New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dubai Airport gun question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There are recently a lot of complaints in other forums about passing with guns via Dubai. I never had problems going via dubai but this was 2 years ago...

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
It must be Walter's fault!

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dubai is like Schiphol Airport in that the airport must be notified in advance of sporting firearms transiting and you do this in advance with your ticket agent.
http://www.countrysports.co.uk...Africa_reference.htm

Passeed through Dubai both directions with no problem last year - but it's not my favourite airport!! Hot, busy and they do their security screening when you LAND (so if you are knackered after a long flight, you will be even more knackered !). best thing obout transiting Dubai airport is the showers - if you have a couple of hours to wait, very cheap and very good for cooling off and refreshing (within the airport Hotel complex)

COUNTRYSPORTS.
Established 1984. Web sites: www.countrysports.co.uk & www.fishinginuk.co.uk SCOTLAND, ENGLAND, POLAND, SOUTH AFRICA

Posts: 95 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The airline must have details of the passengers travelling with firearms - I was told 2 weeks in advance.

We fly out of Dubai on Emirates every year to go hunting, and they generally get all the required permits done within 24 hours.

I make copies of these, and take them with us to the airport for checking in. Makes life much easier when you show them these.

One time a check in lady was a bit confused, and she called her supervisor, who went behind the counter with her, looked at her computer, and gave a her a bollocking!

He said "It is all there in the system, so there is no reason to delay them or call me!"

Actually there was no delay, as he was very close by.

I sent in my application Sunday morning, and got the approval in the fax machine this morning.

Now, could someome please tell me how to speed up the days so the 21 left pass a bit quicker?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The airline must have details of the passengers travelling with firearms - I was told 2 weeks in advance.

We fly out of Dubai on Emirates every year to go hunting, and they generally get all the required permits done within 24 hours.

I make copies of these, and take them with us to the airport for checking in. Makes life much easier when you show them these.

One time a check in lady was a bit confused, and she called her supervisor, who went behind the counter with her, looked at her computer, and gave a her a bollocking!

He said "It is all there in the system, so there is no reason to delay them or call me!"

Actually there was no delay, as he was very close by.

I sent in my application Sunday morning, and got the approval in the fax machine this morning.

Now, could someome please tell me how to speed up the days so the 21 left pass a bit quicker?

I am travelling to New Zealand next year, with guns. I am planning on using Emirates and I am considering stopping in Dubai for two or three days. Would that be a problem?
And how do you apply for those “required permits”?

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You have to notify Emirates what your plans are, and they will tell you what you need do.

The "required permits" are for firearms and and ammo to go through the security checkes and be accepted on board.

If no prior arrangement is made, you won't be able to fly.

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am considering stopping in Dubai for two or three days. Would that be a problem?

NO PROBLEM ! I have done it before and stored my guns by the police in the airport.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
Here is link to Emirates web site, hope this helps!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/a.../editorial_1666.shtm

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions:
Here is link to Emirates web site, hope this helps!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/a.../editorial_1666.shtm

Steve,

The above link is to the TSA rules, not Emirates.

If you have a link to Emirates requirements, we would appreciate you posting it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One needs to fill out a a form for Emirates and include copies of passport, 4457, itin, firearms permit from country you are traveling to.

This need to be sent (faxed) To Emirates prior to travel for approval.
Emirates obtains approval from the Dubai police department
I send mine to the NY office

Then you would need to follow up to make sure approval has been givin by checking on your reservation there will be notes in your record.

Also to have a copy of the paperwork you submitted with you while traveling

+++++++++++++++
From Emrites web site

Sporting weapons and ammunition

Firearms designed for sporting purposes, such as target pistols and rifles, air guns, safari rifles, hunting rifles, etc., may be carried as checked baggage on Emirates® flights under the following conditions:

The firearm must be completely unloaded and, if possible, dismantled and packed inside a suitcase or standard gun case.

The carriage of any type of firearms, ammunition and explosives, including items containing explosives, must be approved by Emirates® no less than three days before your flight. Please contact your nearest Emirates office to start the approval process. Please allow extra time for public holidays and weekends in your country of residence and the UAE.

Ammunition must be securely stored in a strong, sealed box packed inside a suitcase and surrounded by other contents. The suitcase must not bear an ‘Explosive’ label.

The maximum gross weight of the ammunition carried by any single passenger is 5 kg (11 lb). Passengers traveling in groups must carry ammunition in their own separate bags, with no single bag carrying more than the 5 kg (11 lb) limit.

The following special conditions apply to passengers wishing to carry firearms on flights into or through Dubai:

Passengers who wish to bring firearms and ammunition into the UAE must obtain prior clearance from UAE Customs and the UAE Ministry of Defense. To obtain this clearance, passengers must contact these government departments directly.

For transfer and transit passengers who are connecting to onward flights, prior clearance to travel with firearms and ammunition must be obtained from the Dubai Airport Police Department and the Department of Civil Aviation.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone

My apologies - copied the wrong link - Kathi has posted the information above - here is the link in the meantime.

http://www.emirates.com/us/eng...ls.aspx?faqId=214958

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote