New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scotch at Tambo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Recommendations for a decent scotch to purchase at the duty free store.
Thanks in advance.

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Jameson Caskmate, Redbreast, Crested Ten, Powers Gold Label,1780,Midleton. Marvelous Irish whiskeys.

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to buy a bottle of Jameson recently in the Big Five but the young guy working the floor talked me into some Glen Grant, haven't tried it yet but he assured me I would like it if I like Jameson. We will see

Posts: 1019 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gale Johnson:
I was going to buy a bottle of Jameson recently in the Big Five but the young guy working the floor talked me into some Glen Grant, haven't tried it yet but he assured me I would like it if I like Jameson. We will see

Glen Grant is actually quite good. Monkey Shoulder is another good, and inexpensive, dram they have that you can pickup a bottle of an not feel bad leaving the leftover with your PH.

Having said that, if this is to bring home, most of the scotch there you can get here for about the same price - not worth it in my opinion to haul home. The one exception to that is Bain’s Single Grain Whiskey. A fellow on AR recommended to me, it’s from South Africa, and I haven’t found it locally. It’s quite good, has a unique flavor profile, not peaty but not the same sweetness of a Speyside scotch either. Inexpensive too, about $25 USD for a liter.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
It’s interesting that the poster asked for scotch recommendations and most posts talk about Irish Whiskey. Is reading becoming a lost skill?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13431 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
It’s interesting that the poster asked for scotch recommendations and most posts talk about Irish Whiskey. Is reading becoming a lost skill?[/quote]

Usually someone end up posting and animal they harvested!!!..............LOL

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jameson’s is a very good WhiskEy made just outside Cork in Southern Ireland.

For it to be Scotch Whisky it has to be made in Scotland and laid down for a minimum of 3 years. Monkey Shoulder is a blend so in my mind no different to Bells, Grouse or Johnny Walker - good for export.

Single Malts are all a matter of taste - they are all very different. Most duty frees have the opportunity to sample. Choose one you like.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
quote:
Originally posted by Gale Johnson:

Glen Grant is actually quite good. Monkey Shoulder is another good, and inexpensive, dram they have that you can pickup a bottle of an not feel bad leaving the leftover with your PH.

Having said that, if this is to bring home, most of the scotch there you can get here for about the same price - not worth it in my opinion to haul home. The one exception to that is Bain’s Single Grain Whiskey. A fellow on AR recommended to me, it’s from South Africa, and I haven’t found it locally. It’s quite good, has a unique flavor profile, not peaty but not the same sweetness of a Speyside scotch either. Inexpensive too, about $25 USD for a liter.

Sevens:

Hope that was me that turned you on to Baines Cape Mountain Whiskey. Granted it is NOT a Scotch that the OP was asking about BUT, is is made in RSA and has won a boat load of International awards. It only has limited availability in the US BUT, is available here in Florida. Just bought another case from Luekens Liquors.

Grants (Scotch) red and green label are available in FL too but NOT the black label. They used to have the black label in TOR Tambo. If you can get that one it is very fine. Grants Red is my "regular" sipper and the Baines is for "special occasions" and sharing with special friends......I am fortunate to have a lot of those! dancing

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Gusteaux, it may have been you who did turn me on to Bain’s. I have not found it locally here in Texas, but glad to see that is not true in all the US. Since I can’t get it locally, I felt it was the best item to bring home.

Also, Grants and Glen Grant are two different distilleries. Grants is a blended whiskey. Glen Grant is a single malt that comes with an age statement. They used to have a really good 10 year that could be had for about $35 here. That seems to have been phased out, at least locally, in favor of the 12 year as their entry level.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Johnnie Walker Blue...hands down the finest I have ever tasted.

Talk to people in the industry, they will tell you the whole single malt campaign has been one of the world's great consumer marketing ploys.

Single malt is the equivalent of saying estate bottled for a wine and is irrelevant. It's all about taste.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sevens:

Thanks for the clarification on Grants vs Glenn Grants. My brain didn't make the distinction. BUT, if someone can get Grants Black Label in the US try it. Only place we've found it was OR Tambo and Edinburgh Scotland last year.

One of the things we like to do when we travel, is find "adult beverages" in that country that aren't commercially exported and bring back a few bottles if it's good stuff. Not sure why someone would buy something overseas that is generally available at home unless they just want what is familiar. Second, we VERY rarely find any "good deals" in airport duty free especially on alcohols we can generally get at home. We will pay for something (like Grants Black) in OR Tambo and bring back.

In Scotland this past New Years we brought back a suit case full of various high end scotches that were not commercially exported. Best part was we were able to sample them in the shops before purchasing. Same in OZ this Aug. Brought back a bunch of rum that is not commercially exported. Didn't bring back a lot as all booze there is taxed through the roof.

We enjoy occasionally having "a dram" or two of the special liquid "trophies" every now and then to bring back memories just like looking at pictures, mounts and rugs.

Mike - what you said about "single malt" was exactly what we were repeatedly told in every tasting tour we did in Edinburgh this year. The grains can only be germinated once and toasted. The length of the toasting (darkness) is what creates the "smokiness" and the location the peat comes from influences the "notes" as well as the casks used and locations for the aging. Then there are the "blended" and single casks etc. The "smokier" ones generally come from the "lowlands" due to the quantity of peat available and the less smokey more floral ones come from the highlands due to the "heather". Could spend a lifetime just traveling Scotland sampling them all and still miss a few.

Other thing that was interesting was how many of the "big name" distilleries actually contract out to smaller labels.

In any case - pull a cork, sip and enjoy!!

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of points:-

[LIST] Grants is a family firm (albeit a very large and hugely profitable family firm) that owns a number of distilleries and the largest selling single malt - Glenfiddich.

• Its quite true that to a very large extent the massive recent success of single malt sales is a marketing exercise - however single malts tend to be more individualistic than blends - ultimately its about taste - drink what you like!!

• Peating - smokiness comes from the percentage of peat smoke dried malt used in the fermentation. Most malt is steam dried on a ventilated malting floor but a percentage in every fermentation is dried with peat smoke - its the percentage of peat smoke in the mix that determines the smokiness of the end product - this is measureable in ppm. Pretty much all heavily peated malts come of the islands - Lagavulin, Laphroig, Talisker, etc. Lowland malts are not usually heavily peated.

• I'd highly recommend a distillery tour (or three...) - well worth the usually very small amount of money spent and giving you a better insight of whisky. Mind you, you need a will of steel to come away without a bottle or two....
  •  
    Posts: 200 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Mike_Dettorre
    posted Hide Post
    In 2000, I did a technology consulting project project for Diageo (2nd or 3rd largest spirits company in the world) who owns 12 or so single malts.

I was fortunate enough to taste them all plus the Johnnie Walker line over about a month and enjoyed JW Blue the best.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
    1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
    2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
    3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
    4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
    5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
    6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
    7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
    8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
    9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
    10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
    11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
    12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
    13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Mike:

I was very fortunate to have a friend give me a bottle of JW Blue. I agree 100% is was very, very fine. Unfortunately, at that price point, it's a little out of my league.

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    We bought a lot of Scotch in Tambo in August. They have some Balvenie Triple Woods that I have not seen in the states, but in general they were no better than the Double Woods or Sherry Casks you can buy here.

Jura Paps is one we had that was exceptional and I’ve never seen that here. I recommend highly.

Use enough gun...
    Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Slider
    posted Hide Post
    TrademarkTexan Which one do you recommend?
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/search?q=Jura+Paps

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Experimenting with different Scotch whisky is kind of interesting and fun for me. My everyday scotch is Famous Grouse. I've noticed recently they've changed the label from naming the whiskys used in their blend. MacCallan 12 yr. is my favorite go to but once in a while I wander off that path. Sometimes it's really challenging such as with Lagavulin or Bunnehabin. Some of those sit around in the locker a long time. Last year when we were in Africa I found most of the camps had Bell's which was ok with me. Scotch is for sipping, not gulping. Earlier this week we pulled the trigger and sent in a deposit to volunteer at a Pangolin rescue ranch in Namibia so I'll get a chance to see what kind of whisky is available there.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Slider:
    TrademarkTexan Which one do you recommend?
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/search?q=Jura+Paps

I don’t see The Paps there but this one looks similar https://www.thewhiskyexchange....+%2f+Red+Wine+Finish

Use enough gun...

One of Us
    Picture of Slider
    posted Hide Post

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Yes, that’s the one. Jura had several that appeared to be travel exclusives, but I like sherry finishes, and this was really good.

Use enough gun...

One of Us
    Picture of Labman
    posted Hide Post
    Nothing about scotch but I found the price of Amarula to be much better at the Joberg airport duty free shop than prices stateside. My credit card bill was $11.60 for a full liter. I'm sure the exchange rate helped.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of SIKA98K
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jdollar:
    It’s interesting that the poster asked for scotch recommendations and most posts talk about Irish Whiskey. Is reading becoming a lost skill?

Irish whiskey is much better. Biased ? Me ? Not at all.

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote