New
Find
Notify
Tools

fishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife and I will be in Livingstone for a few days around the 10th of June prior to our hunt in the Luangua. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone to take us on a Zambezi fishing-sightseeing trip for a day while there. My wife has never caught a fish and I thought it would be neat to spend a day trying to remedy this.

joec

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
get ahold of your ph/outfitter, & they will no doubt get you set up. those guys all love to fish

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a Zambezi fishing-sightseeing trip for a day while ther

I made the mistake of letting my hunting guide find a "Fishing guide" I got a truly once in a life time African experience! 20 year old outboard motor with a sewer pipe duct taped on for a throttle handle, Fishing poles all with missing eyes, Reels with only 20-30 yd of line, Tackle boxes with 3-5 lures for four fishermen They don't even know what a swivels is!

I fished with three different lodge / fishing operations ( All terrible ) You can not trust what you see advertised online. Get recommendations from hunters, not somebody making money off of the trip. Bring your own tackle,
Do your home work! Good luck

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Africa has some great fishing, but I'd also advise bringing ALL your own tackle.

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Have a look at the following web site

http://www.fishingzambezi.com/

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You might also like to contact Dirk who runs a company called Y Knot...... they have some stunning fishing all over Africa. His fishing might not be the cheapest in Africa but I guarantee it'll knock your socks off!

You can contact him at dirk@y-knot.co.za and please send him my best regards.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If you want to fish for trout in the lowveld, this place: http://www.mistyvalleylodge.co.za/

Again, nt cheap but well worth the money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, but it really is just a day trip. We already have accomodations in Livingstone and are there for my wife to see Victoria Falls and rest up from the trip over before going on a 14 day hunt. I would just like to be picked up and taken for a day to sight-see and try and catch some fish. Not a mission just a relaxing day out to see the country.

joec

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
My granddaughter and I stayed at the Thorntree Lodge on the river near Livingstone in 2002. I don't know what the situation is now, but the fellow who managed the place then had a well-maintained pontoon boat and I saw good-quality fishing gear stacked along the wall in the dining room.

Although packing rods and reels might be more trouble than it is worth, you may want to take an assortment of silver spoons in 3- to 4-inch sizes and 10-inch steel leaders (they're called "traces" in Africa). When you see the teeth on your first tigerfish you'll know why you need leaders.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Get ahold of Russell Caldecott at the Ultimate Safari Lodge in Vic Falls. He does lots of fishing trips and based on the mounts in his office they catch some whoppers! Russell is a fantastic guy and many on here can vouch for him.

His e-mail is:
ultimate -AT- mweb.co.zw

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went on a half day fishing trip with one of Russell's guides in October. I caught quite a few tiger fish. About 10 I think. I also caught a number of some other fish.

It is very scenic. The river is magnificent. You can see all sorts of animals from the boat.

It was a blast. I would absolutely do it again.

make sure and take lots of sunscreen.

Posts: 11961 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Africa has some great fishing, but I'd also advise bringing ALL your own tackle.

I brought all my own gear but I was also fly fishing. Brought a 9wt and 10wt for tigers, with large arbor reels and 400 grain 24ft sink tips. Flies were Clousers and such in red/black, silver/black and others but they worked the best. Remember the 30lb wire trace also.

I fished with Ichingo River Lodge (they were great!!!!). One of there guides was awesome for fly fishing, and while I was prepped pretty well, I did borrow some of his stuff. Great Boats, Great Camp, and located a stones throw from Kasani in Botswana, so it shouldn't be that far of a drive from Vic Falls (an all day affair) as thats where we started.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SierraBravo45,
We will be at Ichingo at the end of June. My 14 year old son and I plan to fish for 3 days before heading off to meet up with his dad to hunt. We won't be bringing our own fishing gear and we are "recreational" fishermen. From your post, it sounds like we will be fine using their gear. Your photos are great and this fisherMOM is really looking forward to being at Ichingo.

Posts: 26 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ultimate -AT- mweb.co.zw

Guys:

I can't make the e-mail work for Rusell. Is there a current address for him?

joec

One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
This address worked yesterday: russcaldecott@gmail.com

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Although packing rods and reels might be more trouble than it is worth, you may want to take an assortment of silver spoons in 3- to 4-inch sizes and 10-inch steel leaders (they're called "traces" in Africa). When you see the teeth on your first tigerfish you'll know why you need leaders.
Bill Quimby

That is a great idea. Those guys don't have a Bass Pro down the street to buy supplies from!

Joe, when you find one, ask him what tackle to bring and you can be assured of having sharp hooks and new "traces".

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys:

Thanks for the heads up about Russell. He seems to be the real deal for trips around Vic Falls. My wife and I are booked for a day trip around the Falls, as well as a day fishing on the Zambezi. Russell seems to have everything in order and my wife is really looking forward to the trip.

joec