THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Check your Zimbabwe Visa dates closely!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check your Zimbabwe Visa dates closely!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
As I got ready to leave Zimbabwe for home on 16 August, I noticed that my Visa had in fact expired the day before. I know I had specified 17 days for my Visa when asked by the immigration official, but the Visa he gave me was good only for 16. Wondering how big a deal this might be, I pointed the situation out to Giles, my Cessna pilot. Giles informed me that it was a big deal, the dates would be checked closely by Zimbabwe immigration, and it would probably end up costing me $100 for staying past my approved dates. Giles also let me know that this was a recent scam being used by Zim officals to extort more money from travellers as most do not check their Visa dates. His advice in the future was always to ask for a 30 day Visa, regardless of the the length of the hunt. Anyway, Giles advised me to stay silent on the issue as he tried to get me through the immigration process without paying a fine. As Giles chatted up the Govt official in perfect Shona, my passport was signed and stamped with no questions asked. I got lucky this time, but you can make sure I will check the dates closely on my next safari. I suggest you all do the same!

Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Someone on here last year had the same thing happen to him, good to know.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, at least they let you come back home, whether you wanted to or not! Hope you had a great trip.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Asking for a 30 day visa should be standard with all hunters, just to avoid this dumbassed issue.

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Asking for a 30 day visa should be standard with all hunters, just to avoid this dumbassed issue.

And to allow for any unforeseen happenings that require a longer than planned stay - broken down vehicle, illness, or accident for example.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good point!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't relax until your in camp, watch everything not only visas but also watch the airline people and double check every bag tag to make sure they are set to go to each airport and especially the final one. I caught this one on my last trip when they tried to put my wife's name on my gun case going through amsterdam on the way to Tanzania. (see amsterdam gun permits).

Trust no one. OR Trust but verify.