New
Find
Notify
Tools

malaria - vic falls
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
traveling to joburg then vic falls for 3 days before doing a plains game safari in central namibia. is taking malaria meds for vic falls recommended? any other immunization requirements for getting in and out of zim? i have never been to zim before. the cdc seems to recommend everything for everywhere.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
butchbuck

Go to the CDC website www.cdc.com and do everything they tell you. Trying to avoid a malaria prophylaxis and a couple of shots att he risk of getting something life threatening is foolhardy.

Be safe!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of water & lots of mosquitoes there. Take the pills. You're playing with fire.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto. Take the meds. We were posted to Zimbabwe for three years, and were told to take the meds pretty much anywhere outside Harare and the eastern highlands (Mutare area).

Posts: 41 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Malaria Prophylaxis with Lariam (mefloquine), Malarone (atovaquone/proguanil), or doxycycline is recommended for all areas, except the cities of Harare and Bulawayo.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You DEFINATELY need to take anti malaria meds...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Don´t take lariam. they will give you the worst nigth dreams ever. take malarone, dos´t give you night dreams. have a happy hunting and enjoy vic falls they are superb

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larium does not bother me. I have taken it 4 different times, for as long as 2 months.

It actually mellows my dreams out... Eeker Eeker a little. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Malarone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larium sometimes makes otherwise normal people go a bit crazy. Way beyond bad dreams. Take malarone.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchbuck:
is taking malaria meds for vic falls recommended?

Yes.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
N E 450 No2

ya but we all know you an't right to begin with rotflmo rotflmo
see ya in Dallas next yr buddy

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
It all depends on if you like living or not. I was in Vic Falls lasy July and my PH, who lives in VF, said 3 on his friends had died earlier last year due to malaria. That don't sound fun to me. I'll take the pills.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1253 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken Malerone with no side effects. The lady at the travel clinic said that Larium doesn't necessarily give you nightmares. She went on to say with a smile, in fact some men in particular "really like their dreams"!

Sounds interesting.

405wcf

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Take the meds. You don't want Malaria. I've taken Larium on most of my safaris - at least 12 - and really never had a problem, and yes it can make your dreams more colorful, but not necessarily. Have also taken Doxy on a couple safaris when other meds might have accelerated Larium effects.

I almost always spend a minimum of three weeks on safari. One of the benefits on a long safari is that Larium is once per week whereas Doxy is a daily-daily.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote