THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    No more white pilots on SAA ???

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No more white pilots on SAA ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good for them! Sue the f'ing bastards!

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. Imagine that, your pilot has been chosen because of the colour of his skin and not on merit. That should make you feel safe up there above the Atlantic. Eeker

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell I'm flying out of the dirtiest airport in the US on Sept 2 with them. Oh well gotta die of something, and there's always heaven, right?

Our country hasn't collapsed yet and we follow the same principle in all matters from education to jobs, to contracts.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
this does not surprise me in the least. i would swim to SA before i would fly there with SAA.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13425 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
When I came out of the Navy in 1991 and was interviewing for a job as an airline pilot, there was one good ole UNITED States of America company that you didn't stand a chance of getting hired at unless you were a minority or possibly if you had 10,000+ hours of Pilot in Command. Most military pilots leave the service with between 2,000 hours (Fighters) to 4,000 (Transport). That's been going on here in the UNITED States for a couple of decades now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

UNITED lost a law suit with the EEOC in 1988 and was under a court order to increase it's number of minority pilots. That lasted for about 4 years.

The average new hire class at united in the mid 90's through today is general very indicative of the U.S. population. In a class of ten there are generally mostly white males a female or two and a minority or two.

Anything that you've heard contrary to that is urban legend generally perpetuated by guys who blew the interview. In fact the guys who do get preferential treatment are FIGHTER pilots who get an hourly handicap in the computer system because the poor babies don't get enough flight time so UAL changed their computer program to give fighter guys two for one on their total time so that they are competitive with these kids now days who have thousands and thousands of hours of jet time at the regionals.

When I got hired at UAL in the 90's my class had 21 guys in it no women and one minority who just happened to be a single seat fighter guy. About half the guys were military the other half civilian and the class before mine was pretty close as was the one after that.

Whether you want to believe it or not. That's the way it is.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Todd,

UNITED lost a law suit with the EEOC in 1988 and was under a court order to increase it's number of minority pilots. That lasted for about 4 years.

The average new hire class at united in the mid 90's through today is general very indicative of the U.S. population. In a class of ten there are generally mostly white males a female or two and a minority or two.

Anything that you've heard contrary to that is urban legend generally perpetuated by guys who blew the interview. In fact the guys who do get preferential treatment are FIGHTER pilots who get an hourly handicap in the computer system because the poor babies don't get enough flight time so UAL changed their computer program to give fighter guys two for one on their total time so that they are competitive with these kids now days who have thousands and thousands of hours of jet time at the regionals.

When I got hired at UAL in the 90's my class had 21 guys in it no women and one minority who just happened to be a single seat fighter guy. About half the guys were military the other half civilian and the class before mine was pretty close as was the one after that.

Whether you want to believe it or not. That's the way it is.

I know all about the lawsuit. I did say "when I left the military and was looking to get hired" which was 91. So that fit the time period I was talking about.

But hey, don't feel bad, we had some real winners at AA also. I was an Engineer Check Airman for 4 years when we started hiring again around 98. Although we didn't have an acknowledged mandate to take certain people based on race or sex, AA attempted, at least in the first 6 months of hiring, to make diversity a priority over qualifications. It really showed in the completion rate of those first new hires. It got better after that however.

Bottom line for me is that I don't think affirmative action should be applied anywhere that safety is a concern whether it be at your company or mine.

beer

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
affirmative action is just another way of saying reverse discrimination. nothing more- nothing less.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
affirmative action is just another way of saying reverse discrimination. nothing more- nothing less.

Yep. Agree 100%.

But there are situations in which it can be downright dangerous such as putting a person who isn't actually qualified in a postion of ensuring other's safety, based solely on that person's minority status.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I think that's what some of the Courts have agreed to label it as well. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bottom line for me is that I don't think affirmative action should be applied anywhere that safety is a concern whether it be at your company or mine.

I agree.

I was a school house guy for 6 years. I've seen some examples of the EEOC hiring period that would shock and amaze you.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

I don't think affirmative action should be applied anywhere, regardless if safety is a concern or not.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

I don't think affirmative action should be applied anywhere, regardless if safety is a concern or not.

I agree with that as well but was putting a fine point on the practice where safety is concerned.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

I agree.

I was a school house guy for 6 years. I've seen some examples of the EEOC hiring period that would shock and amaze you.

I have a feeling you and I could shock each other with these types of stories. Just a brief one here. Two identical twin brothers, minority status, hired in the same class, emp # 1 digit different, same address, phone #, previous company, etc. You get the drift. Worked with both through the new hire process from Oral Exams, Simulator Sessions, and Initial Operating Experience. One was great. I doubt the other had actually operated an aircraft before. On the IOE which is a 3 day trip, my guy couldn't do a single thing correctly. At the end of day two, I called the supervisor and advised that there was absolutely no way he would pass the final leg the following day. Well, the following day, he was PERFECT. Knew things I hadn't shown him yet. Which one do you think I trained on the previous 2 days and which one do you think I checked on day 3? Eeker

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i could give you specific examples of minority students socially promoted through med school with me in the 70's that would scare the shit out of you. these guys degree on graduation was the same as mine- M.D..... DISCRIMINATION IN ANY FROM-FORWARD OR REVERSE- IS BLATANTLY WRONG!!!!!!

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
While not a safety issue, the same thing happened in "major metropolitan communications companies" during the late 70's early 80's.

Just sayin........

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does this make you feel, fellow flyers:

Several years ago, a friends son was hired as
an air traffic controller...one night some students and instructors were communing with
each other over an adult beverage when this subject(minority hiring) came up...after several
minutes, the senior instructor told the group that at least 50% of the minorities who GRADUATED were totally unqualified to do so...his other instructor buddies picked him, carried him out and he was not seen again....makes you feel real good doesn't it?

Having been the precipitant of several of their
"errors
', and living through them, it didn't feel good to me. Let's just say that when we heard "that" voice on the air, we paid real close attention to what it was saying.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey I'm still a proud American, but the pile of facts I have to ignore is getting noticeable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats one reason I am flying Delta

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
i could give you specific examples of minority students socially promoted through med school with me in the 70's that would scare the shit out of you. these guys degree on graduation was the same as mine- M.D..... DISCRIMINATION IN ANY FROM-FORWARD OR REVERSE- IS BLATANTLY WRONG!!!!!!

Fortunately though, in order to practice medicine most states also require passing scores on things like the National Boards, FLEX, the ECFMG, etc. No matter what color they are, if they don't at least know something, they won't get by those.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote