THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Comparison between Delta and SA airlines

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comparison between Delta and SA airlines
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've traveled with SAA four times from US to JoBurg in past five years. I know it's weaknesses and strengths, what I would like to compare between the airlines are two things.
1. Food service, and food quality comparison.
2. The personal entertainment on SAA is very good, is Delta's flight entertainment as good?

Thanks, Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we did the delta flight last sept. Probably an unfair comparison because we flew business class, but the comparison between delta and saa in my opinion is that delta wants the business badly and the flight compared to the SAA of yesteryear

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spent the last 10 years travelling the world on business. I am spoiled by Business Class. However, I have noticed the no particular airline has a "lock" on service outside of Singapore Airlines. I prefer BA, AA and Luftansa (due to being on time most of the time). I fly Delta to Moscow and in the US. I have had dramatically different experiences on the same flight taken two weeks apart. My two experiences on SAA were fine. The worst was Kaz Air (Kazakhstan Airways). Aeroflot is ok.

My best "read" on this is that you usually get treated how you treat the hostesses. Treat them nice, say please and thank you, do not harass them and you get treated very well. The inflight entertainment systems are hit and miss. I bring my own and do not rely on the airlines. They are cheap, can be rented and if you lose one it is no big deal. Do not expect special treatment because you are not special unless flying first class or are a regular business class customer. The major airlines track their customers very well and go the extra mile to help the business traveller paying full fair for 20 international flights a year. You are a "butt in a seat" when flying coach. No more no less.

Food is hit or miss, but you will not get poisoned as a rule. Drinks are drinks.

I try to manage my trips around the particular airports. I avoid Chicago, New York in the winter and avoid Dallas and Atlanta in the summer due to weather issues. I find Schipol confusing, but it works. I avoid London if possible, however Manchester is great. I like Frankfurt Main the best - efficient, clean, easy to navigate. Moscow is ok depending on the airport (there are 5 there). I avoid Milano and Rome.

All in all, there are no secrets about travel or "travel deals". Use an agent for complicated trips that knows the various airports. Be prepared for delays and have a plan "B" with some idea of alternate flight schedules. If you are delayed, get/buy access to a lounge. Your business class ticket gives you free access.

Have contact phone numbers and have your cell phone card adjusted to an international card in case you really get jammed up.

On vacations, go a day early to be able to rest and to manage delays. It will happen to you sooner or later.

Good luck...

Posts: 10208 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote