THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Travelling with guns to Zim via Germany

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travelling with guns to Zim via Germany
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the most recent issue of Sports Afield there was a sidebar warning people who (like me!) want to travel to Harare via Frankfurt-- or any other EU country-- with firearms. The article cautioned that unless one takes the guns off the plane in Jo-berg, in effect breaking the trip in two, the guns may not go to Zim from the EU because of the embargo. Has anyone else heard of this before? I hadn't. If so, what did you do?

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sdirks

The embargo is real and has been in place for several years. Use a travel agent such as Gracy, Kathi Klimes, Doug Turner etc that specialize in Afrcan travel and they'll help you navigate this problem. Hundreds of clients travel through the UK and Europe with their own guns on their way to Zim each year with no problems.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12877 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just buy your RSA-Zim ticket separately, then check your guns as far as JNB and recheck them there. Most people spend a night at JNB anyway.

Having said that, London and Amsterdam are (I think) the only two places that seem to care. The other routes the guns just go thru as checked baggage.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Just buy your RSA-Zim ticket separately, then check your guns as far as JNB and recheck them there.

Don't forget that doing so will break your trip up from a single international flight to one international and one local flight. Your baggage allowance will drop dramatically on the second leg. Not a worry, just an added cost to be aware of.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's actually more to it than that now.

For some bizarre reason the EU have recently passed a new directive that NO AMMUNITION may be carried on EU originating flights.

TAP are now enforcing the rule and you can expect other airlines to soon follow suit.

My advice would be to avoid Europe completely if at all possible

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Steve I guess it is still early to write home - yet.

I've been to Zim through Frankfurt with firearms 3 times by now (checked from LJU via JBG to HRE) - latest November 2009 Never had a problem. I am going again in app. 2 weeks time (my travel agent haven't informed me on any probs - yet - will see and report!). Tho a VERY sound suggestion by Mark:

quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
sdirks

The embargo is real and has been in place for several years. Use a travel agent such as Gracy, Kathi Klimes, Doug Turner etc that specialize in Afrcan travel and they'll help you navigate this problem. Hundreds of clients travel through the UK and Europe with their own guns on their way to Zim each year with no problems.

Mark

Those guys are there for things like that and are worth their weight in gold - with things developing they will be even more appreciated in the future - use them whenever travelling with firearms!

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you guys are getting the news of what's going on with the discovery at the UK & Dubai airports?...... but Sky are already talking about the Govts tightening regulations for transport of flammable materials etc........ so I wouldn't be surprised if the Euro ammo ban is introduced sooner rather tan later and/or it spreading beyond Europe. Frowner

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Will see - all that was different this time, was that I had to attach a copy of my passport (airline passengers with reservations must now give their full name, birth date and gender, just as it appears on a driver's license or other government ID, to their airline 72 hours before departure. If not, there's a chance they may not be flying.)

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2...g.html#ixzz13lzro6AG

And the only hiccup I had was last time when connecting in JBG (back from Zim) to Frankfurt. The whole point being - flight from Hre to JBG was operated by BA (they are not a member of Star Aliance - SA and Lufthansa are). So Lufthansa charged me 120 € extra for loading my rifle in JBG (although my firearm was anounced and payed for when obtaining ticket and checked all the way to my home)...plain robbery, however if I'd be standing my ground I believe I'd still be there.

Anyway - will report ASAP how it went this time!

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Just back - all went smoothly.