Find
Notify
Tools

Ethiopian Air updates?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted
I've read the search info but am looking for anything current. I'd like to take some family over next year but nobody on the west coast knows anything about ET and have doubts (unfounded?) about them.

Any and all info, good, bad, indifferent will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for playing.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had a client fly on Ethiopian this year to Zim. I'll find out what he thought of it. I think Aaron has flown with them a couple of times.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I flew EA to Zambia in May. Granted I flew during the Osama raid and shortely thereafter and security was likely higher, but they were not the smoothest airline to deal with regarding firearms. My firearm made it, but I damn near missed my connecting flight home in Addis Ababa while they kept me in bowels of the airport deciding whether or not they could load my firearms case on my flight to the US. Other than that, the experience was OK. The employees are pleasant enough. The only issues that stood out in my mind during the flight(s) were slow service, poor selection of movies and no spirts in cattle class. None of which would keep me from using EA again, but the firearms issue will give me pause.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you mean you can't buy a drink in coach??? FORGET IT !!!!!!!!!( I never travel with a gun any more so that is a non-issue)

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13180 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
you mean you can't buy a drink in coach??? FORGET IT !!!!!!!!!( I never travel with a gun any more so that is a non-issue)

All that was offered in coach was beer and wine. When I asked for scotch you would have thought I was asking for crack by her reaction.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew Ethiopian Air from Dulles to Nairobi, Nairobi to Addis and then Addis back to Dulles. Solo female, Sept 15th to Oct 10th. I thought the service was fine. I was really worried about carry on luggage (75 lbs of photography gear in 2 bags) but I had an email from the airline saying they would do their best to accomodate me and everyone let me carry it on.

I had read not so nice stuff about the personnel and I didn't notice anything negative. I did drink wine but didn't try to buy any liquor so no experience there. I thought the bathrooms were cleaner at the end of the long flights than any airplane bathroom I've seen. The food wasn't very good for airline food which is pretty poor to begin with so you might take your own snacks.

They suggested being at the airport 3 hours early in Addis. I didn't get there until 1.5 or 2 hours before the flight and spent the whole time in line and all but half a dozen people had already boarded by the time I got to the gate. Everyone is allowed 2 checked bags and check in took a long time. If you happen to be going to Addis, they did a search of all males entering the airport parking lot. No women security people were there so I didn't have to get out of the car but every male did and they were patted down. I hadn't seen that before. Normal security inside.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

~Cindy

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
After further research, I won't be flying with them. Among other issues, they are not gun friendly.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Our guy that used EA this year had no issues. I'd pass on his contact info but I understand he is quite ill.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EA is one of the few African airlines approved for US government travel. This is based off of safety record and not comfort. I've flown them once or twice and it was pretty nice for African air travel. If you're coming from/to US or Europe, there are probably better choices for comfort and service. Head and shoulders above other nationals like Air Algiers Mad , Air Ivoire, or Burkina Air.

Posts: 40 | Location: Back in the USAAAA!!!!! | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote