my own rifle. ( Africa Sky Guest House.)
Before covid I always went through Heathrow with guns. Never a problem. Thanks for your input, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I looked at going through Frankfurt, there is permits that are needed and you need them in advance. You need to have a copy (take extras as everyone wants a copy) of your permit going and coming. I take a copy for each stop along the way that you and your luggage change airlines and some extras just in case. Big question traveling through Europe was knowing the baggage tag number for each of your bags. The one for your firearms and the other for your ammunition. They wanted to see the luggage claim tags, you needed to know which one was the firearm and ammo. On one trip i forgot and put the luggage tags with my pass port and when i handed them my pass port, it took me a bit to remember the tags were in my passport book and i written on each tag which one was for the firearm and ammo.

Use a good travel agent that knows the ropes traveling with firearms.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked at going through Frankfurt, there is permits that are needed and you need them in advance. You need to have a copy (take extras as everyone wants a copy) of your permit going and coming. I take a copy for each stop along the way that you and your luggage change airlines and some extras just in case. Big question traveling through Europe was knowing the baggage tag number for each of your bags. The one for your firearms and the other for your ammunition. They wanted to see the luggage claim tags, you needed to know which one was the firearm and ammo. On one trip i forgot and put the luggage tags with my pass port and when i handed them my pass port, it took me a bit to remember the tags were in my passport book and i written on each tag which one was for the firearm and ammo.

Use a good travel agent that knows the ropes traveling with firearms.

I do the same thing and take a pic of the labeled tags as well.

Posts: 1819 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've gone through Frankfurt, and it was no major problem but Frankfurt Airport security requires you to have some permits filled out ahead of time. I actually found them quite helpful. That was about three years ago.
The USA travel services that may be hired for expediting firearms via air were useless to me. I wasted a couple hundred dollars on them since they don't understand much about Canadian hunters flying with guns and really only cater to their USA customers. They'll cheerfully take your money though.

here's the email I got from Frankfurt:

From: sabrina.stock@stadt-frankfurt.de <sabrina.stock@stadt-frankfurt.de> On Behalf Of transfer@stadt-frankfurt.de

Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 8:28 AM

Subject: NEW! Transfer licenses via Frankfurt

Dear Sir or Madam,

via this E-Mail we would like to inform you about changes in the process of applying for transfer licenses for your customers who are hunters, sports shooters and other weapons owners.

If your customers travel to foreign countries via the airport in Frankfurt, an application for a transfer license must be placed with the weapon authority of Frankfurt.

Up until now, the applications and the issuance of the permits took place via E-Mail.

From November 01, 2018 the applications and the issuance of the permits can only be placed online via the following link:

www.frankfurt.de/mitnahmeerlaubnis

The documents necessary for the application such as identification documents or weapons permits from the customers home countries can be uploaded via the application portal.

The fee of 20 € for the permit can be paid online as well. The following online payment systems can be used at present:

◦ PayPal

◦ Master Card, Visa

◦ GiroPay

If the application is approved, you will receive an E-Mail with a link to download and print the permit.

In addition to the permit document a certificate with security features for counterfeit security will be attached to the E-Mail. Please print this document as well and present both documents to the customs authority at the airport in Frankfurt am Main.

We hope to have made the application process more transparent and easy to understand for you with this online processing portal.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Im Auftrag
Sabrina Stock

** Hope that helps!

Posts: 237 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian, I just went through Amsterdam with KLM last June. If you decide to go that route i can give you process step by step and send you the forms. I almost messed up BAD, but now i know what to do.

Neither myself or any of my friends have found a good one stop agent here in Canada to do all this for you, so we just rely on each others experiences... I have never been through Frankfurt, so, sorry i can't help there.

Posts: 164 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Longwalker, That is good information. Thank you very much.

Also What part of Sask. do you hail from? My wife's family were Swedish pioneers around Broadview and My grandfather owned the hardware story in McCrory during the "dirty thirties".

"Longwalker "is a good name for a Sask. hunter.

Thanks again, Brian

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryce Dillabough:
Hi Brian, I just went through Amsterdam with KLM last June. If you decide to go that route i can give you process step by step and send you the forms. I almost messed up BAD, but now i know what to do.

Neither myself or any of my friends have found a good one stop agent here in Canada to do all this for you, so we just rely on each others experiences... I have never been through Frankfurt, so, sorry i can't help there.

