THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Is a 2 hour layover in Newark enough time?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a 2 hour layover in Newark enough time?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do you guys think that a 2-hour layover in Newark before flight to Africa is enough time for luggage and guns to transfer? Coming in from Detroit. Don't want to cut it too close. Other option is 11+ hour layover.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you traveling the same airline, might work.

Hanging airlines might not work.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
If you traveling the same airline, might work.

Hanging airlines might not work.

United Airlines all the way. Newark is a hub for United so I was thinking that it could work.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Do you have to recheck your rifle in NY?

If not it should work.

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your rifle case and suitcase are checked through to your final destination (which they should), you will have plenty of time for the transfer.

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, rifle and suitcase will be checked all the way through to Johannesburg. All on United.

One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
2 hours is sufficient. Only issue being you arrive an hour or 90 minutes late. Not uncommon nowadays it seems. Just something to consider.

Posts: 261 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for three hours if possible. That will give you a little extra time for the all-too-common delays now days.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does United have the app that lets you know if your bags are on board?

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Does United have the app that lets you know if your bags are on board?

Put Apple AirTags in your luggage.

You will always know where they are.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As others have pointed out you should be fine. Two hours on return is definitely not enough. Newark is a miserable hell hole to return with firearms. Purposely slow TSA.

one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
As said above on your return you will need a lot of extra time as it is a circus returning with a firearm.

DRSS Member

Posts: 898 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swm:
As others have pointed out you should be fine. Two hours on return is definitely not enough. Newark is a miserable hell hole to return with firearms. Purposely slow TSA.

Coming back JNB to DTW through Frankfurt on Lufthansa. A little over 5 hour layover.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have traveled abroad many times and have found that 4 hours or more between flights is the minimum I/we book for. Better to have the longer time to deal with unexpected glitches. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is actually no guarantee nowadays.

In this instance, travelling on the same airline, and two hours connecting, should be fine.

Problems might arise if the first flight is delayed, and the second one leaves on time.

Then you have a major problem on your hands.

May I ask why you are using another airline back?

Personally, I don't like Lufthansa any more.

They used to be a great airline, and then they nose dived!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is actually no guarantee nowadays.

In this instance, travelling on the same airline, and two hours connecting, should be fine.

Problems might arise if the first flight is delayed, and the second one leaves on time.

Then you have a major problem on your hands.

May I ask why you are using another airline back?

Personally, I don't like Lufthansa any more.

They used to be a great airline, and then they nose dived!

It is all booked through United. For the Frankfurt return, it was considerably cheaper and just indicates that it is a United flight operated by Lufthansa. In terms of the outbound connection, I understand that United uses a Connection Saver tool to hold connecting flights when their passengers are delayed on the original United flight. To get a few hours longer connection time on 2 business class tickets would have been a fare increase of around $5,300.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I hope everything works out for you.

Have a great time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope everything works out for you.

Have a great time.

Thank you very much! It's a Law School graduation present for my son.