Find
Notify
Tools

Souvenirs in Jo-Burg
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted
I'll be spending two days in Jo-Burg prior to this year's hunt and need to pick up some stuff for SA friends here in Korea. Mostly African house decorations; a big drum, some masks, etc. I will be shipping them back to Korea, but don't know where to go in Jo-Burg (they are all from different cities); any ideas?

Colin

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of bwanajim
posted Hide Post
This past September Louis Bekker (of the Afton House) drove me and the wife to a place called Cambanos & Sons in Jo'burg. It's a diamond wholesaler, jewelry maker and African craft store and it has a lot of African themed household items. There was also a department in the back making artistic animal hide rugs.

I’m not sure if you have to make an appointment or not but Louis didn’t spend too much time at the gate before they let us in.

And they have a lot of jewelry. Yep - took the wife inside a jewelry shop. Good grief!

Jim
NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Member
http://www.brewersafrica.com

Posts: 12 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 15 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where will you be hunting? If you are heading up north their is a great place off the N1 called Gemco that is awesome. Hunter friendly, great selection, and fair pricing. I have used them several times and never had a problem. They even delivered items to my taxidermist and had it out in the same crate with hides and horns for me to save on shipping for the larger items.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be going through Polokwane on the way home, but prefer to get everything taken care of in Jo-Burg before setting out.

Normally I arrive in Polokwane, but we are starting in the FreeState this year and then moving to Polokwane.

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you're staying at the afton house luis will get you taken care of

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I'll be staying just outside of town with family of friends. It would be much easier if I was at the Afton House, perhaps I'll email them and see if they'll point me in the right direction.

Afton came through with a reccomenation; Bruma Lake Flea Market.

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
Gemco! is the best place in the northern districkt regarding suvenirs+++++all of my clients use this place Wink

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bwanajim is correct Cambanos & Sons is excellent they have a lot of stuff and the prices are good.

Todd

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bruma Lake had what I was looking for, but overall it wasn't anything to brag about.

We stopped at Gemco on the way north and I would advise anyone who has a choice to skip Bruma Lake and just use Gemco.

Bruma Lake did have more tourist junk like t-shirts and other items though.

I'll post a hunt report tomorrow with pictures, I just got home a few hours ago from my marathon 35 hour total trip from lodge in Limpopo to apartment in Korea.

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope your hunt was successful and enjoyable. Glad Gemco worked out for you. They really have a great selection of truly African items and are hunter friendly.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a huge flea market at Hartebeestport north of Joburg every weekend. Everything in the way of decoration is there if you have the time to look and dicker.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Two things I'd suggest and you can get them at the Jo'Burg Airport.

First, get one of the springbok hide rounds that has pie shaped segments of the various color phase springboks. I saw them there and when I got back to the USA I asked my taxidermist about making me one. He told me I should have simply bought one at the airport and had it shipped home.

Second thing to buy is some jackets/jerseys of the South African 'Springboks' rugby team. It's a universal symbol of RSA. The rugby team there is one of the few things that crosses the color lines in RSA and they are all equally proud of it.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote