THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Windhoek & Frankfurt Overnight Recommendations?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windhoek & Frankfurt Overnight Recommendations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It looks like I will need to add an overnight in Windhoek and Frankfurt. Does anyone have any recommendations for lodging and a place to eat/grab a beer?

Posts: 103 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Travel Planning Web Site:
Tripadvisor

Lot's of places to stay at any price point you want to pay. We've personally stayed in Oganga, Christoph, Villa Violet and Palm Quill. Our favorite so far has been Villa Violet.

Joe's Beerhouse is a must do at least once for dinner - Kudu Steak!!!

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll take a look.

Posts: 103 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we caught the train in from the Frankfurt airport last June. I went online and got a room at the Holiday Inn Express. It was a bit of a hike with luggage from the train station, but not too bad. We left our guns overnight with the office that is their customs. The German equivalent of customs were helpful and all went very smooth. I simply picked up the guns from the United terminal, carried them to their customs, paperwork had been done and emailed ahead of time, signed them in and left them.

We prowled around Frankfurt, ate, and saw the sights. The next morning got up, prowled around a bit, caught the train back to the airport. It took a good bit of time to get the guns out of customs and carry them to the Air Namibia counter and check them in, seems like a couple of hours. No problems, they were all great, just different terminals etc.

Frankly I recommend the overnight in Frankfurt. We were pretty tired after flying all day from South Texas to New York and overnight to Frankfurt. The shower, good nights rest, etc then overnight into Windhoek made the next day in Windhoek easier. There are a couple of hotels downtown by the train station, I was just being cheap going to the Express. PM me if you need more specifics,

Posts: 36 | Location: Texas & New Mexico | Registered: 01 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't stayed at Onganga since 2007, but it was very nice in 2004 and 2007. Great people; nice accomodations. Second Joe's for at least one meal.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stayed at the Windhoek Hilton, very nice and convenient to local shops. Will stay there next time. As mentioned in a previous post, Joe's Beer House is a must, make a reservation.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankfurt is not the most charming city in my opinion so it depends on how much time you have. If you essentially have just the evening and night I would just walk across the skywalk from the terminal into the hotel that is attached to it. I can't remember if it a Radisson or something else but it's clean and nice in a very modern and "airport" sort of way. If you have a little more time during the day I would rent a car and drive about an hour south to Heidelberg. A very charming old city where you can have a beer and Schnitzel outside in a medieval cobble-stoned town square. Then take a stroll up the hill and wander around the old castle ruin before sauntering down again and staying the night in a charming old boutique hotel. I think I have stayed at something called Romantik hotel zum Ritter or something like that.
Just my suggestions...

Posts: 181 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
It's been years, but the Sheraton in the airport was great.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote