New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning gun vault
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be traveling to RSA in about 3 weeks and was wondering the opinion of the Browning gun vault. I have used this case for two rifles around the US for flights with no problem. The internal foam has been cut to fit the two rifles we use. The outfitter I am using recommends the use of a hard steel or aluminum case. What are your thoughts, will this be alright?

Meat Eater.

Posts: 120 | Location: Northern Ohio | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have uses a Pelican case, I think they make the Browning gun vault, several times.

I prefer it to most metal cases.

Once my Pelican fell off the ramp loader, when it struck the side of the lane.

The bagagge handler had placed it wrong on the belt.
It scratched it a little but no cracks or no damage to the guns, a rifle, shotgun, and 3 handguns, plus some ammo.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
You are fine with either the Browning gun vault or the Pelican case. I have used both since 1991, all on international hunts to every continent they allow hunting in and have never had to readjust my scopes ever, let alone suffer any damage to the rifles.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about locks? do you use TSA approved or another key lock? this would be fore the Browning travel vault and the seperate ammo case.
I did have one incedent where the TSA did not relock my gun case. The locks were locked together on the handle. Even after I was told they would relock the case closed.

Meat Eater.

Posts: 120 | Location: Northern Ohio | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless they have changed TSA rules state that the owner/traveler with the guns is the only one that can have access to the inside of the case.

So under those rules no TSA locks on a gun case.

My gun cases have been opened several times by the TSA, I was always present.

Some times they handled the guns, sometimes I handled them.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To add to what 450#2 said, ask the TSA to put their "TSA Inspected" tape around your gun case AND you ammo case after they are done and in you prescence. If your ammo is in your checked luggage, tell the ticket agent you want to take it to the TSA for their inspection too. Hopefully this will discourage other TSA agents along your route from cutting off your lock out of curiosity or less noble reasons. If the agents have an issue with your ammo, you are there to explain things (and show them your copy of their regs, DOT's, your airline's etc). Worst case, you at least know ASAP if they confiscate anything and can start arranging replacements while you wait for your flight. If the ammo is especially expensive (kynoch big bore, a few boxes of Fed 470, etc) have a buddy wait until you clear them before they leave the airport. And always carry a few spare locks for your return trip just in case.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2006 my SKB case came w/ TSA locks installed from the factory. Pretty sure they still come that way.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RVL III
I guess you can always take them off and use them on your other checked bags? Nice of them to include them, but you can't use them on your gun case per TSA rules!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
In 2006 my SKB case came w/ TSA locks installed from the factory. Pretty sure they still come that way.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That is correct, Under the law and the regulations, you are the only one that can have a key to the locks on the gun case. Having TSA locks on your gun case violates the law and the regs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used my double rifle browning/pelican case on hunts to the NWT, Alaska and Africa and have had no scope or rifle problems. I do however, cut an additional area out of the foam for my bolt that is enclosed in bubble wrap. I did use the TSA locks to the NWT with no problems but have changed over to combo locks for the last two trips and yes do take spares. Mine comes in pretty much under the 50 lb max even with heavy rifles.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had no trouble with TSA in St. Louis or Detroit. They just wanted me to unlock and then the questions began. I think they were all gun enthusiasts. Wanted to know about the guns, who built them, about the hunt. Same with customs. Pleasant and professional all around. Allowed me to lock them up and I was off again.

Dutch

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
4 trips to Africa and 2 trips out west with Browning Gun Vault....2 guns each trip. No worries at all....worked perfect. Africa trips included doubles and bolts.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an SKB with the built in TSA locks. Am I to understand that now these locks are not legal? I believe they are the only way to lock the case. If I travel to Africa again, what do I do? If i use the TSA locks, will there be a problem? I wonder if I can add an external lock. And when did they change the regs to NOT use TSA locks? I bought my case in '06

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spinedoc - I would suggest coming up with another lock system and avoid the TSA thing. Use Enough Gun - can expound on this matter better than I can. Just know it's against the TSA rules now so I don't use them on any kind of guncase.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by spinedoc:
I have an SKB with the built in TSA locks. Am I to understand that now these locks are not legal? I believe they are the only way to lock the case. If I travel to Africa again, what do I do? If i use the TSA locks, will there be a problem? I wonder if I can add an external lock. And when did they change the regs to NOT use TSA locks? I bought my case in '06

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The browning gun vault is a quality case, better than many aluminum or metal cases. I have used it extensively, even just last month for a trip to Africa.
Use the gun vault and rest assured you have done your part to get your guns there safely.

I've never had a problem with TSA cutting locks off a gun case (luggage is another issue!), but I still cut a small piece of foam out, and keep two extra spare locks in the gun case when traveling. I actually bought a set of 4 brass padlocks at home depot, which all take the same key. Two go on the case to lock it, and the other two inside (unlocked) in case they are needed by some inspector during travel.

Good Luck on you hunt.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, I just got of the phone with Kendra at the TSA dept. She tls me that with a gun case, it must be a hard backed case with a lock that only the gun owner/traveler has access to. I stopped her and said what if I have built in TSA locks on my case? She stated that they were OK as well. I then said 'so to get this straight; I can have either TSA locks OR a standard lock?'. She said that it was OK with either. I then suggested that her wording of the law makes it seem as though a TSA lock would be illegal as someone other than the hunter/traveler could open it. She replied that, no, it was OK. So I don't know if that helps or not. Since I bowhunt I asked about a bow in that same case, and she said that would need TSA locks on it, only guns have the option of the other locks. The bottom line appears to be that they can get you one way or the other, and they really don't know what they are doing Smiler