Bryce, flying through Amsterdam i received my permit 2 days before i departed. I was getting stressed waiting for approval to come through.

I also used KLM and check in was a bugger, as the check in agent wanted to see the regional letter, not the one i printed off the computer. I needed to have a supervisor come and assist me obtain my check in and being able to check my rifle. This took about 45 minutes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bryce, Thanks for the offer and information. Same to everyone else.

I think that I am "chickening out" on taking my .577 NE. I will use my 470 that is already there with the outfitter. I am getting to the age where the process of flying with a gun is a bit too much for me. ( It's funny, I fear the airports and customs process for some reason, yet I can't wait to get out in the bush where I feel comfortable facing a cape buffalo! Go figure.)

Thanks again to you and everyone who has given me good advice and help. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longwalker:
I've gone through Frankfurt, and it was no major problem but Frankfurt Airport security requires you to have some permits filled out ahead of time. I actually found them quite helpful. That was about three years ago.
The USA travel services that may be hired for expediting firearms via air were useless to me. I wasted a couple hundred dollars on them since they don't understand much about Canadian hunters flying with guns and really only cater to their USA customers. They'll cheerfully take your money though.

From: sabrina.stock@stadt-frankfurt.de <sabrina.stock@stadt-frankfurt.de> On Behalf Of transfer@stadt-frankfurt.de

Dear Sir or Madam,

via this E-Mail we would like to inform you about changes in the process of applying for transfer licenses for your customers who are hunters, sports shooters and other weapons owners.

If your customers travel to foreign countries via the airport in Frankfurt, an application for a transfer license must be placed with the weapon authority of Frankfurt.

Up until now, the applications and the issuance of the permits took place via E-Mail.

From November 01, 2018 the applications and the issuance of the permits can only be placed online via the following link:

The documents necessary for the application such as identification documents or weapons permits from the customers home countries can be uploaded via the application portal.

The fee of 20 € for the permit can be paid online as well. The following online payment systems can be used at present:

◦ PayPal

◦ Master Card, Visa

◦ GiroPay

If the application is approved, you will receive an E-Mail with a link to download and print the permit.

In addition to the permit document a certificate with security features for counterfeit security will be attached to the E-Mail. Please print this document as well and present both documents to the customs authority at the airport in Frankfurt am Main.

We hope to have made the application process more transparent and easy to understand for you with this online processing portal.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Im Auftrag
Sabrina Stock

** Hope that helps!

The link no longer seems to work, I emailed the lady and I’m waiting for a answer.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spooksar:
quote:
Originally posted by Longwalker:

Dear Sir or Madam,

◦ PayPal

◦ Master Card, Visa

◦ GiroPay

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Im Auftrag
Sabrina Stock

** Hope that helps!

The link no longer seems to work, I emailed the lady and I’m waiting for a answer.

Sabrina’s email no longer works either

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There are other routes to Johannesburg without going through Europe.

Probably easier too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Probably easier too.

If you can find one then we are all ears. If you are thinking emirates through the USA then that is a problem. Although Canadians can take our guns into USA without too much trouble, transporting through USA and into another country is a whole different ball of wax. It shouldn’t be, but it is or we would all be doing it. Maybe Emirates could do a direct from Montreal or something to JNB. Then we wouldn’t have to bother with Europe!….. but they don’t.

Posts: 164 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryce Dillabough:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Probably easier too.

If you can find one then we are all ears. If you are thinking emirates through the USA then that is a problem. Although Canadians can take our guns into USA without too much trouble, transporting through USA and into another country is a whole different ball of wax. It shouldn’t be, but it is or we would all be doing it. Maybe Emirates could do a direct from Montreal or something to JNB. Then we wouldn’t have to bother with Europe!….. but they don’t.

Emirates flies to Toronto.

They like to fly to other destinations in Canada, but your government won't allow them because Air Canada is part of the Star Alliance.

They don't like competition.

May be you can have a word with the little commie in charge to do something about it! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you are right. I did look at the Toronto route, but it adds the extra stop in Dubai and Toronto is one of the worst airports in the world....might as well just throw my double rifle out the window of my truck on the way to the airport....

Trust me, most of us would love some "discussion" time with our PM...

The cartels in our country are first rate for sure. The airline industry is one of many....Dairy, Grain, Oil, Lumber, you name it...