New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloads into SA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any body have any recent experience with taking reloads boxed up in the plastic cases, nice and neat with an "official" looking printed info sticker on the outside into SA? My son will be using factory Federals in his 375 H&H but mine are 338-06 reloads and I'm putting them in the plastic ammo cases. All will then go into a yellow Pelican case, locked, with foam padding to keep them from moving around.
I had no trouble whatsoever taking the same sort of packaging into Zambia last year, but as all of you know, SA is the WORST place to bring the guns/ammo into.

Thanks.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Reloads are not a problem, but if you mean you're planning to put the two lots of ammo into the same case, that will be a problem if the ammo weighs more than 5 kgs.

Airlines permit a maximum ammo weight of 5 Kgs per passenger, but you're not allowed to pool that into one case carrying 10 Kgs etc. (For the obvious reason). It MUST be two separate cases, and technically, they each need to be checked in under the owners name.

You might also like to consider making your life considerably easier by taking advantage of this: http://forums.accuratereloadin...2100588/m/9421057901

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Steve. I am taking 60 rounds apiece and all inclusive it weighs in at 10# or just under the 5 kilo limit. I saw the offer from the gent on your link AFTER I had been given Henry's name at Riflepermits.com. Some aquaintances of mine have used him a couple of times and were very pleased. Thanks, again, for the response.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Went on MAY 23RD. Returned June 5. Ammo was packed in plastic boxes with nifty self-printed labels.

Plastic boxes packed in steel box inside a plastic two pistol case. Used a TSA lock on the outside. Made an "empty weight" plate that was pop-riveted just under the handle and readable on the outside. Total weight - 21 pounds. Net weight - 10 pounds.

No problems coming or going.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike. It has just been a couple of years since I've had to go thru Jo'berg with ammo/guns and was curious how things are now. 60 rounds, each, of 375 and 338 in a pelican case weigh exactly 10.5 pounds...under the 5 K limit.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Slip the plastic csses into cardboard sleeves/boxes from any factory loading (for each caliber). Might have to check for fit well beforehand...

Posts: 4855 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have friends who have just returned from hunting there.

I loaded their ammo, and put them in MTM plastic boxes, with printed labels.

No problems whatsoever.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed....precisely what I did. Thanks for the post.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just back from Zim via Joburg/bulawayo. Had my reloads packed as you suggested, in the Nosler Custom plastic boxes reloads of 338-06 and 375 H&H, preweighed at 11 lbs and no problem at all other than both my rifle/bag were four days late arriving in camp in Zim! Driving rain storm at Dulles and had to run to SAA to catch flight myself. Sat on tarmac for 2 1/2 hours while the bags sat unoaded. SAA did get its "on time" departure from the gate.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 weeks ago they didn't even look at our ammo. They just checked the serial numbers on the guns and sent us on our way. Very easy.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote