THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Check in at Dulles / Turkish with Guns

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check in at Dulles / Turkish with Guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
Just thought I’d give everyone an update in case you’re flying Turkish out of Dulles..

Check in with Turkish took about 35 min (I was the only person in the business class line).. The supervisor actually called all his agents over and basically held a training class.. Went very smooth - the agents were great!

Then as usual, carried my gun case and luggage to TSA for inspection and that took 5 min, they did not even open the guncase, just ran it thru the machine.

What was cool was the TSA lady agent turned out to be VERY pro hunting and we talked for over 30 min LOL! She talked all about the value of hunting in Africa and what it brings to the local communities..

As always - I have never had a single issue when flying out of Dulles with firearms to any destination and that still holds true!

Looking forward to a private suite at the Turkish lounge in Istanbul for my 10 hr layover - hoping one is available!!!

And.. they have an Omega watch store in the Istanbul airport and I’ve been looking at the Bond007 special edition watch :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the suite at Istanbul. I passed through there last August with 9 1/2 layover in each direction. No suites available. They do have really nice shopping there but the lounge doesn’t have a bar, only a help yourself wine and beer cart. Food choices in the lounge are very good.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
So an update.. I got to the Turkish lounge (which is very nice) but was told I could not have a private suite.. The requirements are you must have a layover between 4 and 9 hours - mine was 9 hours and 23 min so I could not have a suite!!! I was like “are you serious??”

I said fuck it, walked down to the YotelAir, paid for a room and was done with it.. Kinda of expensive for 9 hours but I took a shower and had a 4 hour nap…

I did walk around and do some shopping :-) Turkish linen shirts are the best so I bought a few.. Stopped in the Omega watch store - I want to buy the 60th Anniversary 007 edition Titanium Seamaster (its awesome and I’m a Bond fan) LOL! They had the watch but with the lousy exchange rate (thanks Brandon) and having to pay duty, it will be cheaper to buy in the US..

Now I’m sitting at Africa Sky, drinking a cold Castle and eating some lunch..

Flights were excellent, Turkish business class is nice - its not Emirates but still very nice.. Guns were no problem at all. Gracy travel met me as I walked off the plane, walked me thru the VIP line for immigration and Gilbert from Africa Sky was waiting with his usual, wonderful smile with my permit. 5 minutes in SAPS and we were outta there :-)

Now a full day to relax and fly to Kasane on Sunday!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have used Turkish Airlines for travel to Europe, Asia and Africa and have been pleased with their Business Class. Not up to the luxury standards of some but usually a more reasonable option and handle guns without the hassle of other airlines... the new airport outside of Istanbul is a huge upgrade over the old one and is a major hub to most continents.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote