THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Abu Dhabi & Dubai, UAE? Do's and Don'ts?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abu Dhabi & Dubai, UAE? Do's and Don'ts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First of all, if this is the wrong forum please let me know and move this thread if you can (didn't see any other relevant forum on the site). Wink

I will be traveling to the UAE in early May and will return to the USA mid-June. What are the best things to do in my free time? Are there definite must see sights or must do activities? What sort or tourist attractions are there? From online reading, the UAE appears to be a popular European vacation destination but, I don't see what the draw is other then shopping.

Any tips, advice, etc. are appreciated very much!

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
My tuppence worth...

Abu Dhabi = boring
Dubai = Cool

I recommend a trip out wadi bashing in the dunes. It like Glamis but with nobody in it! If you like sailing do try to get a day out in a dhow.

You can eat and drink almost anything you can thing of and it will be good. Just don't be drunk or have it on your breath out in public. Dress conservatively. Shorts are fine at the pool but not really appropriate in public.

Enjoy!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks BwanaCole!

This sort of confirms what I have been thinking based on some European travel sights. Not much besides eating, shopping, dune bashing, sailing, and some falconry and camel/horse racing at certain times of the year.

The Autodrome seems like it might be worth a look too.

Alcohol consumption isn't a big concern for me on a trip like this. Beer is best (for me at least) in Germany and the Netherlands (or Texas Wink), Whiskey and Bourbon in Tennessee and Kentucky, and I don't really have a taste for wine. I'm also pretty fair skinned so, I rarely wear anything other then long pants outside the house.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't have any public displays of affection, but that is just good manners anywhere.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote