New
Find
Notify
Tools

Routes to Moz.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the options for flying into northern Mozambique? Any way to avoid Johannesburg?

Posts: 553 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve been researching flights to Biera, Moz from DFW with the intent to skip Joburg. Both Qatar and Emirates fly into Harare and there are reasonably priced flights from HRE to Biera ($300-325 round trip), don’t know about other airports in Moz. Seems viable to me but haven’t researched the whole firearm transfer issue and that might well make it a no-go.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2906 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ongwe,

JHB is not that big a deal. Use a safari savvy agent such as Gracy Travel, Travel With Guns, Kathi Klimes etc. They can organize a meet/greet in JHB to take all the angst out of your transit through OR Tembo. I also recommend you buy a Pelican 1614 suitcase to avoid any possible pilferage of your luggage. Theft at the airport in JHB seems to be the big issue and this Pelican case will prevent that. They're about $310 and well worth it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ethiopian flies Washington Dulles to Maputo, the capitol. Only stop is in Addis Ababa. Not sure that would help. Second what Mark said, you can overnight at Afton House and they will walk you through and help you with your firearm. Just be sure to check your bags at JNB.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I would avoid Ethiopian Airlines at all costs. I flew them in July of this year. Flight from ORD to Addis was delayed due to slow boarding by the ground crew. While airborne I checked with the Chief Flight Attendant about my concern about missing my connection flight to Windhoek. She assured me they’d hold the flight for us. She lied- it was long gone when we landed. I was forced to spend a whole day in a fleabag hotel in Addis, watching Muslim women begging all around the hotel. As a result of having missed my flight, I had to fly the next day to Joberg then connect to Windhoek. My flight arrived in Windhoek at 8:00 PM, a day and a half late. The Addis airport is a snakepit- long lines, no air conditioning and surly security staff.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
I would avoid Ethiopian Airlines at all costs. I flew them in July of this year. Flight from ORD to Addis was delayed due to slow boarding by the ground crew. While airborne I checked with the Chief Flight Attendant about my concern about missing my connection flight to Windhoek. She assured me they’d hold the flight for us. She lied- it was long gone when we landed. I was forced to spend a whole day in a fleabag hotel in Addis, watching Muslim women begging all around the hotel. As a result of having missed my flight, I had to fly the next day to Joberg then connect to Windhoek. My flight arrived in Windhoek at 8:00 PM, a day and a half late. The Addis airport is a snakepit- long lines, no air conditioning and surly security staff.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I've flown through there several times and it's been a good experience for the most part. Just my opion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
I’ve been researching flights to Biera, Moz from DFW with the intent to skip Joburg. Both Qatar and Emirates fly into Harare and there are reasonably priced flights from HRE to Biera ($300-325 round trip), don’t know about other airports in Moz. Seems viable to me but haven’t researched the whole firearm transfer issue and that might well make it a no-go.

That was what I was wondering about, or even fly into Dar and a regional jet to Pemba. But so far, no joy.

Thanks!

Posts: 553 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always went via Lisbon, spent the layover at hotel near airport. Rifle checked through.

Posts: 1096 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote