Find
Notify
Tools

Qatar Airlines?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Going to Namibia September 2023 (Omatjete Safaris - Hagen Eggert). Have been to Namibia on several different routes: via Jo'Berg, Frankfurt, and Amsterdam.

Shawn at Gracy Travel suggested using Qatar Airlines. Besides being the cheapest it's also a part of the world I've never seen (even if it's only the airport.

What is Economy like on Qatar? I'm considering Business Class as I have three replaced joints and am not as spry as I once was.

Any insight about Qatar Airlines and/or Doha airport will be appreciated.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are a good airline.

Their rules are a bit different than US ones, but workable. Shawn knows them.

The business class seats are much more comfortable than economy. Business is how I used them.

The down side is that it adds some time to the trip, both in the air and on the ground, with an extra stop compared to US airlines.

Doha airport is one of the easier ones to navigate, with less of the hassle of US airports, and the lounges are big and clean.

If you are someone who has to drink alcohol, you can… contrary to the yapping about the World Cup beer ban.

It is a large airport and you may have some walking.

There are some gates on a lower level that are not very well marked, I went by the way down 2-3 times before I figured it out.

If the price is right, I will use them again.

Posts: 11023 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Matt, we have flown Qatar's business class on a couple of African routes.

We have also flown African and other international routes in business class on other highly rated airlines, including Emirates, Air France and Turkish.

I can say without hesitation that in my experience Qatar's business class seats, referred to as Q-Suites, are the best in the world.

As far as the airport is concerned, I would say that Doha/Hamad is pretty much like any other huge international airport - vast and crowded. Lots of shops, though.

We just head for the lounge, which is very nice, and stay there until our flight is called.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13651 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Mike said. I’ve flown Emirates, Etihad, BA, Air France, Turkish, and Delta to Africa and the QA Q suites are the best business seats in the air. Service, lounge in Doha, meals, etc are second to none. Last I checked a few months ago their business fares were as cheap and often cheaper than anyone else. No brainer…

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13425 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Have travelled on Qatar many times.

Very good service in Business, and the airport facilities are great.

Knocks spots off any European airline I have flown.

In fact, if at all possible, I avoid European airlines whenever their is another alternative.

Very sad really.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I,too, have flown Qatar several times, but I am not crazy about their "Q suites", plenty comfortable and very convenient if you are traveling with your wife...but I don't like flying seated backwards, which most do, just me but I don't like it. Petty, I know, but I prefer a window seat facing the way we are going. Everything else the others have posted I will second.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2906 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
QA Q suites are as good as it gets. QA is known for being on time as well.

Posts: 1819 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I think my son would like to overnight there and take some kind of a city tour. Is the Oryx Hotel okay? It seems to be reasonably priced (during non World Cup times). Suggestions for a city tour?

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
I think my son would like to overnight there and take some kind of a city tour. Is the Oryx Hotel okay? It seems to be reasonably priced (during non World Cup times). Suggestions for a city tour?

Contact Qatar airlines.

If they are like Emirates, they would have deals with tour operators and hotels.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Loved the Q Suites, the Al Mourjan Business Lounge has nice showers, and duty free had a decent selection of Scotch.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Booked the Business Class for my son and I (thru Shawn at Gracey Travel.

posted Hide Post
I booked QA Q Suites for a hunt in Botswana in 2020. It was cancelled due to Covid. One concern with QA is they do not have a process to hold your guns at the airport if you want to explore Doha for a day or so. Emirates does this via Dubai but I do not believe Doha will allow it. I'm about to rebook for June 2023 and would like to go QA if they do allow gun storage at the airport, please let me know.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I flew economy with them 1 time. I will never fly them again. I had trouble with baggage charges as 1 way they wanted to charge extra weight and the other way they wanted to charge for an extra bag. Number of bags and weight were identical both ways. Next was my request for Kosher meals which was made 90 days before the flight and confirmed the day before. On 6 legs they got it wrong every leg. On the way back, I again talk to customer service and they assured me they would get it right. My only conclusion is that if you are Muslim, no problem. If you are Jewish, they are happy to intentionally mess it up. Fuck Qatar Airlines.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flown them several times. For Christians, no food issues!
Good airline in business, no idea about coach. I flew coach for the las5 time about 5 years ago. It only costs a little more to fly nicely…

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote