THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Items without serial numbers / 4457 (Updated 10/4)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Items without serial numbers / 4457 (Updated 10/4)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted
My wife and I are 31 days away from our return trip to Africa. This will be a bow hunting trip and we are both taking our crossbows (Excalibur). Excalibur doesn't mark serial numbers on their bows. Both will be broken down into a rifle case.

I'm taking a half day to travel to the custom office tomorrow to get both bows on the 4457. The lady I spoke with today confirmed the hours of operation and to make sure the items going onto the 4457 have serial numbers. Since the crossbows don't have serial numbers I can foresee possible future problems.

Has anyone have any experience with items that do not have serial numbers but, you have included them on a 4457? Problems with TSA on verification? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Highlander7;

If you still have your original purchase receipt, I don't think you would need a 4457 for your bows. But since TSA always changes the rules...I suspect that a full description of make, model etc. should be enough for Customs to list it on a 4457.

However, I worry about everything, so don't listen to me!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To list an item on a 4457 the item is supposed to have a serial number. I once tried to get a scope that was already mounted put on a 4457 however the serial number was obscured by the rings so couldn't be entirely seen. The custom's officer would not put it on the 4457.

As D. Nelson said, an original purchase receipt would suffice as having the 4457 just proves that you had the item prior to leaving the US so don't need to pay duty on the item or have any import paperwork (This would be the problem with a firearm)to bring said item back into the country.

If you are really concerned (I would not be) you could possibly get one of those label makers and make up your own serial # and put it on the crossbow.

Have a good trip.

(Former Master Gunner Instructor at the Armor School here).

Regards,

Jason

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
In the past I've used both the original purchase receipt and also a homeowner's insurance list.
You can also use a stamp and put your own serial number on the stock of your crossbow. If it is stamped and can't be changed, that will also do. I did this on one very old rifle that did not have a serial number on it.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a rangefinder that the serial number is partially obscured. Customs would not let me add it to my 4457. Ended up getting along just fine without it.

Posts: 13 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bow hunting trip?? But taking cross bows, huh? Maybe it's a cross bow hunting trip? Just wondering.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International) Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Highlander7:
My wife and I are 31 days away from our return trip to Africa. This will be a bow hunting trip and we are both taking our crossbows (Excalibur). Excalibur doesn't mark serial numbers on their bows. Both will be broken down into a rifle case.

I'm taking a half day to travel to the custom office tomorrow to get both bows on the 4457. The lady I spoke with today confirmed the hours of operation and to make sure the items going onto the 4457 have serial numbers. Since the crossbows don't have serial numbers I can foresee possible future problems.

Has anyone have any experience with items that do not have serial numbers but, you have included them on a 4457? Problems with TSA on verification? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, buy a set of cheap stamps (Amazon, $20) and create your own serial number.

I've done this and no one has ever questioned otherwise.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Bow hunting trip?? But taking cross bows, huh? Maybe it's a cross bow hunting trip? Just wondering.

Larry Sellers

quote:

Thank you

First... Thanks you for all the responses. We are taking the sale receipt and making extra copies. Also there are good ideas about making your own serial number for items without serial numbers.

Secondly. Yes Larry. We are hunting African Plains game animals with our "crossbows." Tomayto/Tomahto.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have returned from South Africa the last two Julyss. Customs did not look at any of my archery equipment. I had no 4457 for them either.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt and I have absolutely nothing against crossbows or folks that choose them. Crossbows and "regular" bows, if you will, are two entirely different weapon choices. Not saying one is better than the other, simply making note of the differences. Again, have a great Adventure, you will be hooked on Mother Africa rest assured.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser (bow hunter as well)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Larry Sellers

quote:

Thank you

First... Thanks you for all the responses. We are taking the sale receipt and making extra copies. Also there are good ideas about making your own serial number for items without serial numbers.

Secondly. Yes Larry. We are hunting African Plains game animals with our "crossbows." Tomayto/Tomahto.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reason that you need a 4457 for Customs is upon your return to prove that an item was not purchased abroad and is therefore subject to import duties; or additionally in the case of a firearm, that you brought it with you from the U.S. so is being "returned" and not "imported".

Your crossbow was probably made in the U.S., and if so the Customs folks generally assume that you wouldn't have bought it overseas and therefore have no interest in it. So a 4457 is not particularly need -- for purposes of U.S. Customs.

HOWEVER, border agents in many foreign countries mistakenly regard the U.S. 4457 as a "permit" for a weapon. In some countries they might be insistent on seeing a 4457 for a crossbow (probably not, but it's possible.) And the chance exists that you could run across a rogue border agent who might use the absence of a 4457 as an excuse to confiscate your property.

So, the advice to place an identifying SN on your crossbows might be useful to you. Since crossbows are unregulated (unlike in 15th Century Europe when they were regarded something like Weapons of Mass Destruction), there is no restriction against putting whatever identifying "serial number" you wish on your property.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a bow hunt in Namibia. We flew through JNB., on exiting customs, an "officer" white guy demanded to see my 4457 for my bows. I told them it wasn't required for bows, he said he needed to see a purchase receipt. I told them the bow was purchased in 2006 and there was no receipt. I told him I had a copy of the rules in my hand, I had Steve Turners "Travel with Guns" documents and asked to see his supervisor and he let us pass on through....not sure if I really needed it or not and bluffed my way through.... never asked for anything at any airport on way home.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
drwes,

Thanks for the update. I was able to track down our sales receipts through Cabela's. I'm doubling down and using Air 2000 meet and greet. It's not going to hurt and worst case scenario we'll have someone to translate for us.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Stamp your own numbers into them...but do take your sales receipt

0000-000-4475-1

0000-000-4475-2

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I believe Excalibur crossbows are made in Canada...

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stamp your own serial number on it.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
I just returned yesterday from my trip. The weather (wind!) was not very cooperative which really put a damper on the hunting but, we did end up with a few animals including a Sable and Bush Pig.

I'm glad to report there was no hassle with TSA. They never asked or inspected my crossbows upon my return. We did however have TSA inspect them in New York (JFK). We watched the gentlemen open the case and carefully (and I mean very carefully) remove both broken down crossbows and inspect the inside. He laid the them on a table the exact way we I put them in the case. He then replace them in the exact order. My wife and I were extremely impressed. I can't say the SKB case was handled the same way my the baggage handlers. The case was brand new but it looks like it made 50 trips already.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber