THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    SAA Carry-on weight restriction

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAA Carry-on weight restriction
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got off the phone with a friend who called from the tarmac in the US on his way to Jo'berg. Seems SAA has instituted a weight restriction for carry-on bags of 8 KG, which is about 17.5 pounds. His carry-on weighed 22 pounds (10 KG), so it was taken from him and checked at the gate prior to boarding.

I've never had them weigh my carry-on, and would be incredibly upset to give my optics, cameras, etc., to the baggage monkeys. Apparently they just started weighing all carry-on a month or so ago. Another reason to avoid SAA I suppose, but would not be surprised if other airlines follow suit.

Either stuff heavy items in your pockets before boarding (grin), or plan on a lighter carry-on bag when flying SAA.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Another reason to fly Delta. I know that opinions will vary here on this very inflammatory issue (Delta vs. SAA), but we flew Delta non-stop last month for the first time in 8 safaris and it was very pleasant. We weren't hassled about weight restrictions with our carry ons, either going or coming home; you can carry on two items (i.e. your regular carry on bag and another smaller bag or item); they provide you with your U.S. firearms declaration tag in Jo-burg at check in, so you don't have to hassle with that issue upon arrival; and, the 777 is a great plane to fly on. I have been hassled about carry on weight every time that I have ever flown SAA, and I have ended up paying big bucks for excess weight, in order to still take it as carry on (nothing but a bribe in my book), or I have had the locked carry on checked and then still been robbed of my cameras, etc. by the SAA thieves). If you fly SAA, make sure that if they make you check your carry on that you take all of your valuables out and take them with you on the plane, even if it's in a plastic bag, or stuffing your pockets, as llamapacker suggests. Just my experience and advice for the two cents that it's worth to any of you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew SAA on July 14 and back on the 30th. No hassles about carry on weight. My rucksack would have killed a normal human! and I had a camera bag. All kidding aside, it wasnt an issue then. It may have changed as airline regs change like my socks.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
We got nailed in Jo-berg twice and once in Capetown last April. There is another post on here where Walter put a rock under the scale. yuck

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
We flew SAA on Aug. 4th from JoBurg to East London and return to JoBurg on Aug. 12th without any problems.

They certainly would have nailed me with my portable office I'm forced to carry!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a little hint...

Wear one of those phtotgraphers vests with a lot of big pockets.

Then before you get on the plane, take all the heavy stuff out of your carry on.

But your binos around our neck. put your flashlights, cameras, extra batteries, etc. in your vest.

Once you get on the plane, put the stuff back in your carryon and enjppy the flight.

Of course, when you do "all that", then they do n ot weigh your bag....

But that is OK too. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one more way for them to gouge you.

Many years ago, when confronted with the demand for outrageous bucks for overwieght luggage out of Alaska, I successfully waddled to my seat with 120lbs of pitons and carabiners in a sturdy nylon bag slung over my shoulders after some hasty repacking. The good ole'days!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
did you rattle?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
If you flew on SAA 15 years ago, you wouldn't recognize it as the same airlines today. 747 Jumbo Jets, non-stop flights, Service that was second to none. Ten years later it was so bad we swore off them after flying the route at least once a year for each of those 10 years. Business class was exceptional and went to something only a step above coach.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I hate to tell you, but I have seen signs at several European airlines desks that says:

"Economy Class Passengers: 1 carry on bag, maximum weight 7Kgs."

"First and Business Class passengers: 2 carry on bags, maximum weight 7Kgs each"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67049 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea a laptop, sat phone, 2 cameras, Binos, Cell you are there.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quantas weighed all the carry ons when I went to Australia for a buf hunt 3 weeks ago. I pulled out all my optics and cameras and lightweight jacket. I put everything I could in my pockets that I could and made the weight limit. It actually had to fit in the size requirements as well. When I got on board I reloaded the carryon, my backpack and put it in the overhead. I had 5 legs on the trip, they checked weight on 4 of the 5!

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
They are pretty stringent with their carry on weight limit of 7kgs now but they often tell you just to separate some so the one bag does not weigh so much.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Rest of the World!

Not sure why exactly, but flights to or from North America always had very generous luggage and carry on allowences.

The rest of us had always had make do with between 6kg and 8kg hand luggage and approx 22kg your stuff went in the hold..

The biggest variation between company's now seems to be that some include the rifle and case in the allowence (not good!) and with some its not weighed...

More than ever check the small print as excess luggage costs on a long flight can be very costly...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LionHunter: Amen! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:

What not just leave all that crap at home and get away from civilization for your hunt?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:

What not just leave all that crap at home and get away from civilization for your hunt?

465H&H

Sorry guys, I just realized that I am starting to sound like Will!!!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the laptop has no internet connection I use to record my daily log of the hunt via video camera, the binos - self explanatory, the cameras to record the hunt. The sat is giving into my office so I can go and do what I want. I find this to be a small price for the enjoyment I get.

Sound like Will, I guess so but good or bad that is up to you, eh. Smiler

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote