New
Find
Notify
Tools

ammo boxes for flight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some 416 Rigby handloads that I put in 450/400 Factory boxes. Will this work or do I need to get plastic boxes. Going to Frankfurt with Lufthansa the to Windhoek with Air Namibia.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dye Mound , Texas | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use mtm shotgun choke cases to carry my ammo in, with the cardboard boxes the ammo came in, primarily to keep the ammo from moving around inside the duffle.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you really really need to put it in a plastic box you can lock. they usually don't check whats in the factory box's but. I put factory box's in plastic lockable box's as advised by travel agent

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not put my handloads of a particular caliber in a "factory box" of a different caliber. With the right/wrong person this little discrepancy might be enough to get your ammo confiscated. No need to take the chance!! Just put it in the plastic boxes made for ammo and mark it with the actual caliber and be done with it. Everything out there, states "factory boxes" or something else that is suitable to keep individual rounds from coming into contact with each other.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Amen. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do have some plastic Bell brass boxes and a lockable plastic ammo box that looks like the old military steel ones. So I hope this works.

Posts: 307 | Location: Dye Mound , Texas | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Use the plastic boxes you can lock or tape really good. You never know who is going to check it and i would hate to have all the work in re-loads get taken away. Good luck!!!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Handloads in MTM boxes that slide in cardboard factory original boxes of the caliber stamped on your brass. This takes (pre)planning.

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
I would not put my handloads of a particular caliber in a "factory box" of a different caliber. With the right/wrong person this little discrepancy might be enough to get your ammo confiscated. No need to take the chance!!

I wouldn't risk it either...Find out from the airline whether they want the ammo packed in a metal lockable container or will plastic be ok..Get their response in writing and print it off and take it with you when you travel.

I used the Casegard J20 series boxes to actually hold the ammo and then packed two of thse inside a cheap metal cash box of the sort you get from Wally World.

FWIW, I was travelling with Virgin, and they wouldn't accept lockable plastic boxes as they didn't consider them secure enough.

Other airlines I asked don't like metal boxes as they said it turns into a bomb in the event of a fire, so its important to check your airlines policy..if you are flying with a different feeder airline, check theirs too..

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
So let me get this straight. If I pack 80 rounds of handloaded 338WM ammo, then I need to have them in *factory* 20 round cardboard ammo boxes. So just putting the ammo into plastic MTM boxes, then inside a lockable box isn't enough? If that's the case, then I will be looking for 338WM ammo boxes.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
I need to have them in *factory* 20 round cardboard ammo boxes.

Nope, you shouldn't need to...With handloads, any box you put them is the factory original.

quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
So just putting the ammo into plastic MTM boxes, then inside a lockable box isn't enough?

That what what most folk do and everything is fine. Once in a while you hear of people running into butt-heads who work on the check-in staff and they want to see factory boxes and you have problem getting them to understand the concept of handloads...

To get around that, people have printed off lables and stuck them onto the plastic boxes to makes them look a little more "official"...This is what I did, but I honestly think 99.99% of the time you don't need to do it....

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote