THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    South African Airways workers will embark on a national strike on Friday

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South African Airways workers will embark on a national strike on Friday
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
SATAWU threatens strike action
Gia Nicolaides | 25 Minutes Ago

Trade union SATAWU has confirmed South African Airways workers will embark on a national strike on Friday if acting CEO Chris Smyth and the board does not respond to their grievances.

A crowd of SAA staffers have been picketing outside Airways Park in Johannesburg for the past week calling on Smyth and other board members to step down.

They claim the acting CEO called several workers the k-word when they tried to meet with him two weeks ago and three other managers were trying to defend him.

The union’s Ephraim Mphahlele said they were planning to intensify their protest action.

“It will culminate into a full blown strike this coming Friday in an event where SAA management does not address the issues that gave rise the current demonstration,” Mphahlele said.

Smyth denied the allegations and is seeking legal advice.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9372 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of crl
posted Hide Post
Strike? Their airline is the absolute worst I have ever been on. I just came home on 8/4 from Johburg on SA Flight 203. Rude staff, filthly plane, worst seats ever!!. Hopefully a strike will put them out of business and someone else will fill the space.

I will never ever repeat ever fly SA Airlines again. I would rather take a slow boat to Africa than fly on an Airbus 340.

crl

The average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty; and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

Posts: 379 | Location: MN | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, SAA is a very poor business concern today. It was not too many years ago that it was a joy to fly. I doubt they will go out of business (the government would probably not allow that to happen), but they may become a takeover target if they don't go too far down the economic curve.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think from what I have seen from the SAA staff is that they are going to strike because they might actually be expected to do a little work to earn their paychecks.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
If DELTA would get their act together, there is a real opportunity to take advantage of this situation! Unfortunately, the word is that they are still having issues with their African Program.

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robncolorado:
If DELTA would get their act together, there is a real opportunity to take advantage of this situation! Unfortunately, the word is that they are still having issues with their African Program.

Used Delta 3 times to africa never had a problem

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
They claim the acting CEO called several workers the k-word when they tried to meet with him two weeks ago and three other managers were trying to defend him.

Uh, what's the k-word? I'm not familiar with it.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
The Afrikaans version of the "N" word

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I have tickets on SAA for 13 and 26 Aug, figured I’d better get to the root of this fast. Called the SAA office here in the USA yesterday – asked what would happen if SAA stopped flying due to the possibility of a pending union strike, what alternate travel plans they would provide, and what will happen to bags/guns checked through to a final destination.

Her response was their office hadn’t heard of any pending strike, during previous strikes SAA still flew as scheduled, the baggage is handled by outside contractors who hadn’t been part of the previous union strikes.

I have no independent method to confirm either the original post nor the SAA reps responses to my questions…..guess this is just part of the “African adventure”.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
m3taco

You should be in contact with your travel agent ASAP! They may have a better plan!

During the previous strike they most certainly DID NOT fly as scheduled!!!

I was delayed almost a week, others were stopped en route [in Wasington as I recall] and had to show up early each day to determine if they were to be on a flight - if there was a flight. Schedules were not normal.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Informed by SAA they settled late yesterday

So there should not be any Strike

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9372 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathi;

Thanks as usual for the quick, reliable updates on all situations important. Using SAA at the end of the month so glad to see this will not be an issue??

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
as was posted earlier, i wouldn't fly SAA if they were the only airline going to Africa. shitty service, shitty planes, shitty attitude!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote