New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dutch Consent Form
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is this still required to transit through Amsterdam. If so, what is link or contact to get it.

Thanks,

Larry

York, SC

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yes you do and you can find it here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...s/consentexample.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve. Do I fax this to them at that number. Do I need to send them flight itin for proof of travel.

Thanks for help,

Larry

York, SC

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You just complete the form and a letter of motivation which is similar to the SA one..... in other words say when, where & with whom you're hunting & fax both to the number there. Then they fax back the permission.

Don't forget to do it for both the outgoing and return flight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They want a "letter of invitation" from the outfitter in addition to their silly little form.

Total waste of everyone's time, but hey, in this age we are all slaves to our governments.

And I don't think they have any means to enforce this, as the baggage does not enter Holland, it's merely in transit. But I have heard a horror story about a guy who didn't have the silly piece of paper so it's not worth taking the risk

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he's right. It's invitation not motivation Sorry about my blonde moment.

That said, as long as the letter has the right info on it so they know you're hunting rather than gun running then the permits should come back quite quickly.

As I said, don't forget to do your return flight as well or your rifles won't make it home on the same flight as you.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Week before last while returning from Zim I met a fellow US hunter in Joberg.

He told me he was returning to the US from Zim. On his flight to Zim he flew through Amsterdam. He filled out the correct paperwork and had a letter of invitation from his outfitter in Zimbabwe which caused the officials in Amsterdam to hold his rifles and not ship them because of the arms embargo. He hunted with a borrowed rifle.

This is second hand but the guy seemed very reliable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a good point, the letter of invitation must be from a SOUTH AFRICAN outfitter. Or Namibia. Don't book your Zim flight on the same ticket, if that's where you are really headed.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
That raises a few interesting points.

Firstly, they always used to ignore the Zim arms embargo but if they're now paying attention to it, there may well be problems in the future. The reason they've started to ask for a letter of invitation must me because of the embargo but technically, it's bollocks because you're onward flight from AMS will usually end short of Zimbabwe.

Secondly, the arms embargo is TO Zimbabwe not FROM Zimbabwe and if they're holding firearms on your way back, that's gonna raise other issues.

Thirdly, providing a letter of invitation from a SA or Namibian outfitter when you're hunting in Zim and NOT in SA or Namibia might/will cause yet other issues........ and those particular ones might be especially dire.

Hmmm

Thinking about it, you'd obviously be crazy to fake a letter of invitation because of possible arms smuggling charges. Not only would it mean big shit if caught for the person concerned but it also might put the kibosh on other hunters travelling with firearms.

I'd say the easiest way to do it (at least for the moment) is to avoid transitting through any European country and instead fly direct from the USA to Johannesburg then use a meet and greet service to assist you with flying onto Zim.

Big Brother is watching more and more as every day goes on. Roll Eyes Confused

We'll try to look into it further.......

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd say the easiest way to do it (at least for the moment) is to avoid transitting through any European country

Steve, there's alot to be said for your consideration regarding this issue ..... actually my opinion as well. On the other hand it is ONLY a Form to be Faxed (Yeah, I buy into the WTF-Over/Why are we doing this Syndrome as well ..... ?) as ususal your advice sage.

Sadly anyone who books a flight with an airline that has a Code Share or is Joined at the Hip with KLM is probably going to end up with a Stopover in Amsterdam.

'Cept I would offer that the 2 primary European culprit/aggrevation Airports when traveling with Firearms as Amsterdam & ANYWHERE (transiting) the UK.

I don't hear too many horror stories concerning some of the other large European hubs, FKT, Paris & Madrid.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Gerry

I see your point mate..... the problem is that at least theoretically, the firearms embargo is Europe wide and any Euro country can enforce it anytime they like..... as would suddenly appear to be happening in this case.

At least if hunters avoid Europe all together, it'll mean one less problem to have to worry about.

The one thing hunters should NOT do is try to fabricate a dodgy invitation letter because I'll bet if they are caught, they'll almost certainly face firearms smuggling charges which not only will be very bad news for the person concerned (esp in this post 9/11 society in which we live) could well be very bad news for all hunters because I'd bet it would be used as an excuse to make travel with firearms even more complicated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least if hunters avoid Europe all together, it'll mean one less problem to have to worry about.

Me meeting you at the FKT Airport and paying for a coupla Beers is something to be avoided?

Wink

You are correct; I also attempt to use the K.I.S.S. Priciple when practical.

Yup; Not to get too far off Topic - Faking Paperwork - is a REALLY BAD idea.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mate, you can buy me a beer anytime you like! beer clap

The funny thing about all this BS is I remember a time when I had to fly from the UK to Zimbabwe to avoid the firearms embargo to RSA. jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
have a question about the form. What if there are a group of us and want to split up the ammo.

One hunter. Two rifles (one case). and then having the ammo split up between a few of us.

would we need to fill out more than one form, assuming the total ammo is over 5kg?

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do not expect to get the permit back well in advance as they will not fax it over 30 days prior to the flight. I had to call them 3 times before I had mine and at that it was just 10 days before I left.
I used KLM flights out of JFK followed all of KLM's requirements for firwarm travel an still had problems with the Dutch requirements at check in..I go the Frankfurt route now.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote