THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Hassle free trip to Zimbabwe and back

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hassle free trip to Zimbabwe and back
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently returned from a late season safari to the Dande North Safari Area in northeastern Zimbabwe with Charlton McCallum Safaris (Nov. 30 through Dec. 13)traveling from DFW through Dulles, to Joberg and ending in Harare. We drove from Harare to the concession, some seven hours cross-country over the escarpment and dropping into the Zambezi Valley. I flew United and then SAA over and back, with the travel arrangements made through Gracy Travel for the eleventh time.

All aspects of the trip over and back went as planned with no significant hassles, security, TSA or otherwise. Before departing, I even had to get a last minute US Customs and Border Patrol form 4457 at the DFW location and they were time-efficient and professional. I was taking a new double rifle and hadn't yet found the time to obtain the form until the evening prior to departure. That office at the terminal is open until 9:00 PM which might be of interest to some safari travelers.

For those on this forum who seem to regularly inquire about the safety of travel to Zimbabwe, I wanted to report this problem free trip which included a total of 14 hours of cross-country land travel through some of the formerly confiscated farming country, small towns, and many, many local villages.

Zimbabwe is a wonderful country with a rich history of hunting tradition. I find that the safari companies and PH's in Zim are particularly flexible and determined to provide whatever safari experience is desired. In my case, I enjoy elephant hunting at this point and was fortunate to take another four tuskless cows on this trip.

I will report that the security measures were marginally increased in Joberg for the return flight to the USA, but nothing overbearing -- a quick personal pat down. The only marked increase was one TSA agent in Dulles who required everything in every pocket to be run through the conveyor belt, even credit cards, business cards, soft earplugs, ball point pens, and so on. This was different, but no great hassle. I attributed it more to this agent being a jerk than a new measure, but others may disagree.

Not news to anyone on this forum, but it is important to have the Customs form 4457 upon your return to the USA with your firearms. It also helps in foreign countries as the form is almost treated as an international firearms license, which it is not.

My ammo (50 rounds of .500 NE) was packed in a separate plastic container and placed in my duffle bag, separate from my gun case. As a test, I simply tied a string around the plastic container to make sure it did not open and spill my rounds into my bag. As a safety measure, I also placed an empty, small pelican case in my rolling duffle, with both a TSA and non-TSA lock, just in case I had a requirement to "lock" my ammo. My bag was searched, the string was untied, and simply re-tied (not in a square knot I might add), but no requirement was made to lock my ammo, either leaving or returning to the USA.

Gracy provided the Zimbabwe firearms import license form which does not appear to have changed since 2004, and I completed the three copies needed (and one unsigned spare in case a new wet signature was required) and presented these forms to the Zim officer/clerk upon retrieving my duffle and firearms case at arrival in Zim. I was questioned about my rifle serial number, which I have memorized, and the officer signed my entry form without checking my rifle, trusting that my memory was correct. Thus, I went through Zim entry customs in less than one minute with a firearm and ammo (they asked me how many rounds I had with me). I was out the front door of the Harare airport and into the vehicle with Buzz Charlton in under five minutes from going through customs and we were on our way.

Interestingly, the SAA pilot, upon landing, made a most unusual comment to all passengers. "To those of you driving in Harare, please be careful because the streets are really dark." I mentioned this to Buzz and we figured it was a reference to the street lights being turned off to save electricity cost, but that was a first for me to hear that type of directive/warning from an airline pilot.

We went through numerous roadblocks/checkpoints in our trek to and from the Valley and we never once had a single hassle. The officers were cheery and caused no problems or delays. We stopped at grocery stores, feed stores, small shops, government buildings, the game department and the offices of the tribal council, all with minimal delays and no problems. All of the ground travel was not much different from traveling across New Mexico. The roads were good except for one stretch, and when the blacktop ended near the escarpment, the unpaved roads were descent until the rains began, but we still managed.

I travel light, and recommend this manner to those going on safari. I take a back pack as a carry-on, then one rolling duffle and one gun case, usually containing only one double rifle. Both checked bags were under 50 pounds. I keep my satellite phone, cameras, GPS, Ipod and so on with me in my back pack and no "valuables" in the rolling duffle. My ammo belt, knives, chargers and the like go into my gun case. This system has worked for me on many safaris without any problems.

Overall, I could not imagine a less problematic overseas hunting trip than going this route to Zim. I was obviously traveling at an off-peak time for the hunting business, and I only saw one other hunter in Joberg (from Idaho), but for those first-time or less frequent safari travelers who are concerned about travel to or ground travel in Zimbabwe, I wanted to relate my most recent experience to offer first hand information that someone might find helpful or useful. I do not think my experience is different from many others of you who travel these paths as well. Finally, we hit several eating establishments in Harare and the experience was nothing short of delightful in all respects. I will stress that it is extremely important to hunt and travel with top professionals such as Charlton McCallum Safaris and Gracy Travel. Experience and professionalism matter in most all aspects of life. African travel and hunting are not exceptions.

The safari business is always changing. If you are thinking about going on safari -- by all means go. Think about it later in life.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kelly,

This has also been my client's expereince and my expereince in traveling to, from and in Zimbabwe. Use a travel agent familiar with African travel with guns and relax.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12877 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good news!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kelly Gill:
The only marked increase was one TSA agent in Dulles who required everything in every pocket to be run through the conveyor belt, even credit cards, business cards, soft earplugs, ball point pens, and so on.

I dare say a few on here would have cried for days about 'invasion of privacy' and 'this just ruined my trip'.
The last several years have changed both in the US and abroad. Just have to have a little more patience is all.
Good to hear your travels were safe and no major hangups.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea: your experience matches ours over the past several years: No problems at all.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Kelly, good information, thanks.

So, what's the new rifle and what did you shoot with it?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took delivery on a new Heym .500 NE 3" in 2009, with 26" barrels and was shooting it with the same handloads that I have so successfully used for elephant in my William Evans .500. I was shooting Woodleigh 570 grain solids that give really good, straight line penetration and smash through elephant bone well. I killed four tuskless cows on this hunt, all after considerable tracking in the December heat. Buzz and I have taken many elephant together and this was another great hunt.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a succesful hunt. If that new Heym means you are ready to sell me the Evans please let me know Big Grin

Posts: 1309 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of archer_375
posted Hide Post
Great info...Thanks Kelly...Looking at a Buff/Leopard for Zim in 2011 myself...Very timely reporting...Thank you.

Posts: 183 | Location: Where the deer and antelope play | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With Quote